Fifth Gear tonight-Merc on veg oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
Tonights fifth gear features a merc [didn't say what model] running on veg oil, as I know some of you do , it should be of interest

Tonights fifth gear features a merc [didn't say what model] running on veg oil, as I know some of you do , it should be of interest

hmmm, should be interesting, but i suspect very bad reporting. usually these things indicate that any diesel can be run on veg oil, they never filter it well enough and they have images of people pouring it into brand new astras etc with no mention of mods....

You can put straight veg oil into many older deisels if you run 25% deisel, including Merc W115 and W123's, if its new it dont need filtering, no point these days though as its as expensive to buy new as deisel is now, the supermarkets caught on last year and put the price up, they were even restricting the amount you could buy to ten litres at a time in the major ones.

20lts is £17.99 at the Cash and Carry. (90p a Litre)

Hasn't one of the scruffy presenters been running an equally scruffy W123 on veg oil for a couple of years now?

Hasn't one of the scruffy presenters been running an equally scruffy W123 on veg oil for a couple of years now?

Yup, a 190, I think.

didn't top gear do this years ago?

so did 5th Gear.

They both reported very badly last time. 5th Gear showed you going into a chippy and then filling up outside the shop (when/how was the filtering done!?) and Top Gear showed adding illegal solvants into the mix - none of which are legal as fuel on uk roads!

It may be a daft question, but if you can run a car on veg oil, can you also run it olive oil?

It may be a daft question, but if you can run a car on veg oil, can you also run it olive oil?

Yes, and if you run a high miler you can offer up your salad to the exhaust for a light sprinkling ;)

Edit: Only when using extra virgin

lol, yes technically you can, but have you seen the price of the stuff!!!

lol, yes technically you can, but have you seen the price of the stuff!!!

the spot price for 04 (zero four) as olive oil is traded is about £2.20/litre - I would stick with deisel. Of course you might find some North african producer who will ship you a bulk container load of rapeseed oil for well under £1.

Red W124 300D with 603 engine.

He's been running it for a few years now so it should be just about time for it to go into nuclear meltdown and explode the entire universe....or something like that...

Armageddon, here we come..

They advertised the 30 year paintwork warranty on the scruffy SLK,:eek: would like to see somebody try and claim on that one with 100k on the clock:crazy: and on a P plate!!

On Now !!!

I have to record it or watch it on a smaller screen in the bedroom, her who must be obeyed is watching Big Brother [live eviction apparently, very exciting :rolleyes: ]

Assuming its been serviced I didn't think millage and yr of car matters?

Agree it was a bit tired, but then they are cheap now and 10 + years old?

1996/7 Mercs weren't covered by the 30 year anti perforation warrantee, that came in on October 1998.
Technically cars before then had a one year guarentee covering mechanicals and body.
The goodwill scheme covers bodywork upto eight years old and safety critical items upt ten.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom