Ferrari Porsche McLaren Amg killer for £35k new.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I agree, unlikely as a replacement but I could easily imagine plenty of Ferrari, Porsche, McLaren and AMG owners wanting a Yaris GR alongside their other cars though.

I’m fairy confident that it would be faster down a B-road than most of the above though. Being smaller, more nimble, less valuable and AWD would make up for any disadvantage in top speed or acceleration.
Totally agree Bobby, I expect to see plenty of supercar owners add these to their fleet...

This is what really excites me about the GR...

"In three hours of driving, the vast majority of it very spirited, and all of it on bomb-cratered B roads, the GR's chassis did not produce a single memorable instance of an abrasive or ungainly response to the kind of intrusions that would typically flummox three-stage dampers. Defying expectation, the ride and handling compromise struck by the Yaris's passive suspension is exemplary. It floats like the proverbial butterfly on what feels like miles of spring travel, and then reigns it all back in just enough to inspire enormous confidence when cornering.
Plainly, everything has been arranged in its favour. The body shell features 259 more weld points than the standard Yaris and almost twice the amount of structural adhesive. Detailed improvements abound - all with the aim of dramatically increasing the GR's torsional rigidity. The chassis itself is no less trick than the engine: improved stiffness and weight reduction have been sought - and delivered - everywhere. Toyota merely calls the dampers 'exclusive'. Lord knows what they cost."

Plenty of cars are quicker 0-60 (even my diesel estate!) yet I doubt many will flow with as much confidence, and speed, over a twisty B road, especially with the conditions of our roads!

I'd have one tomorrow as our second car, unfortunately the homologation special doesn't interest the wife!

Even my lumbering SL500 would give it a run for its money, my S5 would only see it in the rear view mirror and I bet it runs out of puff well before the 100mph mark.

The Yaris beats the SL500 (just) to 60 and beats it to 100mph by nearly 3 secs according to a quick Google.

That's before it even gets to the first corner where the Yaris will shine

It's fast and lightweight, nimble that's why it's a supercar slayer

For about the same price as a new Yaris GR you could always go for a real rally car and be guaranteed nothing bar a WRC would be quicker across country.

That's before it even gets to the first corner where the Yaris will shine

It's fast and lightweight, nimble that's why it's a supercar slayer

What we need is for the Stig to put it round the Top Gear track ;) Looking at the TG lap times, the fastest rally-bred 4WD special I can see is the Prodrive P2 (Impreza-based) in 67th place on the leaderboard. Followed by the Evo FQ-400 in 72nd place ...

Let's compare the specs. for the Prodrive P2:
  • 1100 kg
  • 345 bhp
  • 575 Nm
  • 0-60 in 3.8 secs
  • Top speed 174 mph

With the Yaris GR:
  • 1280 kg
  • 257 bhp
  • 360 Nm
  • 0-62 in 5.5 secs
  • Top speed 142 mph

Not looking good for supercar slaying, IMHO.

I think we're all missing the point here. A homologation special is only built as the rally rules require any manufacturer to build so many examples for general purchase to stop them building a one of special costing 20 Billion pounds that blitzes everything else.
I previously owned a Colt Lancer Turbo, only 425 were imported to the UK, but I believe it was the first car ever, with an ECU. We later learned that an ECU was programmable. Not only turbocharged, it had vented discs front & rear and a whole host of things that did not belong on a road car at that time. The point of having all these trick features, meant the rally team could use them as the rally car had to be based on a standard car that you could buy in the showroom. They were also allowed to upgrade these features to a certain, although limited extent, but if the features were not on the standard car, you could not add them.
Which brings me to a point I made earlier, how many of us have owned a car that has 4wd but disconnects drive to the rear wheels when you pull on the handbrake?

And before anyone asks, you've never heard of a Colt Lancer Turbo because it was built at the same time as the Audi Quattro and 4wd usually had such an advantage over everything else.

I think we're all missing the point here. A homologation special is only built as the rally rules require any manufacturer to build so many examples for general purchase to stop them building a one of special costing 20 Billion pounds that blitzes everything else.
I previously owned a Colt Lancer Turbo, only 425 were imported to the UK, but I believe it was the first car ever, with an ECU. We later learned that an ECU was programmable. Not only turbocharged, it had vented discs front & rear and a whole host of things that did not belong on a road car at that time. The point of having all these trick features, meant the rally team could use them as the rally car had to be based on a standard car that you could buy in the showroom. They were also allowed to upgrade these features to a certain, although limited extent, but if the features were not on the standard car, you could not add them.
Which brings me to a point I made earlier, how many of us have owned a car that has 4wd but disconnects drive to the rear wheels when you pull on the handbrake?

And before anyone asks, you've never heard of a Colt Lancer Turbo because it was built at the same time as the Audi Quattro and 4wd usually had such an advantage over everything else.
I'd heard of it!😝😅

I’m currently trying to construct a convincing argument as to why we need one of these. My first attempts have not been successful. Still trying.

They’re loving it in the Best Drivers’ Car 2020 in Autocar today
Track and road evaluation

1605732103749.png

Will order if i can get very young child insured.

That looks great, and reminiscent of the yobbo Subaru Imprezas of my youth. The Impreza’s the only car I’ve bought more than one of (I had 3) and every single time I drove one I got out with a grin on my face. I think Toyota have been brave to bring this to market in the days of eco this and hybrid that, and I hope they sell a bucket load of them.

Cheers,

Gaz

I ended up with a WRX STI Type R, remapped of course by Bob Rawle. What a hoot. First time I was aware of Subaru was as a passenger in Melbourne.

Daft and silly cars, it probably out performed the Sierra Cosworth Sapphire I bought from BBR (anyone remember the Mogul they did also?)

A bit like the 2006 (or thereabouts) 4 door Mazda 6. as I remember they bought out an MPS version with 250bhp , all wheel drive , bigger brakes . fixed rear seats due to body stiffening etc etc .

Saloon only , looked like your moms car but had balls and some real potential for tuning. I assume there are still some around , probably got a fanboy club.

I’m currently trying to construct a convincing argument as to why we need one of these. My first attempts have not been successful. Still trying.

it avoids any new "capital asset tax" on money in the piggy bank....

Anyone remember the Mazda 323 Turbo 4*4 Rallye from the late 80s?

That was a real Q car....

Yaris GR

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom