Finding someone whao has gone to ground!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Latest update:

His father received his credit card statement that shows several items purchased from Amazon and a few other places. The father has no Amazon account nor has he ever shopped on-line.

Our assumption is that the son has used the card (now cancelled) and has had goods delivered somewhere and has sold them to raise cash.

We are waiting for a response from the card company to see if they will / can provide addresses, Amazon etc say that as it was not his account (although his card!) they cannot help without a court order!

I once engaged an ex head of drug squad Policeman who had gone private to track down a person of interest. It took twice the time he said it would but still called me back at the end of the same day I made the inquiry with address, tel numbers, car rego the whole lot. He did say that that was the most difficult case he had ever had, even as Policeman, but still tracked him down within six hours.
I feel it is a matter of finding the right guy to go looking....

The apple never falls far from the tree, if he comes back to the house follow him is an option if you sit on the house. If you do get some info an address from the amazon stuff do not by any terms steam in there get some leverage on him first , such as see where he sells the kit etc. Private eyes are not bad it acts as a firewall between yourself and the POI so you are in the clear as any work you may do unbeknowingly get you into trouble

The apple never falls far from the tree, if he comes back to the house follow him is an option if you sit on the house. If you do get some info an address from the amazon stuff do not by any terms steam in there get some leverage on him first , such as see where he sells the kit etc. Private eyes are not bad it acts as a firewall between yourself and the POI so you are in the clear as any work you may do unbeknowingly get you into trouble

He has no idea that the injunction was granted although he had the papers notifying him of the hearing and outlining the application. We think that he is working on the basis that it is in place and will not try to come back.

CCTV is in place if he does come back so we will have a record of time, date etc. The local Police have notice of the injunction and are aware that it carries power of arrest.

If we do turn up an address we will use the same Process server as before, we will not let him wriggle of on a legal technicality.

We are also going to inform the DVLA that he no longer lives at the address registered with them so if he fails to re-register his car and driving licence he will be committing further offences that may bring him to light

We are not doing this with any degree of malevolence, he has clear mental health problems and help has been offered many times, including after these events but he prefers to ignore reality and live off others but it is imperative that his father is able to have the full protection of the law.

I know it would be letting the bad guy win , but if this drags on , another option would be to relocate the father to some place where the son won't find him .

I know it would be letting the bad guy win , but if this drags on , another option would be to relocate the father to some place where the son won't find him .

That is simply not an option, the father is adamant that he will not be forced out of his own home. He actually used rather more colourful language:D

Neighbours have been keeping watch (and a list of anyone coming to the house) and so far, along with the CCTV records no one that should not be visiting has been noticed.

He has no idea that the injunction was granted although he had the papers notifying him of the hearing and outlining the application. We think that he is working on the basis that it is in place and will not try to come back.

CCTV is in place if he does come back so we will have a record of time, date etc. The local Police have notice of the injunction and are aware that it carries power of arrest.

If we do turn up an address we will use the same Process server as before, we will not let him wriggle of on a legal technicality.

We are also going to inform the DVLA that he no longer lives at the address registered with them so if he fails to re-register his car and driving licence he will be committing further offences that may bring him to light

We are not doing this with any degree of malevolence, he has clear mental health problems and help has been offered many times, including after these events but he prefers to ignore reality and live off others but it is imperative that his father is able to have the full protection of the law.
Sorry I did not note the mental health part, so I guess the approach should certainly be "tactful"

You have all the intrusion/detection systems and eyes I would recommend. I guess patients/ luck is what you need now more patients to be fair and everything in place for when he returns or is found through your enquiries good luck chap

Latest:

The father has had a message left on his answerphone (by an unknown male, not the son) asking for his father to 1/ Pay his car tax! and 2/ put some money into the bank account. If you did not know this little scroat it would be beyond belief.

However, they called from a private number, we do not have the document reference number to be able to go on-line and tax the car and, as the son is well aware, he cannot draw money until he has the bank card that we hold!

We are not dealing with the highest levels of intellect here but if they call again (and they will now the need for more money is driving him) then he will have to agree to meet and then we will serve papers via the Process server and I can have a little chat about his future, he may well reflect on things when he finds out his father has amended his will to write him out! :)

A sad state of affairs and as a parent it must be painful for the father to see matters at this stage.

I would recommend a private Pi or investigation firm (of ex coppers or military). Just used them at work and the speed and depth of their resources is a little unnerving.
However, it seems the son is surfacing, but with help so that maybe unnecessary.
I would be concerned with the company he is keeping (ref the call) and that they may target the fathers house to burgle it with prejudice.
A real concern as a the son will spin them a yarn about valuables etc and him having access and all. Covert Cctv and some new locks won't help. It needs people with presence as some thugs wil not. be put off by one average Joe being there.
I hope I am wrong, but please consider it.....

A sad state of affairs and as a parent it must be painful for the father to see matters at this stage.

I would recommend a private Pi or investigation firm (of ex coppers or military). Just used them at work and the speed and depth of their resources is a little unnerving.
However, it seems the son is surfacing, but with help so that maybe unnecessary.
I would be concerned with the company he is keeping (ref the call) and that they may target the fathers house to burgle it with prejudice.
A real concern as a the son will spin them a yarn about valuables etc and him having access and all. Covert Cctv and some new locks won't help. It needs people with presence as some thugs wil not. be put off by one average Joe being there.
I hope I am wrong, but please consider it.....

Thank you for your comments and concern.

I very much doubt it, the son knows what there was of value i.e jewellery etc he has already stolen, anything else such as Share certificates, bonds etc are deposited in the Bank. He is (and I quote the original Police Officer that removed him ) low life scum.

What will have happened is that he has moved on to another "victim" with some sob story and having outstayed his welcome is being moved on.

The son is also aware that some very unpleasant people are looking for him and we could, if so minded, point them in his direction. We will not but the idea is in his head anyway!

No not Benjamin :)

Latest information is that he may well be in Shropshire, possibly in the Morda area, he used to live and work there some years ago.

As of today the bank have formally confirmed he cannot take out any further funds without providing a verifiable address and applying for a replacement card. Importantly though, it is a joint account they will inform his father of any such request and new address.

I have also spoken with his last employer to rule out him being the person that left the message. He had not heard from him since he dismissed him in March for taking drugs at work and being rude and aggressive to both the business owner and customers, of course he told his father told that he lost his job because he injured his back could not perform some tasks and he was unfairly sacked.

Interestingly there are a couple of caravans parked on the business unit his ex-employer uses, one of these has recently been broken into and has been used (left in a filthy state and damaged internally)so the Police are looking into this and have taken prints from it.

The net is, hopefully, tightening!

Update:

Contact has been made from a number in Shropshire!

I called it back to receive "What do you want?" (I have removed the swearing!)

The entire conversation was, as ever, him trying to demand things such as his car tax etc. Eventually a tacit agreement was reached for some money to be placed into his account (which I doubt he may access) but not the car tax payed.

The hook is that if he provides a time and place to meet a process server to receive the Court papers consideration may be given to some limited, further funds.

The rest was just the usual bluff and bravado of someone circa 200 miles away with no control.

Does anyone know, is it possible to find an address from a telephone number?

He did also admit that he had stolen fuel from a filling station to get there!

Last edited:
It is, but it depends on what paperwork you're holding. In my professional experience (some 6 years past) we would only give out certain information on proven valid request of a police investigation, or a high court order.

It's amazing what you can find with some shrewd search engine work though.

Is someone claiming the film rights for this? Much better than that Tom Hanks thing.

Just a quick thank you to those who have posted so far.

Having ideas and support from the Forum has been very helpful, hopefully we are close to the end but with this type of person we never know!

His father is very concerned that without the Court order being served he will not have the legal powers this brings and this is very much playing on his mind and it is obvious in his demeanour that this is affecting his already frail health significantly.

Nobody wants retribution, just a legal remedy that may be used to protect the father. He then has 12 months breathing space in which to think about things, sort out his life and re-build his confidence to the stage where he may enjoy himself again.

Watch this space.........................!

The problem really is that if the root cause is a mental health issue, then you might as well throw logic and reason out of the window.

My experience (albeit limited) is that if someone doesn't get help reasonably early, then the psychosis can develop to the point when the people trying to help are clearly working in concert with their enemies. - Obviously I'm not qualified to make such a statement, it's just from anecdotal observation.

When drugs are involved the problem gets bigger. Drugs (and other forms of substance abuse) tend to make underlying mental issues much worse.

You can find an adress from a telephone number fact. Dialling code plus the prefix. I work for a telecoms company but I can not help if this goes south i cant give you an address I will be linked to the catalyst of the end proceedings but maybe befriend a local telecomms engineer. But i did mention the apple does not fall from the tree so check out his old haunts/friends in shropshire check his known assosciates facebook pages if possible for pictures or possibly sympathetic posts on there newly returned mates misfortune . You never no good luck chap

Hopefully the final update! (although somehow I think not...)

The Court papers outlining the order were successfully served on him today. The Process Server went through the order in detail and ensured it was understood before handing over the defendant's copy.

It was also made clear that any breach is a criminal offence and that power of arrest was part of the order with no further need to refer to a court first.

Hopefully now all parties may be able to move forward and each re-build their lives as best they are able.

Thank you all once again for the posts and messages, it really does help to know that there is genuine support available ready to be given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom