Ferrari - The Rare, The Fast and The Ugly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had a 348 Targa Red with Black interior and a 355 Targa Red with Creme Interior.

The 355 is (in my opinion) one of the best looking cars they have built. It suits nearly all colours and is beautiful to drive. I miss them both.

brucemillar said:
I had a 348 Targa Red with Black interior and a 355 Targa Red with Creme Interior. The 355 is (in my opinion) one of the best looking cars they have built. It suits nearly all colours and is beautiful to drive. I miss them both.
355 are lovely cars. My business partner was going to buy a used GTS in about 2007 but the running costs put him off so he bought a Porsche C4 convertible instead.

Ferraris have always struck me as (mostly) beautiful, but ludicrously over-priced and over-hyped. I might of course feel differently if there was any prospect of my ever being able to afford one, but I don't think I would.

Ferraris have always struck me as (mostly) beautiful, but ludicrously over-priced and over-hyped. I might of course feel differently if there was any prospect of my ever being able to afford one, but I don't think I would.

The market for these cars is odd, new ones at least. The prices you see advertised are not often paid for anything modern.

Post 2010 there was a massive change in production quality and change in ethos towards "packaging" ownership in a more palatable bundle.

To that end every new Ferrari post 2010 comes with 7 years free servicing and 4 years full warranty which is extendable up to 12 years (I think). So much of the risk of owning an F car has now been removed (i.e. a £30K gearbox problem etc) as long as you continue to keep the car warrantied, which isn't cheap - think £8K to £10K per year for full Factory warranty.

The prices of some of the current models has levelled out to a point that these cars appear to have single digit (percentage) depreciation. There are currently 40 F12's listed for sale on Pistonheads, if you ignore the tdf's most of the Berlinetta's are close to or over list when new of £240K. Quite honestly they shouldn't be - they should all be closer to £150K by now but the same source of cheap money that's inflating the property market is also fuelling the supercar market. These cars have never been so accessible.

With £50K down and an £85K baloon you're in a £155K Ferrari for under £1,000 a month over 36 months. If residuals hold as they are doing and you get out of your car for £135K at the end of the period you get your £50K back and it's effectively cost £1000 a month to be driving a Ferrari, fully services and warrantied.

That's probably what a new E63s costs when you factor in depreciation, running and servicing. So for £1000 a month would you prefer an E63 or a V12 Ferrari? With the one proviso that you're probably not going to be able to put more than 5000 miles a year on an F car if you wish to preserve it's value.

Last edited:
For £1000 a month I'd prefer more hookers and drugs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom