Finally found a suitable W202!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

se97mlm

Car
'98(R) Silver C240 Elegance
Well it's finally happened, i've left a deposit subject to viewing on the W202 C240 I have been looking for for the last 8 or so months!!! :bannana:

It is a 98R in Silver (sorry) with full black leather (ruffled door cards so not MB-Tex). 88k, 1 owner with FSH and original bill of sale for £32k5. Photos look exactly like Lotusmark2's c240 when he bought it. Same spec except seats being electric i think. Has electric folding mirrors, puddle lights, adjustable steering column, two stage seat heating and uprated £600 10 stack Cd stereo as listed options.

Living in Maidstone and the car being in Crewe i have yet to view the vehicle, but trader has agreed not to cash the deposit until the viewing is successful on Saturday.

I know that the Aircon compressor was changed at 71k and the car has had a service at the main dealer every 9-12k by the supplying dealer since new. COuld you guys give me any pointers as to things I should definately walk away from? Did an HPi check and all was clear.

Will hopefully have a good story for the GTG in Maidstone on Sunday... Will hopefully be the last long journey in my trusty green dragon Polo!

ps, It has the full complement of three buttons either side of the hazard flasher button. Anyone know what these are? Can't see from the angle of the photo

Last edited:
Well done !

3 buttons either side of the hazards on a saloon probably means heated seats, headlamp washer for the XENONS :D and the usual Alarm button / Door lock button, and ASR / ESP button, so good find :D

Hope it turns out to Be "the one" :)

S.

Sounds a great car! Check for rust in the wheel arches, lower doors, under the door seal all the way around, boot lid and around the inside of the bootlid, around rear number plate......

Turn the engine on and then turn the aircon full on and check outside the car. By the time you get back in to the car it should be like a fridge, check the tyres have even wear as worn shoulders can be caused by anything from the tracking needing down to new ball joints, bearings and even lower wish bones.

Look for stone chips on the front bumper and bonnet and infront of the rear wheels by now it should have lots of little ones, if not has it been resprayed.

Ask for the VIN number and then ask a dealer to print off the spec sheet for your car. It will tell you everything that was fitted at the factory. If a dealer wont do that coz its not your car ask for help on here and someone will sort it for you.

Check everysingle button and gadget properly new aircon, electric seats, ESP ECU is dear. When you turn the ignition on check every warning light on the dash actually illuminates before all going out. A blown or removed bulb in the dash can hide faulty electrics or even brakes.

others will doubtless add more, but it sounds nice but check it out with your head. All the best!

Last edited:
Did you check my list then? Did you find any of the faults?

i took the list with me and went over it with the dealer with the provercial fine toothed comb. He also pointed out that the w202 often rusts around the fuel filler neck in the area under the flap. Everything was perfect thankfully.

The car had a new MAF sensor 5000 miles ago, which is good. It was indeed fridge-like inside after a few moments of aircon on. The tyres were about 1/4 worn and showed no signs of uneven wear at all. There were a couple of marks on the paintwork, namely the normal stonechips and a slight scuff on one corner of the front bumper. I have the same on my similar vintage/mileage Polo that i have had from new, so it seemed in order. There was no evidence of a respray at all. :)

Thank you very much for the time it took you to compile the list, it was very much appreciated indeed! much better than any online guide you have to pay for!!

Excellent. Really pleased for you. Enjoy your great car!

Sounds like a nice car. Enjoy those electric seats - I think they are rarer than Xenons on a w202. My cloth ones are anyway!

sym said:
Well done !

3 buttons either side of the hazards on a saloon probably means heated seats, headlamp washer for the XENONS

Headlamp wash does not have a button. Operates with lights on, activated by normal washing of windscreen.

GrahamC230K said:
Headlamp wash does not have a button. Operates with lights on, activated by normal washing of windscreen.

Ahhh ... must be the button to flip the rear centre headrest down then !

S.

from viewing, i will try to remember what the buttons are:
left seat heating, stage 1 and 2
asr/esp off
headrests
central locking
anti-tow away alarm thingy on-off
right seat heating, stage 1 and 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom