filling sump with petrol

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricardo62

Car
e320
ok a curious ? but I have always wondered if you had an old car that you were scrapping what would happen if you drained the sump of oil and filled it with petrol? and started it up

Don't know...but if you try ir, set up some sort of remote starting facility...well away from the car.

why?

it would probably burn out the plain bearings in no time. unlikely to explode. catch fire - yes as the breather would be attached to the intake, which would backfire a bit as its now running horribly rich (assuming its a petrol car)

why?

really - why? waste of petrol, destroy an old car that someone in a less well off situation might be able to salvage some bits so he can go to work and feed his kids......

I wonder if its ever been tried ? and jamming the throttle open for dramatic effect? im not planning to try it out I am just curious I would have thought it would explode ?

It won't explode as there wouldn't be sufficient free oxygen, but it might be fun.

Find a car with a knackered engine and put a gallon of petrol into it and run it till it stops.

When I was at college I worked in a small "full service" filling station and (thankfully not while I was on duty) a woman came in with VW Beetle which she'd borrowed and insisted to the lad (who knew it was wrong, but still did it) to fill the car with fuel through the oil filler on the engine!

She then tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over.

It won't explode as there wouldn't be sufficient free oxygen, but it might be fun.

Find a car with a knackered engine and put a gallon of petrol into it and run it till it stops.

If you want to wreck the engine you may as well just drain the oil and run it. It would be 7 quid cheaper.

If you want to wreck the engine you may as well just drain the oil and run it. It would be 7 quid cheaper.

You would be surprised how long an engine goes for without oil. Also, he wants to know the effect of adding petrol to the sump.

Replacing oil with petrol will cause it to fail quicker. As for how long an engine runs without oil? Not long in an air cooled lump. Brand new 1914cc lump i bought had an oil pump fail, lasted about 150 metres and cost over £5k :-(

I know this is silly but another thought what would happen if you drained the coolant and replaced with petrol instead of water ???

Search Youtube for `engine destruction` or similar, there are loads of videos of engines being run without oil / with water instead of oil / at full throttle etc.
It`s surprising how long it takes to kill them...

I know this is silly but another thought what would happen if you drained the coolant and replaced with petrol instead of water ???

The petrol would just boil off.

Now I'm getting worried about you Ric - you need to get that job before the men in white coats arrive :cool:.

Yes I prob shouldn't have started this thread it does tend to make me look like im some kind of pyromaniac , but rest assured I have no intention of carrying out the experiment .
and yes two more job applications sent off today .

A long time ago when bangers cost around £10-25 I had a surplus hillman Imp which had some of that mollibendum?? additive in it for a fortnights use before draining the oil. The car did an impressive eight miles flat out before tightening up. It didn't sound very happy for most of the journey though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom