Fighting Torque 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lopes80

Car
W211 E55
Hi guys,

Chance to see just how fast your car really is, 1 mile timed drag race!

Enjoy going as fast as you like with out getting arrested! :D

Myself and another E55 are already booked, along with two M cars.

Here is the link. Home 2010

Paul

Right, I have registered and paid up for this....I am therefore 100% attending!

Rashman/BrabusSL - get yourselves registered guys...I'm expecting you to be there too!

Hey guys,

Just had a little read of their site.
Very interesting.

Lopes, I'll speak more about this with you on saturday.

Palmball, hope you are well, old bean.

:thumb:

Hi guys,

Chance to see just how fast your car really is, 1 mile timed drag race!

Enjoy going as fast as you like with out getting arrested! :D

Myself and another E55 are already booked, along with two M cars.

Here is the link. Home 2010

Paul

Just looked at the 2009 runs.
Some interesting results when you compare your E55 with the other E55 that was there.

You have better mid range, it would suggest, no? :rock:
But he achieved a very slightly higher max speed.

Ive been keeping an eye on this, im holding out for news about vmax at Brunters though.

If no news about vmax a week before and theres still places im gonna sign up.That runway is super smooth and i want to beat my 151mph from last time.

Marty

You doing it then Rash?

Quite possibly.

... I might need to pop my continentals back on though, depending on how much demand is needed to be placed through the rears.

But I've read that there isn't so much a need for crisp, perfect, road creasing starts as there used to be, so I may be good to go with the Kumho's. :rock:

I'll chat to Lopez about it on saturday (if he can make it).
Get an idea of how it all plays out.

Nice one Palmball! Rashman and Cliff you guys cannot miss!

It will be so much fun! 63vs63, 63vs55k 55kvs55k :D:D:D TEAM AMG!!!!

The other E55 that's coming should be faster than mine! Is mod list is endless!

Cant wait!

Nice one Palmball! Rashman and Cliff you guys cannot miss!

It will be so much fun! 63vs63, 63vs55k 55kvs55k :D:D:D TEAM AMG!!!!

The other E55 that's coming should be faster than mine! Is mod list is endless!

Cant wait!

LOL!

Enhance your calm, old bean...... enhance your calm.

:D

Just looked at the 2009 runs.
Some interesting results when you compare your E55 with the other E55 that was there.

You have better mid range, it would suggest, no? :rock:
But he achieved a very slightly higher max speed.

My car was quicker, his car faster, both stage1 at the time but he runs a 180mm pulley vs my 168mm, he makes a little bit more power.

I thinking yes possibly then I think umm, my tyres are on th 2mm line, would you suggest thats the best time to go to an event like this to finish a set of boots or get a new set first?

I thinking yes possibly then I think umm, my tyres are on th 2mm line, would you suggest thats the best time to go to an event like this to finish a set of boots or get a new set first?

Get new tyres.

I have two Bridgestone RE050 275/35/19 with 5/6 mm left (no punctures) for £150 + post if you want. I was saving them for my 19" wheels but I no longer have them.

Paul

So, what were the results of the day???

Well, firstly I thought I was being stood up with Lopes not turning up until tea time ;) (I think the E55 must have broken down on the way!!) but alas he eventually showed and...well, showed me up too :eek:

In all seriousness, I was probably a bit disappointed although in reality, it seems rather foolish to be disappointed with the actual result. I managed a not too disgraceful 169.6mph (lets call it 170mph?) in the standing mile which compared quite favourably with the other 'normal' cars at the event. In fact, IIRC this was the best time for an N/A car....I'm sure someone will stand me corrected though! Indeed, there was a guy with a 740bhp (IIRC) RS6 who got just 4mph more than me...despite having the traction advantage that 4wd no doubt gives!

What I was disappointed about was my ability, or lack of it, in getting the car launched. :doh:

Manual mode = Fail. The paddles just don't respond fast enough to stop you smacking into the limiter which is infuriating.

Sport mode = Fail. You floor it, the car wheelspins. You don't floor it and the car changes up early. You floor it then let off then floor it again and the car goes from 1st to 2nd then back to 1st all before it's hit 30mph!

I guess thats the limitation with a torque converter gearbox and whilst I think the 7G Speedshift is great on the road, it was pretty useless as a transmission for doing standing starts! I'm not sure if a better start would have given me a better terminal speed but it just felt like I was missing something.

So, if I did indeed have the quickest N/A than that would be a result but the guy who REALLY can be proud is Lopes who I believe achieved a simply awesome 180.1mph in his E55. A great result there Lopes and IIRC that's at least as quick as the 600bhp GT-R and 600bhp 997 Turbo?? Well done old chap!

One more thing...what I can say is this event wasn't the kindest on the condition of my pretty much perfect car! Firstly, my front end is screwed - I have so many blood stains on it which have bonded to the paint protection film I've had fitted and they will not shift. Tar remover, abrasive polish...nothing will shift the stains so I've decided, after my final Nurburgring trip this year, I'm taking the film off and letting the paint look after itself for a while!

Secondly, my rear wheels which were in perfect condition before the event are now in a right state. The rims of both wheels, right next to the tyre, looks like I've driven them round a curb :mad: but on closer inspection, the lacquer is all pitted. Not sure how that could have happened as it's on both rear wheels but not the front :dk:

I took the car into my local dealer to see if they would replace the wheels under warranty and they agreed it was very unusual so they've taken photo's to send to MB and I'll find out in a couple of days if they'll change them for me.

One more thing...what I can say is this event wasn't the kindest on the condition of my pretty much perfect car! Firstly, my front end is screwed - I have so many blood stains on it which have bonded to the paint protection film I've had fitted and they will not shift. Tar remover, abrasive polish...nothing will shift the stains so I've decided, after my final Nurburgring trip this year, I'm taking the film off and letting the paint look after itself for a while!

Secondly, my rear wheels which were in perfect condition before the event are now in a right state. The rims of both wheels, right next to the tyre, looks like I've driven them round a curb :mad: but on closer inspection, the lacquer is all pitted. Not sure how that could have happened as it's on both rear wheels but not the front :dk:

Great write up Palmball.

You pretty much summed up why I'm just doing road driving now. I know cars are for driving and we can expect things to go wrong when they are driven hard but..... it appeared to me that every time I changed something on the car I'd end up having it done twice (ie amending the spec the second time to get it how I wanted it in the first place) and the amount of punishment these big heavy cars take on track days is far beyond even the very hardest road driving and the cars suffer. For example, I moved to 19 inch wheels/tryes and find that the latter rub on the wheel arches when pushed hard (and don't get me started on the ride quality). I go to VMaxx and do 163mph :bannana: and the fog light pops out and smashes (wind pressure?), and of course brakes and tyres just get eaten on the track so you either upgrade the brakes and hear horrid sqealing all the time on the road or keep the road pads and suffer break fad too quickly on track.

But I miss the tummy flutters of coming into a corner just a tad too fast ..

Nice write up Palmball, defo need to get that paint protection stuff off and just give it a clay and wax, and the bugs should just wipe off!

Regarding the gearshift delays, i also find that hence end up in S mode most of the time, i guess if you get used to the delay you can time it right and anticipate the next gear change.

Paul (Lopez) i must say you smashed it, well done!

Interesting reading about the gear shifts.

I was at Woodbridge a few weeks earlier, and had a ride in an acquaintance's XKR down the strip. He disabled all the traction stuff (I suppose the equivalent of our 'dyno mode'), and went for a really leary squirrelly launch. (There was an award for fastest man sideways, or something similar.)

It started very well, lighting up the rears and getting quite sideways, but instead of red-lining it in 1st, the bloody thing dropped straight into 2nd and immediately the back end kicked back into line as the engine briefly bogged down, and we had to wait a moment for it to pick its skirts back up again and really go.

My mate was really crestfallen. :eek: He didn't fancy wasting a set of rears just trying to get the hang of launching it properly. Mind you, he still maxed out at 165, which wasn't too bad for a speed-limited motor.

Hi guys
Good times. Do you know what the quarter mile time was..?

I'm ****** that my car was not ready always next year or the pod

Acid

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom