Filling Tyres with nitrogen

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I filled my tyres with nitrogen (from work ;) ) for a while and to be honest didn't notice any difference really. I suppose when checking pressures routinely you might say they didn't vary greatly but if I was paying for it then I wouldn't bother as it's £20 for 5 tyres at Drivers in Glasgow.

Maybe the big difference is in the safety aspect.

Maybe filling tyres with Helium would be more interesting.
How much lighter would it make your car?

...........hey to much helium could avoid all those traffic jams........

Nitrogen was introduced for aircraft tyres 15 years ago as a safety measure so that if there was a brake overheat the leaking air from the fusable plugs on the wheels did not add oxygen.

It does help to stop corrosion as A/C wheels are Mag alloy. Most tyres lose pressure when you check the pressure. At £20 a shot.....mmm A van a big bottle of N2 20 customers a day ..£2000 a week. Drop a line to Mr Darling make it illegal Eu rule etc..

:eek: Nitriogen is a must for tyres but tooo dangerous for just anyone to fill up, all the nasty air has to be removed etc etc.

Car without nitrogen are limited to 35 mph.

What time would suit.......

rgds

dave

i had nitrogen in my tyres when they were replaced, it cost £5 and from then on free pressure checks and top ups when needed, doesnt seem to make any difference to the way the car drives.

The reference on the link to maintaining a constant inflation pressure is plain wrong. My local tyre place used to make this claim for nitrogen as well, but anyone who remembers their 0 level physics will know that the gas law says that gas pressure varies with temperature for all gases, so the pressure in your tyre will vary with temperature.

At our local tyre place you no longer get a choice. Everyone gets nitrogen. Can't see it making any difference at all though!

A tyre is essentially a rubber membrane through which gases will permeate. So any tyre, no matter how well sealed at the rim & valve, will eventually go flat.

Air is about 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen, but oxygen molecules are smaller so will permeate through three times faster than nitrogen. So a pure nitrogen fill will stay in place a bit longer than air and obviously will prevent internal oxidation.

So critical applications like aircraft & racing tyres, fine. Everybody else just get a Halfords footpump.

T'huh!

Satch beat me to it...

I was going to post that I've been inflating my tyres with 79% hydrogen for the last 15 years with no problems whatsoever. ;)

Completely agree, it seems to be a bit of a gimmick for most of us.

Ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom