Finally made a decision...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are you sure the steering and parking sensors aren't faults or have user configurable parameters in the menu system? Have you mentioned this on a suitable X5 forum?

Maybe you have two flat front tyres but can't tell by looking as they're run flats?

Are you sure the steering and parking sensors aren't faults or have user configurable parameters in the menu system? Have you mentioned this on a suitable X5 forum?

Maybe you have two flat front tyres but can't tell by looking as they're run flats?

I've fitted brand new (non run-flat) tyres, a definite improvement, but still heavy. Having researched it, they're quite famous for heavy steering.

I mentioned the parking sensors thing to a friend who's owned a few BMW's and he says its normal?

Normal on all my BMWs with it. Most BMW drivers seem not to care about hitting pedestrians.

Get it gone and buy a FFRR instead. It needn't be that expensive.

I havnt read fully this thread but can say I've had two RRS and both have been absolutely atrocious in terms of reliability. In LR defence though without questions they have been repaired under warranty.

Would I buy another. No not on your nelly!

Get it gone and buy a FFRR instead. It needn't be that expensive.
If I hadn't agreed a deal to sell my S204, the X5 would be up for sale already so it'll be another week or so.

Really can't put into words how disappointed I am with this motor, I really wanted to like it but even the wife has told me to get rid!

I bet you haggled hard when you bought it, so moving it on may not be too painful, if at all.

Get the FFRR :thumb:

I bet you haggled hard when you bought it, so moving it on may not be too painful, if at all.

Get the FFRR :thumb:

Not sure what to do to be honest, the S204 has been such a great car but it was always too small for a big lump like me so I might look at E-Class estates as opposed to 4x4's, I like the look of your A6 too.

Most X5 drivers are moaning like mad that the new F15 X5 doesn't have the steering feel of the E70 you have on yours. I agree with them, I love the hydraulic steering on it.
The synthetic steering on the W166 was the thing that stopped me buying one and getting my X3 instead. (Which is still a bit too light for me compared with my old 535d, 335i and the E70 X5 you have).

I hate the way the parking sensors come on on Mercs when just in traffic etc. I turn them off as soon as I pull away.

I do agree on the interior, but I think yours is black inside? it makes for a very sombre cabin imho. The cream interiors fell completely different, plus yours is the very last of the early X5s, a few months later and you get new trim, new cluster and new nav system which makes such a difference, that system is from 2003.

The problem for me at the moment is new cars fell bland to drive, and older cars feel so dated interior and infotainment wise.

And I will get ripped to pieces for this, but I am starting to wonder if maybe I was too harsh on the S212 E350 I had, after trying just about every new car out there over the last 2 years sice getting rid of it, I am thinking that maybe it is not such a bad steed after all.

Maybe we are turning into those old dudes who bang on about "last of the proper Mercs" etc yet the only difference being we think it's W211!

I can just see us on here in twenty years with young whipper snappers on about the latest W216 ; "but it's no W211, is it?! I bet it hasn't got a double sun visor like a W211?!"

As you know, I bough that C320 Sport Touring from the classifieds on here.

2006 S203, which many say was Mercedes worst hour. But I am totally smitten with it. The build is solid, the steering well weighted, the interior is superb, and I mean really well put together, and the whole car feels just so solid.

I had an early S203 220cdi for a while and thought it was good, but only OK, compared with the S211 it was leagues behind, but this facelift one feels like a more compact S211 which is my favourite Merc so far.

There is just something about that age that feels different, yet still modern enough to get away with it today. That is just something Mercedes lucked out on I think, that genre has dated well.

This is the same interior as mine...
TiuuTh.jpg

Still passable, unlike many cars from 10 years ago. I don't think the pre facelift W204 has aged as well.

I am not saying I don't love the new C Class interior....
MercedesBenzC250_evoAustralia_3.jpg

And I am sure the new E Class will be stunning, but the last few years have seen some pretty bland stuff from the Germans, they were still doing ultilitarian when the world was asking for more luxurious, and I think they have learnt that now.

I think the W204, S212, BMW E90, E60, E70, Audi A6 C5, A4 B8 etc. etc. will not be remembered fondly, they will be a generation of cars that get left behind never to be classed as classics, the next gen however is moving the game on again interior wise.
I guess we will have to see in another 15 years?

I love the look of the new W213 interior, leans towards the S-Class more which is a good thing.

Funny you mention the S212, I'm thinking about replacing the X5 with one as a short term option, then look at leasing a new S212 E63 when they're giving them away before the W213 comes out.

Thought this X5 would last a bit longer, 4-5 months at least, but it's not to be.

And I will get ripped to pieces for this, but I am starting to wonder if maybe I was too harsh on the S212 E350 I had, after trying just about every new car out there over the last 2 years sice getting rid of it, I am thinking that maybe it is not such a bad steed after all.
Hehehe. I'm saying nothing

:D

Still passable, unlike many cars from 10 years ago. I don't think the pre facelift W204 has aged as well.
After the poor reputation for quality that MB earned itself during the disastrous Schrempp era that beset the early W211's and W203's, my suspicion is that when it came to the W204 and W212 they deliberately adopted styling cues from cars built in the pre-Schrempp era when MB had a reputation for engineering excellence. One particular example is the slabby dash layouts which hark back to the W124 era. In that sense the pre-facelift W204's and the W212's are throwbacks to an earlier time and therefore out of step with contemporary styling cues. Perhaps that's why you don't think they have aged well?

Hehehe. I'm saying nothing

I was waiting for you to say something!! :D

I won't change my mind on the steering though. :p

After the poor reputation for quality that MB earned itself during the disastrous Schrempp era that beset the early W211's and W203's, my suspicion is that when it came to the W204 and W212 they deliberately adopted styling cues from cars built in the pre-Schrempp era when MB had a reputation for engineering excellence. One particular example is the slabby dash layouts which hark back to the W124 era. In that sense the pre-facelift W204's and the W212's are throwbacks to an earlier time and therefore out of step with contemporary styling cues. Perhaps that's why you don't think they have aged well?

You could be right.

I also think the lack of lighter interiors doesn't help, black never feels as luxurious as a cream, ivory or even grey interior.

I won't change my mind on the steering though. :p
Don't worry, you'll get used to it - eventually ;)
I also think the lack of lighter interiors doesn't help, black never feels as luxurious as a cream, ivory or even grey interior.
Couldn't agree more.

I spec'd my pre-facelift W204 with Alpaca Grey upholstery which meant it had Alpaca lower door cards and Alpaca carpet too, which really lightens the interior.

When I spec'd my 350CDI W212 I chose the Avantgarde trim over Sport largely because it was impossible to spec a Sport trim car with non-black headliner unless you paid for the Luxury Pack at (from memory) circa £2.5k. When I commented that the black headliner made the interior of the car look like a Teutonic coal hole the salesman helpfully suggested that "lots of people spec the Pano Roof to make the interior less oppressive" :rolleyes:

In the end I chose Almond Beige upholstery which came with a Macadamia headliner and Open Pore Ash wood trim. It always attracted positive comments from people who were used to seeing all-black interiors on MB cars. Even so, it still had black lower door cards and black carpet as fixed colours :mad:

Perversely, I now own an Obsidian Black E63, with an all-black interior - including the headliner! Still, it does have a Pano Roof... :wallbash:

They're all at it now, I was trying to spec up an F-Pace, but the 3 litre turbo V6 petrol is only available with a dark interior, if you want a light interior you have to have a 2 litre diesel.

I went with the Avantgarde just to get the grey interior.....

e350_5.JPG

But still lots of black everywhere...

e350_6.JPG

I liked the SE with the all grey or beige interior, but you couldn't spec lots of what I would call 'essential' options on it, not in the in the UK anyway.

5d1eb7e549868c9e1dbfeb57b31b73ce-jpg.284174

I always fancied an E63 Estate in that deep blue with this interior..
Mercedes-Benz-E-W212-Brabus-EV12-Interior.jpg

But that is a bespoke interior from Brabus, but very nice, imho.

Also found two more cracking little quirks with this POS; when you're low on fuel the clock goes off and is replaced by a petrol pump sign so there is no way to tell the time and also if you leave the key in the ignition (not necessarily on) the fuel fuller cap won't facking open!!!

Also found two more cracking little quirks with this POS; when you're low on fuel the clock goes off and is replaced by a petrol pump sign so there is no way to tell the time and also if you leave the key in the ignition (not necessarily on) the fuel fuller cap won't facking open!!!

Lee, I could be wrong, but I don't think you're gelling with the X5

The same as on a Merc when it says "Reserve Fuel - Drive to filling station", however, unlike the Merc, if you press the stalk button again it removes the warning and you go back to what was there. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom