Fighting a battle against the bass box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lotusmark2

MB Enthusiast
Car
Fiat 500, Mercedes B200
I have had an Alpine CDM-9803 Head unit fitted and Cerwin Vega HSD1693's in the rear shelf and the result is a very nice clean crisp sound but no low down balls at all.
Having had many hatchbacks in the past I have never been lacking in bass before so I am a bit at a loss as to where to go next.
I know I could "box up" in the rear and port it through the back of the arm rest but I really dont want to loose boot space and start faffing in the boot.

Suggestions please???

My brother had the same problem with his CLK, the trouble is, the soundproofing etc is too good.

In the end, the guy in the audio shop recommended removing the Ski hole in the rear seats, which my brother didnt want to do as it will butcher the car, or remove the speakers off the rear parcel shelf and just leave the speaker covers.

It works 95%

I will give that a go in my lunch as I think it is only 2 screws to remove it in my car.
If it works I will replace the solid ski cover with some acoustic cloth to keep it looking nice with the armrest down.
Thanks for that.....
Any other suggestions in case that does not work??

Do you really neeeed a first aid kit? ;) or at least one on the rear parcel shelf :devil:

Actually I thought the rear parcel shelf already had mounts for a sub? Am I correct in thinking that a post facelift W202 has nine speakers in stock factory trim? - 2x tweeters in dash (one either side), 2x speakers for front doors (one either side), 2x speakers for rear doors (one either side), 2 speakers + 1 sub for rear parcel shelf. :confused: I realise that the stock paper cone speakers leave little to be desired.

S.

Steve_Perry said:
Do you really neeeed a first aid kit? ;) or at least one on the rear parcel shelf :devil:
S.

Ok
Just went and had a look.
There is no panel to remove for the Ski hatch it is solid metal across the back of the seats.
The first aid kit will come out but the flip down lid is an integral part of the shelf so I dont want to go cutting that off, am I missing something Steve??
HELP!!!!

Shude said:
ahh the wonders of the search button!

Ski Hole mods
Had a look around but did not see that one.
OMG!!
Thats is a bit errrr extreme for what I was thinking of doing, that little lot must have cost you a fortune!
have you got a picture of the inside of the boot once the cones were fitted to show how much boot you would loose???

Having just played around for 20 mins I have removed the first aid kit (dont know if that made any difference) and thrown the balance 70/30 to the rear and I get an ok result but the sound stage is now placed firmly in the rear seat. Perhapse the front door speaker upgrade to pull the sound forwards??

lotusmark2 said:
Thats is a bit errrr extreme for what I was thinking of doing, that little lot must have cost you a fortune!
have you got a picture of the inside of the boot once the cones were fitted to show how much boot you would loose???
That is all Koolvin's car, my car has factory Bose installed, which I am happy with :) .

Shude said:
That is all Koolvin's car, my car has factory Bose installed, which I am happy with :) .
Hmmmm would that show that it is possible to get a good result by changing the cones?

lotusmark2 said:
...I get an ok result but the sound stage is now placed firmly in the rear seat. Perhapse the front door speaker upgrade to pull the sound forwards??
Upgrading the door speakers will make a big big difference. K. upgraded his stock speakers to a Pioneer set specifically for the W202 and he was well pleased with the results. Trouble is, I think that Pioneer have discontinued this product. :( A forum search on 'Pioneer' should throw up K.'s original postings.

I'm sure there's been a post from a member who fitted a serious sub in the position where the first aid kit normally lurks, maybe it was on another Benz forum.

S.

leave the speakers out the rear shelf and put them in the doors for rear fill, work pretty well consodering they are so low down, then your sub will be ported through your speaker holes! give it a go, works ok for me.

might find the bose setup might cost a bit from stealers, best try a scrappy or even update to aftermarket stuff, new stuffs amazing nowadays

Last edited:
lotusmark2 said:
Hmmmm would that show that it is possible to get a good result by changing the cones?
There are 8 speakers in the oem Bose installation, standard tweeters in the dash, some beefy speakers in the front doors, similar in the rear doors and a pair of subs in the rear shelf, these are powered by a Bose amp.

standard w202 tweeter:
w202tweeter.jpg

front door speaker:
bose01.jpg

rear door speaker:
doorpanel35.jpg

rear shelf speaker:
w202comand24.jpg

I'm happy with the setup, but it's not exactly amazing :)

Thanks for the pics
Do you know if the bose door speakers are available from the stealers?
If so do you know the part numbers (I know I'm a pain in the **** :)

lotusmark2 said:
Do you know if the bose door speakers are available from the stealers?
If so do you know the part numbers (I know I'm a pain in the **** :)
You can buy every component, nut, bolt and washer from the stealership parts dept, I got a quote for a bodyshell once ;) . I don't know the part numbers, but if you want to call your parts dept and tell them your door speakers need replacing...give them this chassis number: WDB 202 024 2F 792 563. If they look that up on their EPC they will find the Bose components :) .

What a star
Cheers
Stupid question but they will fit any 202 yes?

(I'll then go away and let you get on :)

Shude said:
You can buy every component, nut, bolt and washer from the stealership parts dept, I got a quote for a bodyshell once ;) . I don't know the part numbers, but if you want to call your parts dept and tell them your door speakers need replacing...give them this chassis number: WDB 202 024 2F 792 563. If they look that up on their EPC they will find the Bose components :) .
:eek: is that your current car's VIN? or another that was fitted with Bose speakers? No prizes for 202 hehe, hmm 024 is C230k ? and I believe F means built at the Bremen plant.

S.

lotusmark2 said:
Stupid question but they will fit any 202 yes?
Probably! All facelift w202 models could be optionally equipped with the Bose upgraded setup so I suppose they should fit in your car. You might need to get the adapters as well though, the EPC will show the parts people an exploded diagram of the doors with all the parts displayed (as a really bad line-drawing ;) ). I should warn you though, I don't know how much these speakers will be and I suspect they won't be cheap.

Steve_Perry said:
:eek: is that your current car's VIN? or another that was fitted with Bose speakers? No prizes for 202 hehe, hmm 024 is C230k ? and I believe F means built at the Bremen plant.
That's my current car's VIN. You're right about the 202, 024 and F, the "2" before the "F" refers to it being right hand drive :) . The final 6 digits are sequential.

well after a quick call to the steelers and a large whiskey.
4 Bose door speakers not fitted, the bargain sum of £343.
Wont be getting them then :)
Spoke to my ice guys who fitted the rears and they recon the Cerwin 1502 in the front will make a difference but a box is the way to go if you want real bass, well they would say that wouldn't they £600 later if I listen to them.
Thanks for the pointers guys, any further points of wisdom please feel free to throw them at me.

Oh and Steve....... you sad sad git! get out more :D (chassis number break down)

lotusmark2 said:
Oh and Steve....... you sad sad git! get out more :D (chassis number break down)
:p A mine of useless information me :D I do try to get out more but it still doesn't do me any good :p

S.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom