Films you tried to watch but soon switched off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Star Wars. All of them.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"What's that film you like? The one with that guy? He's got a tin foil pal and a wheely bin. His dad's a robot and he'd ****in ****ed his sister. They're all made out of ****in lego and there's a planet of teddy bears".

"Star Wars?"

"That's the one!"

LOL

I think it's very important to trust your instinct...

We watched The Lighthouse yesterday - Rotten Tomatoes gave it an approval rating of 90% based on 359 reviews, with an average rating of 8.06/10. The site's critics' consensus reads, "A gripping story brilliantly filmed and led by a pair of powerhouse performances, The Lighthouse further establishes Robert Eggers as a filmmaker of exceptional talent."

I wanted to switch off so many times but persevered to waste 100 minutes thinking surely the critics couldn't have got it so wrong...

My yardstick has become to avoid any films with reviews like " a directorial tour-de-force", "avantgarde cinemaphotography", "you're not conscious of the subtitles" or worse of all "a film with a message"

Oh, and anything reviewed as ground-breaking by Mark "I can use 25 big words instead of 1" Kermode

I am committed to watching every crap movie to the bitter end... no idea my. The missus usually gives up if it's boring.

I like films and do usually end up watching to the end if it's remotely interesting ... including old ones I've stumbled across while channel surfing. Mrs BTB on the other hand is reaching for her phone 5 minutes into any film, even one she's chosen herself. I sometimes attempt to get her to watch a good/classic film that I've recorded (last one was LA Confidential), but it's pretty much a lost cause.

So why watch them?
I don't! sometimes you don't know it's a musical until they start singing. :) Not the cinema obviously, you'd make sure it wasn't a musical, before you went, I'm talking about the telly.:rolleyes:

I don't! sometimes you don't know it's a musical until they start singing. :) Not the cinema obviously, you'd make sure it wasn't a musical, before you went, I'm talking about the telly.:rolleyes:
That’s why I was confused but it makes sense now you’ve explained it.

I thought it was about time I saw the "Must See before you die" films (bit difficult after..) but could only remember 4 of them:-

On the Waterfront
Streetcar Named Desire
39 Steps
Citizen Kane

Didn't last more than 10 minutes into any of them.
Goes to show you can't trust the critics.

However I loved LA confidential and The Usual Suspects, probably because hanging onto the convoluted plots kept me awake.

They were very similar though, so maybe I have found my niche....

I thought it was about time I saw the "Must See before you die" films (bit difficult after..) but could only remember 4 of them:-

On the Waterfront
Streetcar Named Desire
39 Steps
Citizen Kane

Didn't last more than 10 minutes into any of them.
Goes to show you can't trust the critics.

However I loved LA confidential and The Usual Suspects, probably because hanging onto the convoluted plots kept me awake.

They were very similar though, so maybe I have found my niche....

Caught "The Wild One" for the very first time recently. Almost gave up but persevered. It was "of its time"

39 steps - the original, is by far the best of all the variations ... Robert Donat beat Clark Gable to the 1940 Oscar when Gone with the Wind was otherwise sweeping the boards ... as Mr. Chipping in "Goodbye Mr. Chips" ... persevere with that one, you'll be glad you did.

Most of the films I abandon are those based on a book which I've already read and know well. I'm sure many of these films work if you haven't read the book but I can't tolerate ridiculous liberties taken with the story line of a timeless classic. I tend to shout out "that didn't happen".

A good example would be Lord of the Rings. The book is wonderful but the films are nonsense. I was particularly irritated by the silly accents adopted. I actually fell asleep in the cinema before the film was finished.

There are films that are almost word for word faithful to the book, like To Kill a Mocking Bird or the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice which capture the feel of the book to great effect, so it can be done.

I've never even bothered starting Harry Potter, Star Wars or anything else along the same lines for that matter.

Even the thought of them is boring.

We love a good Statham movie but tried watching "Safe" recently.

We always give a film half an hour minimum and my god that was painful.

I've promptly forgotten some of the other films we gave up on over the years.

We love a good Statham movie but tried watching "Safe" recently.
Love watching Statham in films, all except Crank. Couldn't get on with either of those

Love watching Statham in films, all except Crank. Couldn't get on with either of those

Yeah, I think Crank may have been shyte as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom