Fines only ..... what happened to justice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Out of touch magistrates with no idea of a proper punishment.

I'm sorry, but if that had been me, that turd would have found out how quick an E55 can accelerate with him on the bonnet.
I'd worry about the consequences afterwards.

Last edited:
[ Duplicate post deleted ]

We know how it will develop. The story goes on to point out that she "distanced" herself from calls to restore the death penalty, and that the much-touted 20,000 coppers to be recruited will still leave total police numbers less than they were in 2010. I don't think criminals felt 'terror' all that much back then...

Newly-promoted politicians' promises are like concept cars at motor shows; the reality, if it happens at all, is almost invariably much less than was promised. The reason why so many politicians were previously lawyers is that it gave them a head start in telling plausible lies with a straight face...

The best way to deal with crime is by recruitment and training more detectives and improving detection rates. Criminals are not stupid, they (mostly) commit crimes when they know that they will only be caught due to bad luck....

Out of touch magistrates with no idea of a proper punishment.

I'm sorry, but if that had been me, that turd would have found out how quick an E55 can accelerate with him on the bonnet.
I'd worry about the consequences afterwards.

There are guidelines that all magistrates have to follow. You can look them up under the sentencing council website. Whilst it is possible to stray slightly from the guidelines it is not permitted to jump way off. For instance you cannot just send someone to prison because you (the magistrate) feels it is appropriate. You need to follow the guidelines and along with your two fellow magistrates take into account all the circumstances and come up with a measured and proportionate sentence.

If someone was to drive along with someone on their bonnet purposely accelerating or attempting to throw them off they may well find themself on a manslaughter/murder or at the very least assault charge which is far more serious.

The death sentence means never having to say " Oh it's you again"
The death sentence might also make criminals 'feel terror' , just before they meet their fate .

There are guidelines that all magistrates have to follow. You can look them up under the sentencing council website. Whilst it is possible to stray slightly from the guidelines it is not permitted to jump way off. For instance you cannot just send someone to prison because you (the magistrate) feels it is appropriate. You need to follow the guidelines and along with your two fellow magistrates take into account all the circumstances and come up with a measured and proportionate sentence.

If someone was to drive along with someone on their bonnet purposely accelerating or attempting to throw them off they may well find themself on a manslaughter/murder or at the very least assault charge which is far more serious.
If the person jumped onto your bonnet in a criminal act , standing on the brakes , or reversing quickly , to get them off could be seen as self defence , and in no way a criminal act ; the wrongdoer has no business being on your bonnet in the first place .

If the person jumped onto your bonnet in a criminal act , standing on the brakes , or reversing quickly , to get them off could be seen as self defence , and in no way a criminal act ; the wrongdoer has no business being on your bonnet in the first place .

True. However using a disproportionate response that leads to injury or death will result in serious consequences.

For instance, suppose you accelerate away whilst he is holding on and then brake suddenly to force him to fall off at speed. This would be seen as a deliberate attempt to injure the person.

Personally I would drive slow enough that he hangs on and make my way to a police station having dialled 999 already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I want the death penalty back for child murders,the cretins that do that are not worth a space in this world.

True. However using a disproportionate response that leads to injury or death will result in serious consequences.

For instance, suppose you accelerate away whilst he is holding on and then brake suddenly to force him to fall off at speed. This would be seen as a deliberate attempt to injure the person.

Personally I would drive slow enough that he hangs on and make my way to a police station having dialled 999 already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is all a matter of perspective ; I would take the view that he brought injury on himself by his criminal act ; ergo if he had never jumped on my bonnet he would never have been injured , and if his presence had placed me in a state of fear and alarm , it is perfectly reasonable that I would want him off my bonnet by any means possible , either by braking sharply if still moving forwards , or by accelerating quickly in reverse , if he jumped on whilst I was stopped . In either case I would accept no responsibility for his injuries as it is reasonably foreseeable that jumping on the bonnet of an occupied car with the intent to do harm might lead to injury , hence he would have brought that outcome on himself and would be solely responsible for it .

It is broadly similar to the case , reported in the media a year or more back , where a yob tried to mug an elderly gent in the street ; what said yob didn't realise was that the old chap was an ex Royal Marine who , despite his age , proceeded to wipe the floor with him , and no question ever arose of the old chap being charged with assault .

Also , remember the case of the old man who stabbed one of two burglars from the local travelling community with a screwdriver he had brought along to commit the burglary , killing him , and no criminal proceedings were brought , although the burglar's peers were somewhat aggrieved .

This would be quite different from the owner of a vehicle jumping onto the bonnet to try to prevent it from being stolen ; the difference being that one is a criminal act and the other is not .

Ordinary people going about their daily lives should not need to be too concerned about the outcomes of fighting back against criminals .

Last edited:
Well I want the death penalty back for child murders,the cretins that do that are not worth a space in this world.
In particular for that odious woman who murdered her two toddlers because they got in the way of her social life ; a suitable period of punitive suffering before execution would be appropriate though .

It is all a matter of perspective ; I would take the view that he brought injury on himself by his criminal act ; ergo if he had never jumped on my bonnet he would never have been injured , and if his presence had placed me in a state of fear and alarm , it is perfectly reasonable that I would want him off my bonnet by any means possible , either by braking sharply if still moving forwards , or by accelerating quickly in reverse , if he jumped on whilst I was stopped . In either case I would accept no responsibility for his injuries as it is reasonably foreseeable that jumping on the bonnet of an occupied car with the intent to do harm might lead to injury , hence he would have brought that outcome on himself and would be solely responsible for it .

It is broadly similar to the case , reported in the media a year or more back , where a yob tried to mug an elderly gent in the street ; what said yob didn't realise was that the old chap was an ex Royal Marine who , despite his age , proceeded to wipe the floor with him , and no question ever arose of the old chap being charged with assault .

Also , remember the case of the old man who stabbed one of two burglars from the local travelling community with a screwdriver he had brought along to commit the burglary , killing him , and no criminal proceedings were brought , although the burglar's peers were somewhat aggrieved .

This would be quite different from the owner of a vehicle jumping onto the bonnet to try to prevent it from being stolen ; the difference being that one is a criminal act and the other is not .

Ordinary people going about their daily lives should not need to be too concerned about the outcomes of fighting back against criminals .

I agree they shouldnt have to worry too much about defending themselves, I was just putting a possible 'other side'.

This is such a massive subject, and brains far superior to mine are already working on it, but these are just a few of my musings:

A good insight into the British justice system can be found by reading ' The Secret Barrister ' - It is very enlightening about the ways in which the various persons involved in the justice system have their hands tied.

All the time that there is poverty and greed ( even if some of the poverty is only perceived ), crime will be with us. I seem to remember a story about somebody who sole a loaf of bread to help feed their family - The punishment was for them to be shipped to Australia. I guess that not all of the old punishments should be bought back.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that people enter the police service with the intention of rapidly making career moves to office based jobs, rather than staying on the front line where they are needed. - This seems to happen in so many industries. So no matter how many more police we have, there will not be that many more out on the beat.

Wasn't farmer Tony Martin simply defending his property ? - Look what happened to him.

Reactions: 219
Clickbait.

This is such a massive subject, and brains far superior to mine are already working on it, but these are just a few of my musings:

A good insight into the British justice system can be found by reading ' The Secret Barrister ' - It is very enlightening about the ways in which the various persons involved in the justice system have their hands tied.

All the time that there is poverty and greed ( even if some of the poverty is only perceived ), crime will be with us. I seem to remember a story about somebody who sole a loaf of bread to help feed their family - The punishment was for them to be shipped to Australia. I guess that not all of the old punishments should be bought back.

I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that people enter the police service with the intention of rapidly making career moves to office based jobs, rather than staying on the front line where they are needed. - This seems to happen in so many industries. So no matter how many more police we have, there will not be that many more out on the beat.

Wasn't farmer Tony Martin simply defending his property ? - Look what happened to him.
Yes , too many chiefs and not enough Indians . I think the case of TM was a travesty .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom