Firefox - Bookmarks Gone. Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neilrr

MB Enthusiast
Car
Various.
I left my PC on Stand By last night & it appears a new version of Firefox has installed itself over night.

About 2/3 of my Bookmarks have disappeared.

Dozens & dozens of sites have vanished & I know I'll never remember all of them.

Does anyone know how to get them back?

I left my PC on Stand By last night & it appears a new version of Firefox has installed itself over night.

About 2/3 of my Bookmarks have disappeared.

Dozens & dozens of sites have vanished & I know I'll never remember all of them.

Does anyone know how to get them back?

Just back date your computer to a couple of days ago in the help and support section

Grober - I tried that MozillaZine site & found that page but can't for the life of me find the Profile Folder they're on about.

TV - I've already tried a System Restore to a couple of days back when I know the Bookmarks were fine but it did nothing.

Grober - I tried that MozillaZine site & found that page but can't for the life of me find the Profile Folder they're on about.

TV - I've already tried a System Restore to a couple of days back when I know the Bookmarks were fine but it did nothing.

should have given you some more info.:eek:

Try this file I think its the one you want?

C:\documents and settings\ your user name[e.g. NEIL] \application data\mozilla\firefox\profiles\default.ynu\bookmarks.bak

you may also see another folder in the default.ynu folder called bookmarksbackup which has previous bookmark files

bookmarks.bak is a Firefox backup of bookmarks.html in case of computer failure (ex: power outage). When Firefox is started and bookmarks.html is either missing or reduced to "0", bookmarks.bak will be used, if present, instead of the default set of bookmarks.

If the bookmarks.bak file is there go to C:\programfiles\mozillafirefox\defaults\profile\bookmarks.html
rename the bookmarks.html to BM.html temporarily. Next time you open firefox it should automatically load bookmarks.bak to replace the missing file.

If not try copying a previous bookmark file from the bookmarksbackup folder into the correct folder within firefox. hope this is clear enough-havn't explained it too well.

Last edited:
Firefox bookmarks are located in the C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\default.utt folder.
If you can see bookmarks.html then you can import it.
In Firefox, click on Bookmarks > Manage Bookmarks > File > Import, then select 'From File', click 'Next', find the file you located, select it and click 'Open', and your bookmarks will be imported.

Happy New Year!

Dodgy ones as well ??? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom