Finding all the "W" very confusing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adrian5405

Car
2010 C180 Komp Sport (1.6) W204.
Hi all.
Being new to MB i never imagined there would be so many different models, all of them W's:doh:
Ive just about worked out mines a W204 but wondering if there is a list anywhere of whats what?
Silly me thought a C class was a C class etc etc.

Have to say though, im loving the car,

Welcome.

The W stands for ****er.

That's the way it seems when you first start looking at it anyway.

There's a full list on Google/Wiki somewhere.

And 'R' and 'A'!

w202, w203 etc means wagon. ie saloon. 202 was the first c class. 203 the next.

most people refer go their car as a w... even tho its oft (like mine) a s..... meaning eState, or coupe c..... etc etc

so mine is technically a s211, but as its more commonly the w211, when i have an issue, i look for eg "w211 broken left handed sproget" not "s211 broken left handed sproget"

From the practical point of view... once you know your car is a 'W204', that is all you need to know in order to maintain it.

It really does not matter what all these other models are.

But by asking this question... 'is there a list somewhere...' you have made the fateful step into MBclub Mercedes aficionado territory... and there is no way back. Welcome! :D

All cars have a code number - BMWs are E and F, my Toyota is a ST191 and MINIs are "R". Enthusiasts (read anoraks) like to be specific.

My Toyota is actually a ST191R-AEMVKS
My anorak is a Barbour.

But by asking this question... 'is there a list somewhere...' you have made the fateful step into MBclub Mercedes troll territory... and there is no way back. Welcome! :D

Fixed that for you Mark.

Adrian, whilst the prefix letter (based on the German language) normally relates to the body type, W stands for Wagen (saloon) in your case, and the first three numbers denote the model/chassis designation. Each time a model is replaced, it's replaced with another model of the same name, e.g. C Class, so the first three numbers identify which generation of C Class the vehicle is, and so it works across the MB range.

Many thanks for the helpful replies, making a bit more sense now.

Fixed that for you Mark.

Absolutely.

I recall being told to 'RTFM' when I first joined the club 10 years ago by one of the old grunters, nothing much has changed eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom