Few questions about COMMAND NTG1 in my W211

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

specialk

Car
W211 E320CDI
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=48002&stc=1&d=1420493427

Hi all,

New member here :)

A few months ago I purchased a 2004 W211 estate with a NTG1 COMMAND system and I have a few questions about it which I'm hoping someone may be able to help with.

The previous owner installed a very basic Parrot unit to provide Bluetooth phone integration. Unfortunately, they appear to have wired something up incorrectly and it's causing battery drain. To resolve the battery issue I disconnected the Parrot unit and the battery no longer drains. Unfortunately, it causes a rather loud series of 3 beeps to be played through the speakers after engine start. This never happened prior to disconnecting the Parrot. I suspect the COMMAND unit does not like the dangling unconnected cable. Before I take the dashboard apart to remove the cable entirely, does anyone know whether this is in fact related or just a coincidence? Any other way of silencing it other than reconnecting the Parrot?

I've been investigating alternatives to the Parrot unit as i want Bluetooth phone integration but I don't really like the unit sitting on the dashboard. From what I can tell there are a number of options depending on the audio system (NTG1 in my case as mentioned earlier) and on the phone integration currently fitted. The central armrest has a curly cable in it which judging by the logo and shape is actually a mini-USB:
attachment.php

From what I've read, it should be either the Nokia curly cable/cradle or UHI so is mine some other addition the previous owner made? Which of the various units available (e.g. Viseeo, Fiscon Pro, etc.) would fit my system and provide me with Bluetooth phone integration?

Finally, I've read that with the likes of the Fiscon, you can only get Bluetooth music streaming if the car does not have a factory fitted CD changer, which mine does. Is that right? And if it is, are there any options that would give me phone Bluetooth integration and music streaming (ideally without loosing the CD changer)?

I've read in a few places that an upgrade to NTG2.5 is possible and would provide everything I need but judging from what I've read it's likely to be expensive. Command Online seem to have a refurbished unit listed on their website but it's nearly £2k before fitting so it's all a bit more expensive than I'd like.

Thanks in advance,
Karol

Attachments

• Merc phone.jpg
    Merc phone.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 147
I have the Fiscon Pro in my W211/NTG1 and it works really well including full integration with steering wheel. Never had music streaming (I have a CD changer), but I assumed that was more to do with my phone support so would be interested to hear comments. Having said that, being able to burn a DVD with MP3 and play in the main slot more than meets my audio needs. That is a lot of albums!

P.S. If you fit a Fiscon you will need someone with STAR to code it. I am lucky in that my local mechanic is MB trained :thumb:

I have a viseeo bluetooth adapter in my centre armrest, works a treat for hands free, no idea about music streaming I am afraid. The beeps you can hear, I believe are completely related to the parrot!

Maybe take a look at the Viseeo MB-4? I think that's the right model number.

Welcome to the forum!

The unit you saw on our website is a genuine Mercedes refurbished unit (like new). Rather than an 'eastern European' refurbished unit if you get my drift.

If you are looking for a second user NTG 2.5 then they are significantly cheaper.

The lead in your centre armrest is not standard. Its definately not a Mercedes part.

If you have NTG1 comand then you will have a significant Parrot installation as the leads will run to the rear of the car (AGW). Removing it all will be quite a job. If you have the standard Audio-20 it will be a lot easier.

You wont get integrated music streaming without losing the CD changer im afraid. The fiscon and the mCar rely upon the CD changer being removed to provide the streaming function. That said, both the Fiscon and the mCar will give you integrated bluetooth with the steering wheel controls and instrument cluster as per factory look and feel.

The ease of fitting NTG 2.5 will also be dictated by exactly what the car has in it already. If you email me the VIN number I can advise you accurately. [email protected]

Thanks Alfie, I'll send you an email shortly. Any ideas about silencing the beeps without removing the entire Parrot installation as a short term fix?

Your car has Comand NTG1, CD changer and linguatronic. You also have what was the fixed phone system in the car. Looks like someone has messed with that from the image of your upper armrest compartment.

So you have the bigger parrot install. Silencing the beeps means finding the parrot control box and removing it and then uninstalling the wiring at the audio gateway.

Comand NTG 2.5 can be retrofitted in the car for an all-in price of £1400. This includes all parts, labour, coding and VAT. Price correct as of 6th Jan 2015. Price includes removing the parrot stuff or you ;)

For comparison, what would be the all-in price (including Parrot removal :) ) for the Fiscon unit?

For comparison, what would be the all-in price (including Parrot removal :) ) for the Fiscon unit?

£499 but at that price you could have the far superior mCar unit ;)

£499 but at that price you could have the far superior mCar unit ;)

Hi Alfie, is that a fitted price? I was thinking of going with the Fiscon Pro, but the Mcar unit sounds better. I have the same set up as specialk, but no Parrot stuff to remove! ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom