Fiat Abarth 500 buying

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Conquistador

MB Enthusiast
Car
2012 S350L BlueTec
Anybody had experience of buying one of these? Tips on what to look for and common problems. I already have lots of experience of the 'normal' 500 but was wondering if there was any issues with the Abarth variant.

Thinking about getting one in the summer for a bit of fun - preferably a convertible. Manual or auto, no preference and no preferred colour.

Will be looking for one with low miles and good service history.

The outer bolster on the seat base and back are very prone to wear (not the best leather....).

The only other thing that our's has suffered is the dreaded severed wiring loom in the tailgate, but that affects all 500s, so you'll already be looking for that, I imagine.

Blimey... there's one for sale on the Abarth forum with a claimed 189bhp.

That must be a whole lot of fun in something so small.

Blimey... there's one for sale on the Abarth forum with a claimed 189bhp.

That must be a whole lot of fun in something so small.

Wow! I used to own a few early 70's 500s, some of which were converted to the later 600cc 126 engines and boxes. The main benefits were having a fully synchro box, but the power increase was noticable, going from 22 to a staggering 32bhp!!

Sorry for the hijack, and good luck with your search.

Don't touch one with a remap. Apparently the turbo is the limiting factor and most remaps will run too much boost.

I would definitely run a mile from one claiming 189bhp. Either the car is about to explode, or the owner is full of it and will likely misrepresent the rest of the vehicle when selling.

More details here : Abarth 500 being remapped - 175BHP 250 NM torque

Wow! I used to own a few early 70's 500s, some of which were converted to the later 600cc 126 engines and boxes. The main benefits were having a fully synchro box, but the power increase was noticable, going from 22 to a staggering 32bhp!!

I had a 1974 126 with said 2-cyl 600cc powerhouse ... pretty sure it was only 22 bhp though??

189 bhp would certainly be fun ;)

I have a fiend that owns a Fiat dealership, I can put you in touch if you like, I'm sure he will look after you. Probably best to PM me.

Hope this doesn't break any advertising rules - I am not associated with them in any way, he is just a mate!!!

There will be two sorts of Fiat Abarth Owners. One who buys for the "strike a pose" factor [ nothing wrong with that-just saying] and two --someone who will thrash the nuts off it. You probably want one that had the first type of owner . This might deduced from looking at the seller rather than the car??

My neighbour ran one for a year - in white. He has a Punto Super Sport or similar now but seemed to like the 500 - just he wanted something bigger I think hence the change. Don't think he had any issues with it.

Michael Schumacher used to run one with 250 bhp :eek:

I don't suppose he would have given a monkey's if it broke though unlike we who have to pay for breakages!

I have a fiend that owns a Fiat dealership

The Hooded Claw owns a Fiat dealership?

grober said:
There will be two sorts of Fiat Abarth Owners. One who buys for the "strike a pose" factor [ nothing wrong with that-just saying] and two --someone who will thrash the nuts off it. You probably want one that had the first type of owner . This might deduced from looking at the seller rather than the car??

This would be my worry. A 2 owner car with first owner nailing it? A "young umm lady owner" as owner 2.

Difficult one. Unless a dealer can really check it over as a friend of a friend. Might help with resale too?!?!?!

In local Fiat/abarth dealer in York last Friday getting our 500 serviced .they had a couple of really nice Abarth 500 in stock and we were sorely tempted to change but decided to leave until next March. Sales guy said 200bhp model going to be released soon . Now watch out you AMG owners !!!

Just ordered my 595 Abarth.

£19k list OTR ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom