Fiat to Buy Chrysler Out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
Fiat shares have jumped with the announcement they are buy the remaining 41% shares they don't own in the Chrysler Corporation. How this will effect remaining UK Chrysler /Fiat dealerships over time remains to be seen.
BBC News - Fiat shares surge after deal to buy remaining Chrysler stake

In the meantime the inexorable rise of the Korean car makers has taken a dip with the revaluation of their currency wrt the US dollar while Japan's devalued currency means their cars are cheaper. 20% devaluation of the Yen v the US dollar. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25572898

Last edited:
Because many Korean and Japanese cars are actually manufactured in the country in which they are marketed e.g. USA, UK and the EEC, I don't quite see how a devaluation of a currency should effect prices except for cars manufactured in their home countries. While Korean cars do seem to be creeping up in price I can't say I've noticed any drop in the prices of any Japanese imports.;)

I thought FIAT were only interested in Chrysler as a badge they've been using to sneakily sell Lancias again in the UK market.

FIAT want an outlet into the USA, which is still the largest car market Worldwide. Americans like to buy home grown products, so FIAT will badge their whole range as Chrysler for that market and gain immediate acceptance.

I think Fiat wanted Chrysler for their dealer network in the states. Expect perhaps a new line of Lancia badged /Chrysler made models for the American "prestige import " market. I can see it all going horribly wrong.

What ever the outcome of this completed take over, I still wouldn't glance twice at a Fiat, Lanica or Chrysler and that's coming from a fan and previous owner of both a Lanica & a few Alfas. I don't see any benefits for the consumer other than these car companies, that are on the floor, becoming one to hold off the evil day of going bust by using economies of scale and badge 'engineering'. It seems a shame Fiat don't get their own house in order first. But hey, what do I know other than my hard earned & presence will never grace a Fiat/Alfa/Lanica/Chrysler forecourt.

Have I missed a decade out of my life somewhere?

How has FIAT snapped up other motor companies when all I ever used to hear was how much of a mess they were in financially?

At the last count Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram and SRT!

Have I missed a decade out of my life somewhere?

How has FIAT snapped up other motor companies when all I ever used to hear was how much of a mess they were in financially?

At the last count Fiat owns: Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Dodge, Ferrari, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Ram and SRT!

Success of the Fiat Panda/500 platform has no doubt helped.

Wonder what will happen to the $12bn of US taxpayers money

....How has FIAT snapped up other motor companies when all I ever used to hear was how much of a mess they were in financially?...

Chrysler is an attractive bride that comes with a nice dewery courtesy of the US taxpayers.

Similarly, BMW did not dump Rover for as long as Tony Blair's grants/loans kept coming...

Taxpayers' money is a powerful aphrodisiac.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom