Fire Opal Mercedes C Class Coupe Paint Cracking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rahulgarcia

Car
Mercedes C180 Coupe
I have purchased a mercedes C Class Coupe last year. It was an ex demo and was only 6 months old when I purchased it.

I have just been cleaning the car and I have seem some paint cracking at the rear bumper and I am not sure why this is. Is this something that Mercedes will fix within warranty? Or is it wear and tear.

I must say its really annoying this has happened and its not even been a year.

View image: IMG 0193

Who knows why it's happening...but take it back and the dealer will deal with it. Why get annoyed? Get annoyed if they do not deal with ot as they should.
Things happen.

Ok thanks will call the dealer I purchased from and find out the issue. Main thing I wanted to know if someone else had the same issue.

Thanks

Looking at that bumper I would say that it has been flexed and the paint has cracked.

If you do a search issues with fire opal red have been discussed before and I'm pretty sure in at least one case Mercedes admitted to the paint being defective.

My wife had a low speed bumper to bumper incident a year or so back, walking pace sort of thing. (That's why she doesn't get my keys so often, you should have seen the numerous alloy kerbings when she went for a trade in!)

Anyway, her rear bumper subsequently showed cracks similar to your photo, so one could deduce this is the reason? You never know if someone did some parking damage when you were not in the car?

Does anyone on here know if there's a way to check for deformation of the structure of the bumper beneath the outer skin without having to remove it?

Looking at that bumper I would say that it has been flexed and the paint has cracked.
That's my view too. The paint looks a bit "dry" as well, which means it might be a previous repair that's failed as a result of another "parking event". It certainly looks nothing like the Fire Opal paint defects that MB have accepted responsibility for.

I have to agree with Robfen100, it looks like it's been under some pressure due to a "knock" and the paint cracked. Take it to the dealer anyway, you've got nothing to loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom