Feeling the pressure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 6183

My Mrs has bought me a pressure cooker to experiment with.

I plan to go to the butcher tomorrow and ask for his suggestions for the best meat to cook in this way.

I'm assuming that he'll say cheap/tough cuts of beef or lamb.

Does anyone have any tips to pass on for this method of cooking?

As the cooker itself was cheap and the meat will be too I am quite happy to try out something different.

I'm thinking some kind of curry or chilli and, possibly, pulled meat of some kind but equally happy to look at Sunday roast type meals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to have a pressure cooker back in the 80's to do the veg in double quick time, but never cooked meat in it. I think a "slow" cooker would be better for either a curry or chilli but good luck trying it out.

Oh, we binned the pressure cooker ages ago for lack of use.

Used to have a pressure cooker back in the 80's to do the veg in double quick time, but never cooked meat in it. I think a "slow" cooker would be better for either a curry or chilli but good luck trying it out.

Oh, we binned the pressure cooker ages ago for lack of use.

Thanks, I've done the slow cooker to death, both oven/hob/electric.

I'm thinking that cooking trends come and go and our Grannies were scared of the pressure cooker which appeals to me in itself.

My initial plans are to give the meat (and herb/spice) a head start in the pressure cooker and finish with a sauce reduction on the hob before putting the meat back in - so to speak!

I'm thinking that the pressure cooking method should tenderise cheap/tough cuts plus inject flavour and moisture.

Time will tell I suppose, i will report back.

Mum had one years ago. Had 3 dividing baskets inside. Can only remember it being used for vegetables & for cooking Christmas puds.

Shin beef all the way - the sinews etc. do the thickening for you! (Bit of dried tangerine peel gives a very subtle flavour)

Oxtail is pretty good too

Lewy, you are absolutely right and so is Gollum. I no longer use a pressure cooker as it's just K and I, but used to do stunning stews in mine.

Shin beef all the way - the sinews etc. do the thickening for you! (Bit of dried tangerine peel gives a very subtle flavour)

Oxtail is pretty good too

Damn keep shin quiet. Best cut ever for flavour. If everyone catches on the price will rocket.

Chicken & Mushroom Pot Noodles. :thumb:

Don't forget to peel the lid off first. :doh:

Right.

Change of plan Re the beof.

I didn't have time to get to the butchers as work went mental yesterday, I was passing Lidl earlier and popped in for a mooch.

I picked up a beef cooking joint instead, remember that the plan was a cheap bit of meat for this experiment.

Half the joint was cut into steaks and browned in the cooker and I added dried Ancho chilli, onions, garlic and a large tin of lager to bring the fluid up to the min level.

It's been on for nearly half an hour and I'll be cracking it open to add the rest of the ingredients for a chilli con carne before I simmer for a couple of hours.

So far it smells delicious.

I think that I was a bit too gentle on the pressure as, after half an hour, the result was tough meat and a lot of liquid.

I've ramped up the pressure and put it back on for a bit, it's like a beefy/chilli/beery sauna in here now!

And we're off!

The meat has tenderised in the pressure cooker and I've added the bay leaf, smoked paprika, hot paprika, cumin, coriander and Siracha sauce.

It's now simmering in an open pan, I think that Ive forgotten something.

Fresh chillis!

Off to the fridge.

Don't use a pressure cooker but we do use a slow cooker a lot.

Don't use a pressure cooker but we do use a slow cooker a lot.

I think that it's the same effect but in a lot less time.

the Mrs has bunged a chicken in there now, no idea how that will turn out.

I think that it's the same effect but in a lot less time.

the Mrs has bunged a chicken in there now, no idea how that will turn out.

Is the chicken dead? :bannana:
:bannana:

lewyboy said:
And we're off! The meat has tenderised in the pressure cooker and I've added the bay leaf, smoked paprika, hot paprika, cumin, coriander and Siracha sauce. It's now simmering in an open pan, I think that Ive forgotten something. Fresh chillis! Off to the fridge.

What you have forgotten in a chilli is to add two squares of serious cooking chocolate and stir in at the last minute... (IMHO)

What you have forgotten in a chilli is to add two squares of serious cooking chocolate and stir in at the last minute... (IMHO)

I didn't forget, I'm just not keen on the chocolate, or coffee for that matter. However, I did find a bottle of dark beer with hints of coffee and chocolate which was great in a previous version.

A bottle of Cola has done well in chilli for me in the past too but I went with a couple of sugar cubes tonight.

Is the chicken dead? :bannana:
:bannana:

Yep, the chicken totally collapsed, she pulled all the meat off the bones which were so soft that I was able to pour them down the waste disposal.

Not for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom