Fire engine on blues and twos (and very loud horn) takes the side off your parked car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slightly off topic but showing how some people can react to the emergency services:

I live down a small street, with cars parking down one side (residents permit require) and space enough for a single lane of cars. A couple of years ago I had a bit of a moment (suspected heart attack) and had to call an ambulance. A paramedic turned up connected me to the machine that goes "ping" etc. and then an ambulance arrived to take me to hospital, between the paramedic turning up and the ambulance driving away (about 10 minutes) about 3 people knocked on the front door to ask them to move the paramedics car or the ambulance which were blocking the road, apparently this is quite normal, one of the ambulance crew said they had even had somebody ask them to move the amulance while they were treating somebody at an RTA!!!

I also have a friend in the fire brigade, they have even had people ask them to move their appliance from the road while they were actually spraying water on a house fire!!!

I think the ignorance of some people is unbelivable!!

Doh! I must be getting old to be so out of touch. I think I'll stick with funbags - more interesting! :D

But to keep the thread on topic, it seems to me that the emergency services have so much to put up with these days, it's a wonder that anyone wants to serve in them.

Reading the newspapers about attacks on crews responding to call-outs just amazes me. Why do they get targetted - they are not symbols of authority to rebel against?

So when there are obstructions in their way, preventing them responding, it must seem like another slap in the face from society. If I had put in an emergency call, I would expect them to do whatever is necessary to get through - hindsight is all very well but lives are more important than material possessions that can be replaced.

Highway Code

217: DO NOT park your vehicle or trailer on the road where it would endanger, inconvenience or obstruct pedestrians or other road users. For example, do not stop
  • near a school entrance
  • anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services
  • at or near a bus stop or taxi rank
  • on the approach to a level crossing
  • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
  • near the brow of a hill or hump bridge
  • opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle
  • where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane
  • where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users
  • in front of an entrance to a property
  • on a bend.

UPDATE

It wasn't a trapped hand, it was a trapped finger. The finger was freed before the fire engine arrived. The house the fire engine was attending was approximately 75m from the incident with the parked car.

Insurance are now quibbling, despite the OiC stating "all will be ok, insurance will deal with it".

Strikes me this was completely unnecessary for the tender to cause what I understand to be £1900 of damage. Methinks the young fireman driver hit the parked car and didn't actually need to; and was advised perhaps inappropriately to drive on.

Back to the original question folks? How would you feel now you know more detail? :eek:

Rob

I'd feel - it sounds like hindsight, not the best thing to judge anyones actions on (unless you are a fully paid up armchair critic :D )

I'd feel - it sounds like hindsight, not the best thing to judge anyones actions on (unless you are a fully paid up armchair critic :D )
Beat me to it. The cars are in the wrong for blocking the road, but I wonder how easy it would be for some burly fire 'persons' to bounce the offending car out of the way?

Many many years ago we lived in a street where small single decker buses were replaced by large double decker's. It was quite common for ignorant car drivers to park practically opposite each other and then refuse to move. The bus would sound it's hooter, then the driver would knock on doors, then finally the police would come out and report BOTH owners. (They would always claim they were the first to park!)

John

I refer the right honourable gentleman to my first post in this thread ta very muchly,

I thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom