Feeling a bit lonely now...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

corned

MB Enthusiast
Car
car
Only a few months ago, and for a long time up to then, I was one of 7 or 8 in my area with 211s. One by one they have disappeared and replaced with newer shiny German motors. This morning I discovered that I am now the last of the breed. Every other 211 has now been replaced with something else.

"What?" I hear you say. This is the interesting part. Without exception, they have all been replaced with 5-series BMWs.

As I don't know any of them, I can hardly go round and ask why, but I suppose it is really down to one of two things. Either they were fed up with the 211 and it's problems, or it was time anyway for an upgrade and they didn't fancy a 212.

Is it just this area, or is this phenomenon more widespread?

Don't feel sad.. I moved from a 211 to a CLS - underneath almost the same car! :)

feel special .. you are not part of a herd :)

The F10 and F11 5 series was always going to be a problem for W/S212.

Like them or loathe them, they appear a lot of car for the money, being based off the 7 series platform.

The F10 and F11 5 series was always going to be a problem for W/S212.

Like them or loathe them, they appear a lot of car for the money, being based off the 7 series platform.

"Appear" is the operative word. When looking recently, I specced up a 5-series to match an E-class base spec and it took a fair amount of cash.

I've also been surprised at the amount of money BMW are throwing at the fleet market (or at least the companies that we deal with). MB are currently giving our largest supplier close to 30% off list, and BMW is more than that!

Hence, when the new one arrives, what with the reduction in monthly cost as well as the reduction in BIK tax due to substantially lower emissions, I'll be close to £200/mth better off.

BMW are throwing massive money at the fleet market originally on our company car list the 520d was in the Exec band A it has now dropped to Band D (sales rep) because of the insanely cheap fleet price you can purchase them for. MB still only offer minimal discount to large fleet users

Mercator said:
I agree, every rep in the country seems to be driving up and down the M40 in a 520d.

And how lucky they are. Nice big car that doesn't rust or breakdown. BMWs are awesome. I love them.

*** said:
And how lucky they are. Nice big car that doesn't rust or breakdown. BMWs are awesome. I love them.

Even beemers have their issues, a family member has a 320d which has just had a new steering rack fitted due to a common fault.... Just shy of the £1k mark to fit, then there's the swirl flap issue which,ok has been solved on facelift models but there's still a lot out there yet to go pop...

They do also like their turbos and their manifolds but personally, it's just typical of the modern car.

However I did see a lovely looking Kia the other day, looked great! And that's being honest!

But then I look at my brothers 520d m..... Green is the word...

Last edited:
BMW's are so boring now adays they are everywhere, where I work we have UK BMW finance / dealer and I must see about 50 - 60 of them a day, nothing special about them at all.

No doubt they drive well, etc.. but your an idiot if you think they are hassle free.

My Dad was so looking forward to the S212 after loving his S211 for 7 plus years. However when it came to drive it / try it he is not so taken...

Maybe the other S211 owners were in the same boat. Company car tax would not sway my father its how the car feels inside and out. He's now holding out for the CLS break.

I think a change is sometimes required to make you appreciate what you had / miss. I've had a few BMW's nice cars but not the be all and end all the marketing team have you believe,

Funny enough if and when I swap my S211 (which was my dads) I would be more than happy with a S212...

The BMW estate does not appeal to me.

I would think most of the BMW 520d's are company cars rather than privately bought and although I've no idea on the fiigures I suspect the discounts are better hence far more of them.

I hardly see an S212's to be honest, not a great seller? loads of C-class's though...odd

I agree, every rep in the country seems to be driving up and down the M40 in a 520d.

My brother's just had his swapped for a Mondeo. He ain't very happy!

Most of the new-around-here 5-series' seem to be in the 07 to 59 plate range, so I assume they are much more likely to be private second-hand purchases, not company/lease/rent/etc.

Mine has been busy today trying to redeem itself...

Attachments

• 10052012203.jpg
    10052012203.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 180
Give it time there all be back to mercs when they pull the switch to close the window & the wipers come on.

corned said:
Most of the new-around-here 5-series' seem to be in the 07 to 59 plate range, so I assume they are much more likely to be private second-hand purchases, not company/lease/rent/etc.

Mine has been busy today trying to redeem itself...

Be careful. Your wood will rot in there.

Mines been very busy latey...pulling, towing and carrying.

a8b76ef5.jpg

ea6a788c.jpg

19e9005a.jpg

d216a2e6.jpg

Its generally earning its keep.

Mines been very busy latey...pulling, towing and carrying.

d216a2e6.jpg

Its generally earning its keep.

Lovin those wheels :thumb:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom