Ferrari Porsche McLaren Amg killer for £35k new.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
without reading all the thread, bar the initial post i certainly cant see any owners/manufacturers m of the performance cars mentioned in the title being concerned or swapping for a Toyota Yaris.

I wonder when we’ll stop using the irrelevant 0-62 (or 0-60) as a measure of performance?

Yes it’ll tell us that a 2020 Corvette is the equal of a 911 GT3 RS, but we know “in a second” that that’s irrelevant, in much the same way that we know that the Tesla S isn’t usable as an AMG or M Series. (Not that Tesla Eco / battery warriors have the slightest interest in using its speed beyond 0-30 at some traffic lights.)

And no, I’m not talking launch control, road surface traction, or the superiority of 5-62 as a measure of raw acceleration beyond initial tyre grip..

They joy of this Yaris seems to be in its driveability o real world (e.g. British) roads which simply isn’t measurable with a single number.

The absolute rubbish 5.8 second 0-62 number for a Testarossa doesn’t make it less of a pleasure to own and drive.

Attachments

• FF15CA5D-E5B6-4FA8-AC92-6ED584CDCAD9.jpeg
    FF15CA5D-E5B6-4FA8-AC92-6ED584CDCAD9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I wonder when we’ll stop using the irrelevant 0-62 (or 0-60) as a measure of performance?

Yes it’ll tell us that a 2020 Corvette is the equal of a 911 GT3 RS, but we know “in a second” that that’s irrelevant, in much the same way that we know that the Tesla S isn’t usable as an AMG or M Series. (Not that Tesla Eco / battery warriors have the slightest interest in using its speed beyond 0-30 at some traffic lights.)

And no, I’m not talking launch control, road surface traction, or the superiority of 5-62 as a measure of raw acceleration beyond initial tyre grip..

They joy of this Yaris seems to be in its driveability o real world (e.g. British) roads which simply isn’t measurable with a single number.

The absolute rubbish 5.8 second 0-62 number for a Testarossa doesn’t make it less of a pleasure to own and drive.
It all depends on what you want out of a car I guess, but the classic 0-60/0-62 is a decent benchmark of acceleration off the line.

Unfortunately British roads do involve a lot of traffic and traffic lights etc, as well as overtaking and the ability to drop a couple of gears and make progress is appealing in a performance car.

Of course there are cars with other qualities that are harder to measure including classics and the like, but no harm in having several measures that can be used when comparing models.

It all depends on what you want out of a car I guess, but the classic 0-60/0-62 is a decent benchmark of acceleration off the line.

Who worries about whether their c350e is only as good as a 30 year old Ferrari Testarossa “off the line?”

if it was important we would have all switched to Nissan Volts, e-Golfs or Teslas by now.

They put a tacky looking carbon fibre roof wrap on top of actual carbon fibre because it's cheaper than the clear top coat .

They put a tacky looking carbon fibre roof wrap on top of actual carbon fibre because it's cheaper than the clear top coat .

Mercedes use tacky looking Chrome pastic on their dashes because its cheaper than actual Chrome...

Must admit i'm slightly confused by these things. The Yaris and in the same vein the Golf R do absolutely nothing for me at all. Because they are basically still a Yaris and a Golf, however quick they are. Would i turn back to look at either after parking it? Not a chance.

The Abarth 695 Biposto with the dog ring gearbox is better but i'm still not sure (may be biased as we have an Abarth 500)

But then show me a Metro 6R4, Renault 5 Gordini or of course a Delta Integrale and i feel completely different - i would take any of those in a shot, finances permitting. 😍😍😍😍😍 Though those cars theoretically i should feel the same about as i do the Golf R and the Yaris thing.

See, i said i was confused. 🤔

Must admit i'm slightly confused by these things. The Yaris and in the same vein the Golf R do absolutely nothing for me at all. Because they are basically still a Yaris and a Golf, however quick they are. Would i turn back to look at either after parking it? Not a chance.

The Abarth 695 Biposto with the dog ring gearbox is better but i'm still not sure (may be biased as we have an Abarth 500)

But then show me a Metro 6R4, Renault 5 Gordini or of course a Delta Integrale and i feel completely different - i would take any of those in a shot, finances permitting. 😍😍😍😍😍 Though those cars theoretically i should feel the same about as i do the Golf R and the Yaris thing.

The only thing which is the same as a standard Yaris are the Lights and windscreen, the rest is a ground up custom Homoligation car, totally different than the Golf R which is just a large engined Golf.

A
The only thing which is the same as a standard Yaris are the Lights and windscreen, the rest is a ground up custom Homoligation car, totally different than the Golf R which is just a large engined Golf.
Ah in that case i think a real missed opportunity - they could have created a modern day Japanese Lancia Stratos or RS200 equivalent! I guess they might be thinking people will see the GR and be tempted to buy a normal Yaris instead?

A

Ah in that case i think a real missed opportunity - they could have created a modern day Japanese Lancia Stratos or RS200 equivalent! I guess they might be thinking people will see the GR and be tempted to buy a normal Yaris instead?

Its not a missed opportunity at all :) Why is it? - Its been all over the Internet, Youtube for past couple of months, large back orders.

It is a modern day Stratos equivalent - just it has to work within the stritch modern safety/emissions laws etc.

Last edited:

Renault 5 gordini turbo. Now you are talking. Best alloys ever. The group B Turbo 2 was a bit of alright as well.

Of course there are some of the opinion that the best car in the world is a Mercedes e class diesel estate. Does everything. Fast, frugal, comfortable and you can fit the kitchen sink in the back. If you do not like diesels then the V8 e class estates offer all you need.

A

The GR is very much a modern day classic.

A

Worth a watch -

1627049569394.png

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Why does this site block you tube?

Toyota must have a very good PR department. Anyone remember the hype when the GT-86 launched?

Last edited:
Its not a missed opportunity at all :) Why is it? - Its been all over the Internet, Youtube for past couple of months, large back orders.

It is a modern day Stratos equivalent - just it has to work within the stritch moden safety/emissions laws etc.
It looks rubbish. No i do get what you're saying. I'm sure they're amazing to drive but i just don't get excited when i look at them. Even when say the RS200 was new (so discounting the classic bias i might have now) i would get excited when i saw one. That's why i'm confused why i just don't feel anything for the Yaris. I'm not saying they're rubbish (apart from looks) but for me they're just not desirable.

It is a modern day Stratos equivalent - just it has to work within the stritch modern safety/emissions laws etc.
It isn't. All it has in common with a Stratos is both were designed to compete in rallying. Mention a Toyota GR Yaris in 45 years from now and nobody will have a clue what you're talking about. 45 years from Lancia building the Stratos, their name doesn't even have to be mentioned for anyone to remember the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom