Finger marks.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

milleplod

Car
S212 E350CDi
....on the shiny black door pillar trims - how can I get rid of them?! I've tried WD40 and various other stuff from the depths of the garage, but nothing's worked. God alone knows what whoever it was that made the marks had on their hands!

Pete

Could well be suntan lotion. It's really nasty and etches the lacquer.

Sometimes you can polish the marks out but you need an abrasive polish ideally two types one more abrasive and one finer to finish off.

If it goes wrong you can replace the trim but generally I find you can polish a lot out of most plastics and automotive paint.

Agree with Jason - suntan lotion is a nightmare. I had to MOP a friends Galaxy once over. It eats into the laquer
Meguiars Scratch X works wonders

My wife was a childminder and the rear door area was covered in small handprints, as above, it had etched into the lacquer. I rubbed it back & re - laquered. It worked, but on a Honda Jazz not much of a risk!

You only need a light cutting compound for these, they are really soft, if you go too heavy it will make it harder to bring them back

They are only around £50 to replace from MB

Just a quick update on this. I bought some of the Meguiars Scratch X the day after reading grum71's post, but I only got round to using it today. Wow! I expected to have to use plenty of elbow grease for some reason, but no....a bit of a rub, a polish with a clean cloth....job done, nasty fingerprints gone and the trims look as good as new!
The Meguiars is also very good at getting rid of fingernail marks on the interior piano-black trim - a bit more rubbing, granted, but it works a treat. Highly recommended!

Pete

I reckon it's finer than G10 - having used that on various bodywork marks previously, I've always had to polish the area afterwards. The Meguiars didn't need anything else applying afterwards, just buffing with a clean cloth.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom