Feeling of doom...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidjpowell

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 w212 and Ford Ranger
The W211 is in for a service today.

The mechanic rang and asked if I would like a list of the problems that need attending to! I'll add the list when I get it.

I've only had the car 7 weeks, so will be talking to the trader that I bought it from. I have a strong suspicion that he will be trying to point out that the bill of sale said it was a trade sale.

At the time I took a view on this, as my suspicion was strong that this was not worth the paper it was written on, given that I am not trade.

Have I got this right? I think I might be heading for a battle.....

David

why accept a receipt that stated it was a trade sale ?

I know. But as I did not think that term would be valid, I did not argue at the time. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

what difference would it make if it didn't say trade? i didn't know a garage had any obligation to fix things after you've bought the car? assuming the garage wasn't MB?

what difference would it make if it didn't say trade? i didn't know a garage had any obligation to fix things after you've bought the car? assuming the garage wasn't MB?

If you're a private buyer (i.e. not trade) you have quite a lot of protection... including things like fit for purpose... Have a look here, not bad info:
Used car buying - legal advice -  Bangernomics - MSN Cars UK

IIRC, if a car is sold as "trade" to non-trade I remember reading something on the lines of you are still protected... but I can't find any info on it!

its normally when you haggle to a price so low the trader says "ok if you take it as it is, as a trade sale we have a deal " ????

As above - what are the main faults?

And out of interest, what's the age/mileage of the car? Was it cheap?

I'm still waiting to find out what is on the list. Now my partner has got some keys she appears to have vanished in the Saab....

I'm expecting Ball Joints x 2, maybe a bearing and maybe some bushes (suspension clonk from rear).

Car was not expensive, but not that cheap either. 120k 2003 w211.

^ Maybe the springs to

hmm.

Rear shocks are leaking oil.

The mechanic could not identify the source of the knocking noise (I think it's ball joints) or the wheel bearing type sound.

First time I've used this guy (been recommended) so I'm not sure if I am impressed.

In any case depending on how expensive shock absorbers are it's not as bad as I first thought....

that seems high mileage for the year, or am I thinking wrong, do you have the service history, ball joints arnt that expensive to replace but rest not sure, someone else will know better

I'm still waiting to find out what is on the list. Now my partner has got some keys she appears to have vanished in the Saab....

I'm expecting Ball Joints x 2, maybe a bearing and maybe some bushes (suspension clonk from rear).

Car was not expensive, but not that cheap either. 120k 2003 w211.

no pub for you then.. oh wait.. its not thursday :p

Technically if the dealer knows you are private, then the Sale of Goods Act applies..

However its really not very sporting to negotiate down to trade price deal and then expect the dealer to stump up for repairs... Thats simply trying having it both ways and really very unfair to the dealer...

Like i said, you could probably push for it, but to me it wouldnt be right to do this as you wanted the car without a warranty and morals would say that you should now take it on the chin.

In future, never sign away your statutory rights... You simply cannot know what is around the corner.

this was more the trader slipping it in in their standard terms of sale, than me negotiating all of his profit away. Bit crafty of him really.

I've actually been very fair to him already I feel, although now I've got some idea of costs it will be easier to take on the chin, then deal with someone 250 miles away

Did you test drive the car? If so ball joints and bearing noise should have been picked up. Leaks is another matter.

I did, but not for long as little fuel and as the trader was in London and quite some distance from any fast road, it was all pretty much fruitless really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom