Filled up diesel - check engine light now on and whining fuel pump..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derektrotter

Car
MB
Hi All

Was after some advice, I've got a 2011 plate W212 E250 Diesel, never had any issues with fuel pump whine etc, I filled up yesterday evening at Tesco (live right next the filling station).
This morning while driving the check engine light came on and the fuel pump is making noises, when I put the key in the ingition I can hear the fuel pump, it almost sounds like worn out ball bearings.

Question is does this sound like contaminated fuel or can these pumps fail without any warning? I've called Mobilo out and they confirmed 2 codes:
- P008791 - fuel pressure in system is too low
- P263509 - The fuel flow rate of fuel pump "A" is too low. There is a component fault.

Going to take it to a Indy this afternoon, I'm hoping it may just be a fuel filter, not sure if theres any way to test if it was contaminated fuel or just happen to fail, if it is fuel I'd want to drain the tank and replace the fuel.

Advice appreciated :)

The pump is noisy. It isn't the filter. It is also unlikely to be the fuel you added but it might have been caused by letting the tank get low and pulling up muck from it if it has been allowed to get unusually low.

When I owned a diesel I put Tesco fuel in once, it ran like it was misfiring for a week until I put VPD back in.

I use Tesco diesel all the time....no issues in 80k miles

Used Tesco fuel for the last 10 years with no issues but they did have a contaminated fuel issue a few years ago (I luckily managed to dodge that incident) which came to mind when this happened.

I ended up going to Autoclass in MK who changed the fuel filter and it now seems fine, fuel pump noise has dissapeared and check engine light gone, will probably go for Shell or BP premium fuel for the next tankful to have a clearout.

Fuel filter was due (but not overdue yet) for replacement this year part of the major service as its nearly 4 years old, wasnt expecting it to cost £190 (£60 of which diag) just for the filter but i'm glad the car is sorted!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom