Finally located rattle in my Lexus...need advice on how to fix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

garystu1965

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI Coupe
For 18 months there has been dreadful plastic creaking and rattling that appeared to come from the centre console and Lexus have not been able to fix it with several attempts. My mate found it ! He said "it's coming from the glove box door". It's wierd how it seems to be coming from the central console but it is indeed the glove box door because if I open the door and put pressure on the hinges the rattle stops. As soon as I release pressure the rattling comes back. I don't want to have to tell Lexus to replace the door at this stage so I'm going to lubricate the area around the bottom of the door. What do I use ? WD40 or Silicon spray ? I have cans of both stuff. Thanks.

WD40 attracts muck, silicon is not as bad but not perfect you can buy plastic lubricants the best fix would be to source the noise and fix it.

I had similiar noise on my old disco took me months to find it and it also was the glovebox door, so i removed it drilled some small holes in the inside edges and filled the door with silicone bathroom sealant, never made a noise again.
This was an old car though and not under any warranty.

Lynall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom