Fintails up for grabs !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennesspipers

MB Enthusiast
Car
'95 W202 C220 Elegance saloon & 2001 C240 V6 Sport Estate
On E-Bay, listing number 200390613698 is a part restored fintail, with another one for spares, wish i was richer !:mad:

Here is the link.

If I had the garage space to take this on, I would definately go for it:(. The hard work, ie the body has already been done, so not difficult to finish off.

Shame about the colour, as in black these look fantastic as the darker colours really show off the masses of chromework.

They are lovely cars, I am pretty stupid so I might bid, my Range Rover is almost finished so I am looking for something to keep the wife unhappy for the next 2 years!

Only thing to watch out for on these is the injection pump. They cost a fortune to replace / overhaul.

Think of all the cut fingers & grazed knuckles you could have on a project like that. There's an old saying "Its not a mans hobby unless you spill some blood". Ah joy !

These things are so cool. I really love them, If I have a barn/workshop and enough money to win the auction I'd love to have these and restore it to it's former glory.

Good luck James, be nice if someone on here got 'em. Only wish i could find room/afford them.

When I had my Capri I rented a garage off one of my customers who next to nothing, but today I can't find even the smallest garage to keep a car in for less than £100 a month, and I'd need space for 2 cars and a toolbox and room to work! :(

Finished at £2500

Or was that his reserve,cos it made 1 jump from £1220 to £2500 on close of auction.

Yep, the final bid would've been at or above the reserve which must've been what it went for.

I bought them!

Hi Guys,

I bought both the cars with a last minute bid. The reserve was actually £2k but I put a £3k bid in at the last second hence the reason the price shot up. My dad owned one of these when I was about 5 and I have always hankered after another since then. The part restored one has had many thousands spent on it in bodywork, but the head is off awaiting an unleaded conversion. I have heard that this is overkill so will be re-fitting as is and checking clearance regularly. I havent seen the cars and wont until they turn up on the lowloader. I intend to finish the white one quickly then give it to my dad. Not sure about the 230s - apparently all of the decent bits of chrome have been taken off for the good one. I may put all the rusty stuff back on the SA import and run it as a "rat look" . More likely I will sell it as spares or repair due to space constraints. My background is old V -Dubs , campers and bugs but I am looking forward to the new challenge.

Chris

Hi Guys,

but the head is off awaiting an unleaded conversion. I have heard that this is overkill so will be re-fitting as is and checking clearance regularly.

Chris

Congrats on a great purchase !!! Considering that the bodywork has been done, you certainly got yourself a bargain !

Regarding the head, as it is off it would be wise to fit the hardened valve guides / seats, but if you don't wish to do so, I suggest you at least fit new valve stem oil seals, just in case they have hardened which, by now they probably have due to age / lack of use. It will save you having to pop the head off again in the long run.

Good luck :)

Last edited:
Thanks Guys I will try to keep you posted on progress. Must admit the buying unsighted is always a bit of a butt clencher - they wont be turning up til next week but Aidy the seller says he has spent over £10k on the car so far (not sure if this includes purchase prices).Speak soon and will take your advice on Stem seals!

If it is any help , I ran my Ponton (same engine) for over 15 years on unleaded without any modifications and no ill effects . Similarly , my 220S Fintail (still awaiting restoration) gets turned over regularly and runs quite happily on unleaded as do all Mercs of the era .

Having looked at what I have got I appear to be missing various bits of the cylinder head - colletts, cups and springs to name a few. Also if the cam is overhead then that is nowhere to be seen. Any ideas what other engines I could raid parts from in a scrappy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom