few probs with my newly bought e320

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danzo

Car
1999 e320 w210
hi all,

im new to this forum so im not sure if this is the correct area to post my problems with my 1999 e320 facelift W210 i need some help with????

anyway here goes.......

* firstly my mpg is soooooo bad, im only doing 10 miles a day and most of this is around town so with traffic lights and a bit of traffic admittedly, but im driving like a granny and only getting 10mpg:eek::eek: its costing me basically £1 a mile, is there anyway i can try improve this???

* my interior lights are playing up, when i accelerate or go over a bump or turn a corner thay seem to come on on there own??
iv solved this by keeping them switched off so i have no interior light come on when i open the doors but id like to get theem sorted out, any ideas???

* also i keep hearing when driving what appears to be my doors locking, then 2 mins later they will unlock, then lock again etc etc, the car def has some electrical issues, im not sure how hard it will be to get them all sorted???

* lastly, iv noticed when driving there is something scrapping on my rear off side disc or so it sounds like?? iv tried touching the brakes to see if the sound changes to indicate it being a pad and disc scrapping but the sound doesnt change so im sure its not the pads. what else could be scrapping on the rear disc that i cant see???

sorry for all the questions but i hope some of you may be able to help me out??

dan.

* firstly my mpg is soooooo bad, im only doing 10 miles a day and most of this is around town so with traffic lights and a bit of traffic admittedly, but im driving like a granny and only getting 10mpg:eek::eek: its costing me basically £1 a mile, is there anyway i can try improve this???

On a full tank have you tried driving on a motorway for 1 hr doing a steady 60 mph?

My 1998 CLK320 would do broadly 30mpg, so over that distance would burn ~9 litres of petrol. Try it out. If yours is the same then all is well and it's just the city driving causing your poor mpg.

This is a petrol 320? Oh dear. I get 30 or more round town in a CDI.

The interior lights and door locks are most likley connected , iys probably one of the door entry switches , where the door is not closing on the switch .

Are you sure the door locks aren´t a security measure?

Mine lock when I drive (to prevent carjacking) but you can turn that feature off in the computer.

Are the brakes hanging on causing the noise and the MPG ?

Are the brakes hanging on causing the noise and the MPG ?

My thoughts as well, if the scraping noise is your brake pads binding or partially binding then the car will constantly have to work hard to move so resulting in dreadful MPG.

On my W203 the doors lock when traveling over 5 Miles/hour as a security feature, but it sound electrical if yours constantly lock and unlock.

Pretty sure on w210 to enable or disable the auto door lock function you press and hold the dash door lock button for 5 secs or so.

10mpg is approx 50p per mile, almost a bargain!

Lynall

10 MPG, and I thought mine was bad... I get about 14 MPG from my CLK55 same driving as you eg 2 miles in traffic to work/back

If it is a petrol E320, my S320 also does about 10mpg in town on the way to work. On a motorway though it nudges 34mpg with an overall mpg of about 21 or so.

thanks for all your replies guys!!:thumb::thumb:

i think the mpg im going to have to get used to, tho i took her on a good 15mile run the other night all on duel carriageway and got the mpg up to 26mpg so i think the car is getting back what it should!

the door locks i have now noticed seem to lock or unlock just at lower speed so im guessing this is the safety feature where they are locking and un locking around 10-15mph so im ok with that now!

the interior light is a pain, unsure what to do with that now:(

also, is anyone elses alarms interior motion sensor very very sensitive???
my alarm goes off constantly unless i turn the interior motion sensor off every time i get out!
this seems to stop the alarm going off so it must be the motion sensor picking up on the slightest of movement around the car!

and about my scrapping noise from the back.... im still unsure what this is, it may well be the brakes staying on a tad, im only hearing the noise at low speeds tho and near things that reflect the noise back like parked cars or walls etc....
i was thinking it may be the disc guard at the back may be touching slightly as it is that type of tinny metal scrapping noise.
thats one for when the weather gets better so i can get under there and have a good look around!

Pretty sure on w210 to enable or disable the auto door lock function you press and hold the dash door lock button for 5 secs or so.

10mpg is approx 50p per mile, almost a bargain!

Lynall

Even my 600 only costs 33p per mile in fuel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom