Feels like I'm home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JTK909, May 30, 2017.

1. JTK909

JTK909 New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI SE 2014
    Hi everyone,
    Having had various Mercedes C and E class cars for years I had a five year dalliance with another make of car. That was good and latterly turned bad so last week I have returned to what I know and love and got a used 63 reg E220 CDI, W212 facelift I believe it's also know as. I must say I am very impressed and pleased with it so far, even better than I remember from my Mercs from years ago.

There are one or two new things I am having to get used to, e.g. the cruise control stalk now being below the indicator/wiper stalk and the auto shift now being a stalk instead of the lever in the centre console.

Another thing I'd appreciate if someone could confirm is regarding the steering lock, or lack thereof. On my other Mercs when I put the key in the lock I could hear the steering lock mechanism disengaging and engaging when the key is removed. Now with this car there is no sound at all when the key is inserted or removed. Is this correct and how it is supposed to be now? Otherwise the key works perfectly, turns, switches everything on and starts the car.

Thanks for any info!

2. Davycc

Davycc Active Member

Car:
    2001 W203 C320 Elegance
    Welcome in, enjoy your car.

3. WOODYTHEWISE

WOODYTHEWISE MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E 500 Coupe.
    Hello and welcome to you. Not sure about the key, perhaps you could remove the key and check the steering?.

4. DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 740Li
    It's a good point, I cannot recall the last time that I had to wriggle the steering wheel while unlocking with the key.

I wonder how that works with keyless go?

5. OP
    OP
    JTK909

JTK909 New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI SE 2014
    Thanks for the welcome :)

With the key removed and the steering wheel moved from side to side there is nothing, so doesn't seem to be a lock.

6. Delayed Steve

Delayed Steve Active Member

Car:
    2016 C200 coupe
    I'm sure the steering lock is electronic. If it still uses the same principle a steering lock was basically a bolt that went into a slot on the steering column, so the steering wheel will turn until the two line up.
    That how they used to work, I'm not sure if that's still the case someone on here might know different.

7. guhvies

guhvies Active Member

Car:
    2017 C43 AMG Saloon
    The steering lock is electronic. Putting the key into the ignition should unlock the steering. With the key out of the ignition, the steering should be locked and have minimal movement. WRT keyless go, on my C43, the steering doesn't move until I've pressed the ignition button. @JTK909, I'd get the dealer to fix your steering.

8. OP
    OP
    JTK909

JTK909 New Member

Car:
    E220 CDI SE 2014
    OK thanks for that, I'll get them to check it out.

Tags: