File Hosting (redux)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinal

MB Enthusiast
Car
x254, G350, Duster, S320, Mach1, 900ss and a few more
A query... more of testing the ground to see what people would do.

I have a large number of files that I use for work. These range from sanitised versions of old reports and presentations, to manuals, diagrams, etc. Basically, it's my reference base.

Up until now, I've been lugging these around on a tb drive, and have a backup at home (it's all encrypted before people ask ;) )

I've been considering an alternative, nominally to have these available over the wire instead of on a HD. Hence, I was thinking SCP/SFTP/FTPS to connect to the files. Would save me a lot of hassle in carrying a HD. I could connect a spare HD onto one of the spare macs and run something there.

Next, I looked at hosted options, where a local copy sync's with a cloud server... and I can then access that server. These are quite cheap in some cases, but storing 1TB of data isn't cheap...

Another option is to buy a qnap or other has raid array, and "do it properly"...

but I'm not sure which to choose...

Any ideas?
M.

I have a QNAP that i'm not using, you could buy it off me cheap?

Get a website set up, 1TB isn't going to be too expensive. I use this lot and they seem value for money. Would seem to give you what you need.

https://www.one.com/en/product

or one of the many others.

I use adito to be able to connect to my file server across the internet (ssl web site)

I use adito to be able to connect to my file server across the internet (ssl web site)
Adito looks interesting! I'll have to have a play :) Thanks

Get a website set up, 1TB isn't going to be too expensive. I use this lot and they seem value for money. Would seem to give you what you need.

https://www.one.com/en/product
or one of the many others.
1TB with one.com drive is almost £60 a month - I can buy a 2TB drive for that... I was looking at feral hosting (which a friend highly recomends) and they seemed interesting, but again, I'de be looking at £50 a month. That's one of the main issues stopping me going hosted (and the whole encryption issue... I did think of an encrypted PGP share on a hosted vm, but then it just gets too complex)

I have a QNAP that i'm not using, you could buy it off me cheap?
That could be interesting - which qnap is it?

M.

Ended up buying a drobo and 2x 3TB HDDs...

Waiting on the delivery so I can set it up, and there's plenty of space for upgrades in future... I have a feeling my backup and archive HDDs are now a little to small :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom