Fibre Broadband...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanA2

MB Enthusiast
Car
SL60 AMG, GES300, Lexus GS 430
Is something I know nothing about.

If, say a building is cabled, can any ISP use it, or does it belong to particular provider?

As I say, I know nothing about this and can't find anything on line. Currently I'm on a steam system:D

Last edited:
I would have thought it would be part of the services installed in the initial build, as such not specific to an individual provider. Similar to gas, electrics etc... How is you existing service provided?

Thanks. As I said I'm on steam power, about 6.5 mbps on a good day.. My question relates to another building which is wired for fibre. I just want to know what my options might be.

Best bet is to contact your ISP of choice and see if they will provide service to that specific location and approx speeds etc... I think under the local loop unbundling Process it will be open to all providers.

May be specific restriction within the building, so for instance one individual couldn't have multiple fibre feeds to a specific residence...

Thanks. As I said I'm on steam power, about 6.5 mbps on a good day.. My question relates to another building which is wired for fibre. I just want to know what my options might be.

If FTTP (not FTTC), then the fibre cabling is unique to the carrier e.g. BT Openreach, Virgin Media, Colt Communications etc, i.e. they do not share fibre.

Most FTTP fibre services are presented as Managed Services and the carrier is responsible for the connection inside the building up to and including the NTU or Router.

If a provider already installed fibre in the building, then additional fibre services from same provider, or from a different provider using the same carrier, should not incur installation fee.

Last edited:
Other providers can have equipment in a BT exchange and use BT's fibre, Virgin have their own fibre network that only they can use. All depends on your area.

Russ

Thanks folks, in fact afaiaa it's Virgin's cable. So seems like it's them or phone line bb.

Thanks.

Still better than the old 56Kbps days!!! :)

...or the Hays 2400 modem, only connecting succefully at 300 baud :(

Those were the days... :D

Update: The new flat is deffo wired for Virgin. So what I'd like to know is:

a) Is their TV any good? (don't really use TV that much)
b) Does their cable have to go to the TV box? (I'm guessing it's not WiFi and they supply a box to be wired)
c) How steady/reliable is their BB?

I ask as their speeds and prices seem reasonable, but I'm also able to get BT BB (though I would have to get a telephone line that I don't really need) and the Virgin BB can be had without phone or TV. So it seems that they may be the cheapest.

Costs are important as we're downsizing and may in fact only be in the new place six(ish) months a year.

The cable can go straight to your wireless modem which they supply. If you opt for their TV package you will get their 500 Gig hard drive Tivo set top box [ they split the co-ax feed] They offer various TV packages including Sky channels at extra cost. In most locations the service/speed is rock solid [ at least for the basic speeds] Because Virgin Media consists of several cable companies they took over, your local infra-structure/service may to a certain extent be governed by local conditions. I would suggest asking other flat residents in the block for their experiences.

Thanks, if I've understood you correctly (bear with me I know nada about cable BB/TV), the cable goes to the wireless modem, but is split (before the modem presumably) somewhere and goes on to hard wire the Tivo box. Is that about right. Seems to be a lot of cable about the place if so.

Update: The new flat is deffo wired for Virgin. So what I'd like to know is:

a) Is their TV any good? (don't really use TV that much)
b) Does their cable have to go to the TV box? (I'm guessing it's not WiFi and they supply a box to be wired)
c) How steady/reliable is their BB?

I ask as their speeds and prices seem reasonable, but I'm also able to get BT BB (though I would have to get a telephone line that I don't really need) and the Virgin BB can be had without phone or TV. So it seems that they may be the cheapest.

Costs are important as we're downsizing and may in fact only be in the new place six(ish) months a year.

If you are going to be there under the minimum contract term, Virgin WILL charge a penalty - they really do play hardball on this. Only glimmer of hope is if the place you go to has Virgin available and they may then let you transfer the contract.

Slightly better story with other providers that have to use BT Open Reach infrastructure (BT are not the same as BT Open Reach) as of course they are very likely to have services at your new place, so you could transfer

HTH

Depends very much on the quality of your installer/ installation. IRRC in the early days when the service started as essentially cable TV --- the cable would run to the set top box and then later it would loop thro to the modem. Now of course the emphasis is more on Broadband/ TV on demand and things have changed slightly. If the install is old its possible they may wish to redo it. Now best practice would dictate they terminate the outside cable in a convenient location near the front door and then lead 2 co-ax cables one to the TV one to the wireless modem. They tend to also include small anti spike supressors inline now on both lines to protect equipment down stream.
So there are various scenarios possibly dependent on how old your existing set up is? most install engineers will do their best within reason to run the cables /site the equipment where you want [ but it pays to have your own ideas of what you want provided its technically feasible prior to his visit]

If you are going to be there under the minimum contract term, Virgin WILL charge a penalty - they really do play hardball on this. Only glimmer of hope is if the place you go to has Virgin available and they may then let you transfer the contract.

Slightly better story with other providers that have to use BT Open Reach infrastructure (BT are not the same as BT Open Reach) as of course they are very likely to have services at your new place, so you could transfer

HTH

I'm guessing you mean in terms of p/t occupation, that's really why I want it as cheap as possible as I can't see anyone doing half yearly deals. Just have to get as cheap as poss and suck it up.

Depends very much on the quality of your installer/ installation. IRRC in the early days when the service started as essentially cable TV --- the cable would run to the set top box and then later it would loop thro to the modem. Now of course the emphasis is more on Broadband/ TV on demand and things have changed slightly. If the install is old its possible they may wish to redo it. Now best practice would dictate they terminate the outside cable in a convenient location near the front door and then lead 2 co-ax cables one to the TV one to the wireless modem. They tend to also include small anti spike supressors inline now on both lines to protect equipment down stream.
So there are various scenarios possibly dependent on how old your existing set up is? most install engineers will do their best within reason to run the cables /site the equipment where you want [ but it pays to have your own ideas of what you want provided its technically feasible prior to his visit]

Currently the cable in the flat I'm buying has never been used. The whole block was wired a couple of years ago. The cable is inside, hanging coiled, and awaiting use. I've got a while to sort out the best option as the place is a shell at the mo, doubt we'll be in much before Christmas. Can't help think BB with no line or TV is an attractive option.

Currently the cable in the flat I'm buying has never been used. The whole block was wired a couple of years ago. The cable is inside, hanging coiled, and awaiting use. I've got a while to sort out the best option as the place is a shell at the mo, doubt we'll be in much before Christmas. Can't help think BB with no line or TV is an attractive option.

Is it actually a fibre feed cable into the flat or just copper cable pre wired? As above, the question is, is the building cabled for FTTP (fibre to the premises) or just pre wired with copper/coax? If the building is not cabled for fibre, FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) may be available to you, giving speeds of up to 80Meg

Your cheapest option would be to go for the basic broadband package which will include a wireless modem. Then with the right wireless TV adapter [sub £100] you should be able to stream anything on your computer to the TV and use internet catch up services like BBC Iplayer to watch stuff you have missed [ care must be taken in the choice of TV and adapter]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom