Fifth Gear, radar/camera detector feature

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,490
Location
Essex
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
Did anyone else watch 5th gear this evening? They had a review of the different Radar and GPS camera detectors (oh and a lovely Ferrari 360 road test).

Basically the radar detectors were criticised for too many false alarms, so the GPS detectors were recommended. Their favourites were (in no order) the Original b2, Road Angel and Morpheous Micro Pilot (at £745!).

Oh, and there's a Channel 5 Fifth Gear competition to win a Volvo T-5 equipped with radar detectors etc. Costs a quid to enter tho!
 

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Joined
Nov 29, 2002
Messages
16,415
Location
Nuneaton Warwickshire
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
yeh i watched it....

Still, they like the roadangel, which is what ill get whenever i can justify it to myself..

Not sure about the comp, anyone could answer that...
 

Flyer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 16, 2002
Messages
1,638
Location
Houston, Texas
Car
Ford Mustang GT
I saw it Richard; very good it was and VBH is *damn* fine ;) ... and the 360 Stradale looked fantastic (oh to see it driven in anger like a certain club member :p ).

I do like the b2, but that Micro Pilot looked the daddy - but perhaps a trifle expensive at £745 :eek: .

I do like the look of the new Golf; but to wait 12 months before they release the GTi - big mistake, surely?
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Originally posted by jaymanek
yeh i watched it....

Still, they like the roadangel, which is what ill get whenever i can justify it to myself..

Not sure about the comp, anyone could answer that...

My next purchace will be a B2 with the radar head when its avalible. :) maybe even an LRC100 , depends on how i feel :)
 

mw_C32

Active Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2003
Messages
920
Location
Northants
I just got a RoadPilot. Very happy with it too.:)
Missed the show though. I'll try an watch nxt week.
 

Aswall

Active Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
537
Location
South Yorkshire
Car
CLS 350
Micro Road Pilot is £470, if you've seen it at £745 it must have been bundled with one of the useless radar attachments - or someone is making a rather larger profit than Geodesy intended :rolleyes:

Cheers
Andy
 

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
3,241
Location
Wales, U.K.
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
I saw this too, seems like there isn't much to choose between the GPS units. They didn't seem impressed with the radar/laser detectors going off all the time in town. Anyone else surprised they actually concentrated on the usefulness and legality of laser jammers :eek:

Originally posted by Flyer
I saw it Richard; very good it was and VBH is *damn* fine ;) ... and the 360 Stradale looked fantastic (oh to see it driven in anger like a certain club member :p )
;) When I saw the black one at Goodwood they were also testing out the launch control. Heh I'd rather see VBH though :p *Ahem* but enough of that. :D

S.
 
OP
OP
R

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,490
Location
Essex
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
Originally posted by Aswall
Micro Road Pilot is £470, if you've seen it at £745 it must have been bundled with one of the useless radar attachments - or someone is making a rather larger profit than Geodesy intended :rolleyes:

Cheers
Andy

That was the price TopGear said. With the Roadangel they said it came with the laser attachment, they didn't say anything came with the Micro Roadpilot for £745.
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
The radar detectors arent useless. Its something to be used in combination with the GPS.

Its all very well having a GPS detector till Mr Plod is at the roadside with a radar or laser gun. They showed how effective my detector was ( bel euro 550) when it managed to pickup laser Scatter two cars in front.

Yes you do get the odd false alarm , but , you learn over time to know when its real.
 
OP
OP
R

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,490
Location
Essex
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
I gave up on the Snooper 815 I had as I was totally fed up with the false alarms. My RoadAngel does pick up laser (and doesn't give false alarms) but might look into a jammer. The b2 offers one as an option.
 

Steve_Perry

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 3, 2002
Messages
3,241
Location
Wales, U.K.
Car
CLS350CDI Grand Edition
Originally posted by RichardM
... but might look into a jammer. The b2 offers one as an option.
Judging by last nights Fifth Gear story you might want to invest in some automatic garage doors too :D

S.
 

Aswall

Active Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2003
Messages
537
Location
South Yorkshire
Car
CLS 350
Originally posted by RichardM
That was the price TopGear said. With the Roadangel they said it came with the laser attachment, they didn't say anything came with the Micro Roadpilot for £745.

Think someone there must have got their numbers mixed up, certainly wouldn't make much sense selling the cut down version several hundred pounds more than the full version

In fact, direct from Geodesy it is £389 inc vat


http://www.geodesy-direct.co.uk/morpheus-micro-road-pilot.htm

Cheers
Andy
 

white190

New Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2002
Messages
21
Location
Ipswich UK
Car
190E 2.0 1993 Auto
now if only some manufacturer would comine Speed trap GPS with GPS road Navi....I'd buy that.

Actually is there a unit available to do that ???


mmmmmmmmmmm Vicky.......we all loooove VBH.
tasty bird that can drive the **** off of any car...its all good......too good ......ahhhh....oh dear.
 

GrahamC230K

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 14, 2002
Messages
9,755
Car
Audi A3 & S4 quattro
Originally posted by white190
now if only some manufacturer would comine Speed trap GPS with GPS road Navi....I'd buy that.

Actually is there a unit available to do that ???


mmmmmmmmmmm Vicky.......we all loooove VBH.
tasty bird that can drive the **** off of any car...its all good......too good ......ahhhh....oh dear.


No, no device exists that I know of.

And yes, VBH is a tasty female very much near the top of my wish list!
 

fuzzer

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 1, 2002
Messages
7,939
Location
Glasgow
Car
F25 X3 20d SE
Originally posted by GrahamC230K
No, no device exists that I know of.

And yes, VBH is a tasty female very much near the top of my wish list!

mmmm
2280047.jpg
 
OP
OP
R

RichardM

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jan 29, 2003
Messages
2,490
Location
Essex
Car
2011 CLS350 CDI
Originally posted by white190
now if only some manufacturer would comine Speed trap GPS with GPS road Navi....I'd buy that.

Actually is there a unit available to do that ???

If you use an iPAQ Navigation system with the TomTom Navigator software then there is an add which claims to do just this. I've no idea how well it works, I bought the NavMan software which doesn't offer this :(

http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php
 

mayoga

Active Member
Joined
Oct 14, 2003
Messages
111
Car
CLK 320 & Elise LB RT
>> If you use an iPAQ Navigation system with the TomTom Navigator software then there is an add which claims to do

You need the following GPS speedtrap software from:

http://www.trafcam.com/

Gav.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom