Fifth Gear - TONIGHT

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam Lister, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Sam Lister

Sam Lister Member

Car:
    1994 E220 Auto / 2005 C220 CDI Elegance / Looking for W203 coupe
    Just tuned into fifth gear (channel 5), there featuring a W220 S-Class against a new W211, I think a S600 (priced at £106k anyway) and asking a A-Team to test comfort.

Sound be good if anyones interested

Not been on yet so you havent missed anything:D :D

Cheers,

2. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    Although i'm always interested in seeing Mercs reviewed etc on TV, but i am Not convinced by this. To begin with I'm sure the Face Man has been in his fair share of S classes before, but he acted like he had never been in a luxury car!!!

getting him to detect what one was the newer car was a bit stupid - its pretty obvious really!!!

why did they recommend that particular engine? surly its underpowered and the 320cdi unit would be the better - maybe they couldnt get one and as this was the prize for this week, they "bigged it up"

typical reporting re the rust warranty.

although i reckon that Johnny guy likes his mercedes!! He has a W123 estate, wanted that older S class and then did this S class comparison....

3. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    It was a stupid waste of time. The point, surely, was that the older S-class was still much like a new car. Fine. Keep the passenger blindfolded throughout. Mind you, at London traffic speeds, most cars would feel smooth and relatively quiet. On the motorway or an A road, the difference may have been more stark.

What did it prove? The new S-class is £100k overpriced? The old S-class is £100k undervalued? Neither? Nothing at all? That we are all daft enough to sit slack-jawed, lapping this bilge up?

I was all for this latest series of 5th Gear, because I thought they'd got the formula right. But they couldn't sustain it, and they ended up banal and tedious again.

Who cares that Plato can, with ten years' experience, drive a kart better that Tiff (who has been known to crash a D-type Jaguar in the Parc Ferme). Why would anybody suppose that being able to fly a helicopter upside-down would equip you to J-turn a Porsche? Oh, and we recommend that you service your own car, except we don't because you'll affect the resale.

Still; as long as they don't bring back that harpie, then I'll be happy...

4. fyonn

fyonn Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    BMW 330d
    oh, has VBH finally gone? I never liked her as a presenter. I'm sure she's lovely in person, but on screen she always grated with me. still, I've not watched fifth gear in a while.

I tend to keep to top gear, which has many flaws (like increasingly not reviewing cars) but it does at least keep my interest...

actually, I might think about going back and watching some of the old ones sometime

5. franey

franey Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W124 300d , W124 300d 24v, Isuzu Tipper
    What time does it start? :eek:

6. kusanku

kusanku Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    A180cdi Avant Garde
    I didn't see it, and sounds like I didn't miss much.

However, speaking of VBH, if you see re-runs of the earlier Top Gears, where she made her debut, there is a striking difference in her accent. In the early days, it was distinctly regional, whereas now she has a received pronunciation. I wonder which one of these she puts on?:D

7. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    There is a long, rather amusing thread on pistonheads regarding "up the duff" VBH.
    Many of the comments wouldnt get past our forum masters, but it still made me smile a few times. Worth a quick read if you have the time and inclination..............

8. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    This last episode was poor in comparison to previous episodes. My bet is they ran out of budget and cobbled something together for the last program. You could tell the normal budget and shoestring items. Bad scheduling ----- they should have finished with a strong program to encourage people to watch the next series?

9. Aletank

Aletank Hardcore MB Enthusiast

It's repeated tonight (Tuesday) at 8pm on a channel called Fiver

10. Peter DLM

Peter DLM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    19 reg CLS 350d, 67 reg AMG GT R Caterham Levante
    I laughed when he sat in the new car and immediately looked left....where the old car was parked.

At least park the blummin' cars away from each other !!

Then there's the fact that the interior of the old car would have the same effect as us comparing the original USS Enterprise with the latest one. Let's be honest, the new car's interior ages the old one by several decades at least.

11. crockers

crockers MB Club Veteran

Car:
    XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...

So I take it you liked the programme?? :D :D :D

12. un1l

un1l Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    CLK 230K
    I saw it today on this:

http://demand.five.tv/Episode.aspx?episodeBaseName=C5140510008

Gettin Dirk Benedict to test it as a passenger maybe wasn't a good idea.
    But i feel that Jonny shouldn't have told him that they were the same car; and HE DIDN'T EVEN BLINFOLD Him.

Also the fact that the older car was an S280, makes it a little bit unfair.

13. OP
    OP
    Sam Lister

Sam Lister Member

Car:
    1994 E220 Auto / 2005 C220 CDI Elegance / Looking for W203 coupe
    Did the S600 have parktronic? I thought it was standard but I didnt notice it.

S280 was a bit unfair, S600 v S600 would of been better (although for £6k)

Watchable but nothing special

14. Paul S320CDi

Paul S320CDi Active Member

Car:
    S320 CDi LWB
    I hate that program. It's like watching a bunch of kids with a camcorder try to make their version of Top Gear.

Glad VBH has gone. When she looked at the camera in her "minxy" way it made me feel sick.

15. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    It got worse when she turned round and gave a rear shot.....

16. imadoofus

imadoofus Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    This and that.
    Meh...

;)

17. SilverSaloon

SilverSaloon MB Club Veteran

Car:
    1994 W124 E300D Estate, 1985 R107 280SL
    VBH hasnt gone. she was on the show driving something to deliver water bottles to cyclists.....

i wish she was gone though!!

18. C43AMG

C43AMG MB Club Veteran

Car:
    500L ( W221 ), 2014 AMG CL 5.5 Biturbo ( W216 ) 2014 Brabus Smart ( 451 Coupe ) Mapped 130bhp
    If you did not see the parktronic on the bumper then it had Distronic Plus, which is Radar activated.

Tags: