Filling wheelarches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Palfrem

MB Enthusiast
Car
W124 E36 AMG, G 300 GEL his, SLK 200 hers
I get the feeling my G needs something more muscular in the arch department.

It's on standard 15 inch wheels at the moment and any larger G Wagen alloys are very thin on the ground indeed. Those that are out there are very expensive.

It has been suggested I get some BFG AT tyres or General Grabbers.

Any other suggestions?

Those alloys really date it, have you tried eBay.de?

Are you going to get rid of the orange indicators also?

Indicators due to be changed.

I'd like some Ashtaroth wheels but haven't come across any yet

Will browse German eBay. Currently bidding on a interior mirror on there. Mine has had it, the silvering is coming away.

Just bought it a new steering wheel and a correct Hirschman electric aerial.

You'll probably need to upsize the tyre to get appreciable arch filling, but it will change your effective gearing.

What are you looking to do with it? No point getting something aggressive if it's never going to venture into the boonies. The new BFG AT or Grabber ATs are prime choices

What are you looking to do with it?

It will be taking me fishing quite a lot.

I like the look of the BFG's. What is the max tyre size on the standard wheel do you think?

I have BFG A/T on my ranger and would not recommend them they are lethal in the wet! and not very well made balancing issues from day 1.

Tony.

I have BFG A/T on my ranger and would not recommend them they are lethal in the wet! and not very well made balancing issues from day 1.

Tony.

Original ATs (which are an ancient design in need of retirement), or the new AT/KO2 that was released in the last 12 months?

It will be taking me fishing quite a lot.

I like the look of the BFG's. What is the max tyre size on the standard wheel do you think?

It's less the wheel size (as you can get some massive 15" tyres) and more how much clearance you have without a suspension lift.

Stock size is 255/75R15 IIRC? Going to 265s would give you about another 0.5" height, otherwise you're into 31" tyres (31x10.5R15, perhaps).

Original ATs (which are an ancient design in need of retirement), or the new AT/KO2 that was released in the last 12 months?

It's less the wheel size (as you can get some massive 15" tyres) and more how much clearance you have without a suspension lift.

Stock size is 255/75R15 IIRC? Going to 265s would give you about another 0.5" height, otherwise you're into 31" tyres (31x10.5R15, perhaps).

I have the KO, the General Grabbers i had before were brilliant but could not get them again through our dealer! but would not have them again and would not even try the KO2's just in case! But that's just me.

Tony.

Tony.

The KO2s are much much better in that respect, the old tyres are well known for being useless in the wet.

Hankook Dynapros are also a good option, even their MT model (RT03) works acceptably on road. I had them for a while on my Amazon before switching to Grabber ATs

Last edited:
The KO2s are much much better in that respect, the old tyres are well known for being useless in the wet.

Hankook Dynapros are also a good option, even their MT works acceptably on road (had them for a while on my Amazon).
When this set has gone i will probably go back to H/T tyres not doing much off road nowadays!....Thank god!

Tony.

A VIDEO illustrating the latest wheel tyre combo and body colour:eek:. Looks like a slightly larger diameter wheel with a slightly lower profile tyre- but essentially the same tyre width and rolling radius . The broad flotation type tyres beloved in the US make a lot of sense in DESERT/ soft sand type environments but often in wet muddy conditions or snow a narrow tyre bites better.
[YOUTUBE HD]56TfprbDPYI[/YOUTUBE HD]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom