Finally Clear Headlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex225

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS63 AMG
Well since buying my E320 the headlights have been cloudy. My local bodyshop gave them a quick buff with some compound when I had the wheels painted but never quite got there.

So I initially wet sanded and polished them. Looks scary when they get to this stage...

BAE42023-B0BA-4E56-9562-910305EAABB1_zpscbd1caqo.jpg

Polished up and they looked like this which was passable.

B3EE9690-B642-41CA-A4B8-2A03EBC671DD_zpsraonsy8i.jpg

But not quite right. It's the little details that make a car stand out from all the others.

So I picked up the Meguiars two step headlight kit. Part one is just a polish and the second is effectively lacquer. So last night I masked up the headlights and polished them again.

5A1DAFCF-F016-4045-9471-06E899596F94_zpsnt6gwb6s.jpg

Then gave them a spray which initially looked like it would leave a clear finish but with orange peel. Actually dried rather well, very pleased with the results.

6F1F6C85-4044-43A7-9914-5B0C984CF4D5_zps7pmf7shi.jpg

I'd say they are 95% sorted which is enough for me!

2E1DC020-EFF1-4CCC-AAA5-432B6AB90C6D_zpsaseumtbn.jpg

I'm going to leave the headlights a week of so then give them a coat of wax. I know this is a temporary fix that can be repeated but some UV protection won't go a miss!

Why don't you seal them instead of waxing?

I may well do. Don't have a sealant in my collection that would last longer than something like Collinite.

May invest in something new to apply as I need to clay and DA the E at some point before winter and then re-protect it. :thumb:

I've never tried a paintwork sealant, but dodo juice trim sealant and Gtech wheel sealant have really impressed me. I guess any of their glass sealants would be great on the headlights.

I think my next step would be a paintwork sealant, but with no garage, it's not that simple...

Good job, must do mine, i have used tooth paste before as a quick cleaning agent.

I've never tried a paintwork sealant, but dodo juice trim sealant and Gtech wheel sealant have really impressed me. I guess any of their glass sealants would be great on the headlights.

I think my next step would be a paintwork sealant, but with no garage, it's not that simple...

Well that's the thing, I've gone for the likes of Dodo Juice Red Mist which is a spray sealant to top up wax coatings but nothing too hardcore.

I have a garage but with a car stored in it so outside detailing only for me. It seems that sealants have a bit more a specific method of application to a wax.

To be honest thought, with two coats of Collinite lasting an easy 6 months especially topped up with Wetcoat I've never felt a huge need for sealants. Anything with UV protection should help the headlights though so will see what I have in my collection haha.

Well that's the thing, I've gone for the likes of Dodo Juice Red Mist which is a spray sealant to top up wax coatings but nothing too hardcore.

I have a garage but with a car stored in it so outside detailing only for me. It seems that sealants have a bit more a specific method of application to a wax.

To be honest thought, with two coats of Collinite lasting an easy 6 months especially topped up with Wetcoat I've never felt a huge need for sealants. Anything with UV protection should help the headlights though so will see what I have in my collection haha.

Makes sense to use what you have, I have too much detailing stuff and not enough time to use it all :wallbash:

But the hardcore sealants (little expensive bottles) are really impressive in terms of durability.

Great job on the headlights by the way!

I'm the same, got to a point where I was buying stuff and it ended up at the back of the cupboard. Got so many waxes I've not used.

I have Gtechniq C1 and EXO applied to my CLS but was done professionally. Will book it in later this year for a re-coat. They are hugely impressive though!

Alex where did you get this dim light led bulbs and did you get any error?

Happy to help mate :)

Let me know how you get on.

Buy new ones on E Bay they'll last years!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom