Finally get chance to try the ML in snow!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumberMart

Car
CL500 4.7 twin turbo
After the harsh winter last time, I swapped the W212 for the ML last July. Today is the first time I've been able to check it out in the snow. In short, the traction is great, and I could always pull away and power on with amazing grip.

However stopping, as suspected, that was the big problem!

Going down even modest gradients, there was virtually no stopping assistance from the brakes, the ABS rendered them useless.

So that's the learning curve from this morning - have confidence in the ability to get about, but crawl down any hill in a low gear at 10 mph or less!

429507_10150581162484096_778429095_8790570_637034409_n.jpg

What tyres does it come with as standard? Are they not mud and snow or at least all season?

Stopping in he snow and ice is all about the tyres, particualry important with a 2 tonne vehicle.

Nice looking car you've got there mind.

In my two wheel drive beasties I knock them into neutral if trying to stop on ice/snow (slow speed stuff) No point me pressing the brakes if the rear wheels are trying to drive me forward. It does work for me.

Tyres

What tyres does it come with as standard? Are they not mud and snow or at least all season?

They're just the standard 20" 265 Pirelli PZeros, so pretty much normal summer road tyres.

Looks

Stopping in he snow and ice is all about the tyres, particualry important with a 2 tonne vehicle.

Nice looking car you've got there mind.

Thanks, like many, I much prefer the looks of this 'old' grand edition, to the new 2012 ML.

It has a 'complete package' or 'well balanced' look to it. Whereas the new one looks a bit barge like with small wheels. (IMHO!)

That is your problem in a nutshell --wrong tyres for the conditions. Wide wheels/low profile tyres/ summer tread pattern/compound--- look good and may help braking/handling on the limit on a dry road in the summer. But ----- cold /wet conditions/snow ---- they don't work well. I am always disappointed that big 4x4 manufacturers insist on fitting high performance summer wheels/tyres to their vehicles as standard without at least the option of specifying a more practical wheel tyre combination. Short sighted and just plain silly!

I am always disappointed that big 4x4 manufacturers insist on fitting high performance summer wheels/tyres to their vehicles as standard without at least the option of specifying a more practical wheel tyre combination. Short sighted and just plain silly!

4 x 4s are sold to people generally more interested in the looks / image of the vehicle than it's actual practicality, hence the choice of wheels / tyres. I totally agree with you, what is the point, but then I'm a Devon boy with a series III land rover and probably don't get it. Last year I passed an X5 stuck in the snow on a hill in my Volvo C30 with winter tyres, smug didn't even come close!!!

They're just the standard 20" 265 Pirelli PZeros, so pretty much normal summer road tyres.

That is I regret to say the makings of the classic 4x4 in snow pratfall.

All 4 wheel drive enables is more traction. But all cars have 4 wheel braking and two wheel steering, so without appropriate tyres all you have in terms of stopping and turning is a greater mass to deal with.

I went out at 08.00 this morning to pick up No.2 son who was stranded in the barren frozen vasty waste that is Guildford. Passed one of those huge Audi 4x4 things slithering about and later on saw a Range Rover on drug dealer sized alloys sliding slowly sideways into the kerb on a downhill stretch

Did that in an E class estate on winter tyres.

That is I regret to say the makings of the classic 4x4 in snow pratfall.

All 4 wheel drive enables is more traction. But all cars have 4 wheel braking and two wheel steering, so without appropriate tyres all you have in terms of stopping and turning is a greater mass to deal with.

I went out at 08.00 this morning to pick up No.2 son who was stranded in the barren frozen vasty waste that is Guildford. Passed one of those huge Audi 4x4 things slithering about and later on saw a Range Rover on drug dealer sized alloys sliding slowly sideways into the kerb on a downhill stretch

Did that in an E class estate on winter tyres.

I had the joys of picking No1 daughter up from the wastelands of Colchester at 0630 this morning (no taxi's would venture out to the wilds of Brightlingsea where we live). There and back 18 miles up hill, down dale, country lanes followed by 120 miles to Ramsgate for work. All in my W212 350CDI on winter tyres no problems at all. Saw plenty of "lifestyle" 4x4's struggling with the conditions. "All the gear (nearly) no idea" is how we used to term it in the Army.:doh::D

Firstly love your ML,great colour whole thing looks amazing.
You will have to probs to move forward as mentioned,stopping yes ml will slide.
Another set of winters would help you a lot.Then a nice trip to Alps :)

I have had two four wheel drive cars an Audi TT and an A4 (both run all the time with summer tyres)and they both performed well in snow and got me home in (very) rural North Yorkshire many many times. Where winter tyres are much better is in braking and cornering .We have winter tyres on my wife's Mito and they do a good job .

Last edited:
They should supply SUVs with a set of winter wheels & tyres as standard to stop owners becoming an embarrasment to the brand.

I have a colleague in Finland who has an E320CDi Estate and he says it's normal to get a set of winter tyres as part of the deal like we would get mats & flaps.

I have had two four wheel drive cars an Audi TT and an A4 (both run all the time with summer tyres)and they both performed well in snow ..

I must get to understand the difference in the AWD systems used - I've seen a several comments that Audi Q5's (obviously on summer tyres) are spectacularly useless in snow. There's a demo on the internet somewhere of a bunch of SUVs with one wheel on rollers and the Audi had to be pushed off.

I also found out stopping a 2 tonne car on ice and snow leads to a squeaky bum experience lol. But after coming from rear wheel drive bmws I must say I am glad of the traction I get from permanent 4 wheel drive.
I need new tyres soon so I think I will invest in some winter tyres on the standard rims and get another set of bigger standard wheels for rest of year. I will just swap wheels over at winter time.

pic not loading

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom