Finding a part for my W114 - where to look?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
My 5 speed gearbox is missing a part, A1152607737, which is the lever that shifts between 3rd and 4th.

I have tried Inchcape but no joy, a search is being done at another MB parts supplier just in case. I have looked at Niemoller, DB Depot, SLS, MB classics, Glauner, Classic Mercedes. I'll try the usual breakers (Mercman, retrodave etc) but are there any below the radar people I should try?

If this is not possible, what are the thoughts on getting a replacement made? The EPC is obviously not a source of dimensions but it looks as though adapting a shifter from elsewhere might be an option.

All help gratefully received, this is a big problem of whichI've only just become aware, if not soluble, the car is going to end up as an auto.

Interesting. 1152607737 comes up as the black number on the EPC which is listed for third and 4th. There is a red number underneath - 1152607537. For reverse, the black number is listed as 1152609337 with the red number underneath 1152607737 (the same as third and fourth).

Does this mean the reverse shifter is interchangeable?

Just had a check on my EPC and it seems that 1152607537 has been replaced by A1152682530 along with a bushing? Same part for reverse, 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th levers. See screen shot.

Attachments

• 1152607537.jpg
    1152607537.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 24
Looking again at the original part 1152607737, the lever is 'dog-legged'. The bushing needed with 1152682530 may create this offset??

Referring to the EPC diag in post #4 and using the 3 digit numbers (commencing '3') which lever is it that is missing?

On my EPC for the 5 speed box it's 46 (the middle one) below (1152607737 with 1152607537 in red) which is doglegged

On the diagram Sam posted above it's 380. Which isn't doglegged.

bootlid%20in%20primer%201_zpsjlujt6ad.jpg

Last edited:
Part 246?

Perhaps has multiple applications, making finding one a bit easier?

Attachments

• 114 gears.jpg
    114 gears.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 14
I found the dog legged one in the picture Charles posted by searching the part number , I then searched the red part number which brought me to the one in the picture I posted.
I read it as it requires the bush to create the offset required to replicate the dog legged lever and the other 2 levers without the bush? It may have been a cheaper alternative to producing 2 different arms maybe?

Just had a check on my EPC and it seems that 1152607537 has been replaced by A1152682530 along with a bushing? Same part for reverse, 1st and 2nd, and 3rd and 4th levers. See screen shot.
Think that diagram refers to the column gear change? but you could be right about the straight lever and bush

Last edited:
If this is not possible, what are the thoughts on getting a replacement made? The EPC is obviously not a source of dimensions but it looks as though adapting a shifter from elsewhere might be an option.

If you can find something with the appropriate female spline then it shouldn't be that difficult to fabricate one. If not from an MB part then possibly a gear lever or kickstart lever from (smallish) bike. A fuel injection pump from a large industrial diesel may have a splined arm.

Its possible the reverse gear lever from an early W123 250 gearbox might do the trick. A1232670030----- £55 from Inscape [ but been burnt on that one before ] ---- just a guess.

If you can find something with the appropriate female spline then it shouldn't be that difficult to fabricate one. If not from an MB part then possibly a gear lever or kickstart lever from (smallish) bike. A fuel injection pump from a large industrial diesel may have a splined arm.

The problem might be determining the correct length which will depend on the throw required to operate the internal change selector and that imparted by the change rod when moved by the gear-lever. A temp slotted lever would suffice to determine that then a permanent version run up. Later Merc boxes have welded on arms so something from there wouldn't do.

The problem might be determining the correct length which will depend on the throw required to operate the internal change selector and that imparted by the change rod when moved by the gear-lever.

Mole grips on the spline to determine the range of motion required followed by available motion from gear lever then a quick bout of arithmetic (involving Pi). Or merely find the point on the Moles that equates with the travel and crib that length.

I have managed to find the original part A1152607737 but no response from the website owner. I've also found A 115 260 75 37 and A1152682530 so if Sam's thesis is correct, I'll need a bush too.

If the original bush is hard to come by, a grommet will surely do the job.

Another source has come up trumps for A1152607737.

This now means I have far more gear shifters than I know what to do with...

"Need a gear shifter? Come to Swiss Charles's shifter emporium"

Swiss-Toni-800x450.jpg

Well, the gear shifter emporium is now fully stocked, 3 & 4th gear selectors from early 70s boxes our speciality.

Having found A1152682530 first (left most), I then managed to find a NOS A 115 260 75 37 (middle) complete with original bush (it's an integral part of the shifter, whereas the one on 2530 is a separate part you insert), and needless to say, Simon Sayers at Rivervale managed to track down the correct original part A1152607737 (right side - also with integral bush).

The two replacements are exactly the same length and offset, and are appreciably shorter than the original, and also rather less dog-legged - in fact, even with bush, it's just under a centimetre of offset less.

levers1_zpswxcu1p7s.jpg

The original integral bushes are feeble things, with only a tiny amount of rubber holding them on to the lever, and they allow a lot of movement within the aperture.

levers3_zpstwncgg2c.jpg

The latest bushes are solid rubber and have almost no scope for any movement at all. I'm inclined to think the shifting is going to be a lot easier with a new rather than old style bush.

levers4_zps8o8qkfzv.jpg

As to lever length - go original I think, it's this shape and design for a reason, unless anyone thinks a shorter shift lever would make shifting more straightforward/pleasant, and re-bush with the later bush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom