Finally took the plunge - Defected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

machasm

Hi all,
Just to let you all know that I finally took the plunge and did a deal with a dealer and did a P/X for an 05 plate Lotus Elise 111R.
The cars are due to be exchanged on Wednesday.
The deal did break my heart though.
Against all the bad press the recent models of MBs have been getting I can honestly say the CLK never missed a beat nor had any issues except for a small oil temp sensor problem which gave false alarms about 3 times during my ownership.
The Lotus will have a hell of a lot to live up to.
Will post some pics in the defected gallery upon completion.
Mac.

Enjoy your new roller skate! Wife had one from new - fantastic fun but you'll need ear plugs for long distances!!!

Good luck and Lots of happy motoring.

Regards,
John

nice. good choice.

in fact. we need a go in it.

L O T U S

Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious :D :devil: But have fun

Shouldn't give you too much trouble with the K series engine. Great cars but sparse to say the least - getting in is a bit awkward for the ladies ;) Bodywork is very expensive to repair!

Enjoy!! Bit restricted on the creature comforts but will be such fun to play with:devil:

Thanks guys.
To Scumbag I say no worries. Next GTG if your we are both there and Graham.
Although only 1 at a time!
Mr Walker, Scumbag already told me that acronym but it seams that since the release of the Elise the reliability has improved significantly (probably down to the fact that the engine is a Toyota!).
Still, got to be easier and cheaper to fix than an AMG.

To Kwakdonut I don't intend doing many long journeys except to the odd GTG.
It also has the touring pack which is supposed to provide better sound proofing (yeah right).
Mac.
Edit: The 111R uses the toyota VVTI engine with 190BHP Stats007.

Bit of a change of direction.. big comfy 'bahn stormer to trackday missile. Hope you enjoy it! Watch out on wet roads though, they can be a bit unforgiving, shall we say. A friend of mine (not a novice driver by any means) managed to wrap his round a tree.. :(

Cheers,

Gaz

gaz_l said:
Bit of a change of direction.. big comfy 'bahn stormer to trackday missile. Hope you enjoy it! Watch out on wet roads though, they can be a bit unforgiving, shall we say. A friend of mine (not a novice driver by any means) managed to wrap his round a tree.. :(

Cheers,

Gaz
Thanks Gaz,
Yes quite a change! The wrapping round a tree has been playing on mind since I was able to get the back end of the CLK out a few times even with the TC on!
I will never forget the day I was travelling back from Heathrow on a winters evening outside temp was around 2-3 degrees. Was doing 60 on the M3. Put my foot down to overtake and felt the back end start snaking around with the yellow triangle flashing furiously at me. Made me both cr@p myself and smile at the same time.
Mac.

I went to a track day sponsored (and paid for) by lotus where they gave me a whole day of driving and instruction in a Elise, I have to say it was the best days fun I can ever remember having!

The instructor was superb, but the car, well all I can say is once I had got in it, there was a permanent grin on my face!

I am disabled, and it was a major effort to get in and out of the car, if that hadn't been the case I would probably have one now, I was actually invited to participate in their race series, but I had to many problems getting in and out of the car.

I did get invited back for a second day, and took advantage of that as well, but no matter how I tried I couldn't get in and out of the Elise so had to decline both the series and any thought of buying one.

machasm said:
Thanks guys.
To Scumbag I say no worries. Next GTG if your we are both there and Graham.
Although only 1 at a time!
Mr Walker, Scumbag already told me that acronym but it seams that since the release of the Elise the reliability has improved significantly (probably down to the fact that the engine is a Toyota!).
Still, got to be easier and cheaper to fix than an AMG.

To Kwakdonut I don't intend doing many long journeys except to the odd GTG.
It also has the touring pack which is supposed to provide better sound proofing (yeah right).
Mac.
Edit: The 111R uses the toyota VVTI engine with 190BHP Stats007.

OOo now that will be noisy ;) The series 2 with the K series would have been my choice - slower but you've got to live with it if it's your only car.

Rebel said:
I went to a track day sponsored (and paid for) by lotus where they gave me a whole day of driving and instruction in a Elise, I have to say it was the best days fun I can ever remember having!

The instructor was superb, but the car, well all I can say is once I had got in it, there was a permanent grin on my face!

I am disabled, and it was a major effort to get in and out of the car, if that hadn't been the case I would probably have one now, I was actually invited to participate in their race series, but I had to many problems getting in and out of the car.

I did get invited back for a second day, and took advantage of that as well, but no matter how I tried I couldn't get in and out of the Elise so had to decline both the series and any thought of buying one.

Thats a shame Rebel.

stats007 said:
OOo now that will be noisy ;) The series 2 with the K series would have been my choice - slower but you've got to live with it if it's your only car.
The K series engines suffer from Head gasket failure accourding to a lot of owners on SELOC.
I didn't really notice the noise too much in my test drive.
We do have a second car though and that will be used for the majority of running around.
When that gives up (a Ford Focus probably got 2-3 yaers life left) will probably look at a good old reliable Merc as a replacement.
Mac.

Test drives are a bit funny really - you need to live with the car for a few days to get a good impression. That's not to say the 111R isn't a great car - it will just need it's neck wringing compared to your CLK.

The K-series are fine if you leave them be - it's when people start hunting for more power without thinking of the consequences that problems start.

What colour have you gone for?

As a side note I've always fancied a V8 Esprit but not had the courage to endure maintenance costs!

stats007 said:
Test drives are a bit funny really - you need to live with the car for a few days to get a good impression. That's not to say the 111R isn't a great car - it will just need it's neck wringing compared to your CLK.

The K-series are fine if you leave them be - it's when people start hunting for more power without thinking of the consequences that problems start.

What colour have you gone for?

As a side note I've always fancied a V8 Esprit but not had the courage to endure maintenance costs!

The Colour is Mr Walkers least favourite.
Silver.
I am sure I will miss the CLK for many reasons.
1) Tons of torque
2) Effortless driving
3) Auto box
4) The sound when you boot it.
5) The surprise on your passengers faces!
Mac.

You will however have a proper sports car - light and fast and extremely rewarding when driven near it's limit on a track.

machasm.. Wow, thats a real change of direction! For what it's worth, I had a series one exige and it was great fun. I think you have 100% done the right thing avoiding the k series unit as, even in standard trim, they do have head gasket issues.A ex work collegue of mine decided not to wait for the dreaded HGF and went for a supercharged honda civic type r conversion in his exige... that thing flew ! If you ever get a chance to watch a guy called Gavan Kershaw in action, do so. He was ( and maybe still is ) the Lotus test driver and REALLY knows how to get the best from an elise.Only when you see someone like that in action do you fully appreciate what a 'low' powered, but lightweight car can do....
Anyway, enjoy !

sye73 said:
machasm.. Wow, thats a real change of direction! For what it's worth, I had a series one exige and it was great fun. I think you have 100% done the right thing avoiding the k series unit as, even in standard trim, they do have head gasket issues.A ex work collegue of mine decided not to wait for the dreaded HGF and went for a supercharged honda civic type r conversion in his exige... that thing flew ! If you ever get a chance to watch a guy called Gavan Kershaw in action, do so. He was ( and maybe still is ) the Lotus test driver and REALLY knows how to get the best from an elise.Only when you see someone like that in action do you fully appreciate what a 'low' powered, but lightweight car can do....
Anyway, enjoy !

After reading up a bit there seams to be another guy Andrew Walsh who does some test drives.Here is a link to his website.
Thought I would book a day with him and some cheap tyres.
Mac.

stats007 said:

Eh?

My boss had a Rover 75 - head gasket failed. Colleague had an MGF - non VVC - head gasket failed. I don't think it was the quest for more gee-gees stats - it was a fundamentally flawed gasket design.

TOTALLY agree re the V8 Esprit, but again the running costs scare the bejesus out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom