Filler cap. Which side of the car ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

c240yaz

MB Enthusiast
I read this recently while abroad.

If you look at your petrol gauge , you will see a small icon of a petrol pump.

The handle of the petrol pump will extend out on either the left or right side of the gas pump.

If your fuel tank filler cap is on the left of the car, the handle will be on the left on the dash. If your tank is on the right, the handle will be on the right.

I immediatly told myself, must only apply to US cars, but when I got home recently, it seems to be the same here, so far.

Check yours, see if this applies !!

Last edited:
If you look at your petrol gauge , you will see a small icon of a petrol pump.

On many newer cars there is a little triangle/arrow icon on the side of the pump symbol that indicates which side the fuel cap is located.

I think I saw this on MB Harrogate's dealer web-site a few months ago under a "Did you know that" type section and it seems to be right. I thought all German cars had theirs on the RHS though and, having driven predominantly German ones, it seems to be true as a Metro I once owned had its on the LHS.

Portzy.

This was only discussed here recently and was, like now, proven to be incorrect. We have three cars - and at least one of those disproves the theory;) . It might apply to a particular marque - but not across the board.

It's a sad world where people rely on an indicator on the dash to let them know which side of the car the filler cap is. Most pumps have long enough hoses to make it irrelevant anyway.

I think I saw this on MB Harrogate's dealer web-site a few months ago under a "Did you know that" type section and it seems to be right. I thought all German cars had theirs on the RHS though and, having driven predominantly German ones, it seems to be true as a Metro I once owned had its on the LHS.

Portzy.

The 163 ML is on the passenger side:eek:

It's a sad world where people rely on an indicator on the dash to let them know which side of the car the filler cap is. Most pumps have long enough hoses to make it irrelevant anyway.

I frequently end up in hire cars - and invariably you forget to check what side the filler is when setting off.

And technically the hoses are usually just long enough. But I for one don't like dragging or stretching a hose across the rear of a vehicle (wouldn't do it to my own unless forced so don't like doing it rentals either).

I frequently end up in hire cars - and invariably you forget to check what side the filler is when setting off.

And technically the hoses are usually just long enough. But I for one don't like dragging or stretching a hose across the rear of a vehicle (wouldn't do it to my own unless forced so don't like doing it rentals either).

Same here - but I usually remember which side it's on if it's one of our cars I'm filling. But I just won't drag the hose across the bodywork. I'd rather just move the car or wait a bit longer if pumps are busy.

If I'm using a hire car - and I used to regularly use one or two a week - I'd find myself heading towards the petrol station looking for the same car to see which side the filler was on :D :D

I sometimes find that while a hose may be long enough - sometimes they can be heavy and quite unwieldy and difficult to manage on the right side - let alone the wrong side. I'm only a little woman after all :eek: :eek: :devil:

I remember when this was last posted here. Shortly afterwards we were on holiday and hired a car. When my wife asked which side the cap was on when we came to fill it up I smugly informed her of the gauge thing.
There was much mikey taking when it turned out not to be true and I'd parked too far away to stretch the pipe over. :eek:

If I'm using a hire car - and I used to regularly use one or two a week - I'd find myself heading towards the petrol station looking for the same car to see which side the filler was on

LOL.

Done that as well. :D

Mines on the rear panel, i can park at whichever pump i like, although in a lot of garages these days i have to leave a lot of the car sticking out the front of the pumps which gets right in everyone elses way. :D

Regularly fill up on the wrong side it that's the only pump available, was tonight. Hose never touches the car though.

Hose never touches the car though.

Sadly life was designed so that some of us are treated unfairly.

And part of that unfair treatment is to be burdened with the almost but not quite long enough hose on the wrong side of the car.

To rub it in life was also designed so that others are favoured and blessed, for the sole purpose that we, the lesser and burdened ones, can be made aware of the fact that we are cursed.

Sorry, but have been abroad for almost 3 months, thus missed earlier post(s)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom