Firewall advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
I have just had to re install everything on my computer and have in the past used ZoneLabs firewall. This product has served me ok in the past but has its limitations, is there a better one?

Using XP pro on a steam driven system (means its old )

I use Zone Alarm Ian - very occasionally won;t let legit stuff through but it's done me proud :D

Za

Hi Ian

Zone Alarm (free version) is well regarded by most, I like it too and think it represents good value ;-)

However, as you know it is not feature rich and you have to pay for the Pro version which is of course an an option open to you.

Regards
NormanB

I use Tiny Personal Firewall. Link

If you using a broadband cnx and have a spare PC (can be a low spec)SmoothWall Express 2.0 is available. Base on Linux it's available under the GNU license.

It's built off a CD and requires only a small comprehension of technical matters. It is very very good.

Check out http://smoothwall.org/ :D

Thanks for all the replies. I have Zone Labs Pro (had it before but was trying something out). It seems that the reason my system is slow here on the forum is down to said program. Just done a check of d/l speed and find that with Zone labs I get ........wait for it .............. 0.9kb/sec and without it I get 198kb/sec. Thinks I am going to get rid of it and try some of the options here. And to think I even paid for it too :crazy:

Ian B Walker said:
Just done a check of d/l speed and find that with Zone labs I get ........wait for it .............. 0.9kb/sec and without it I get 198kb/sec. Thinks I am going to get rid of it and try some of the options here. And to think I even paid for it too :crazy:
I'd complain to the software people, ask them why it makes MBClub so slow ?

Ian,
I have posted this link a while ago and surprised the offer is still available (free for year). Basically it's a full version of antivirus and firewall. I have it installed on my home computers and so far so good.
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

Eric

Ian B Walker said:
Thanks for all the replies. I have Zone Labs Pro (had it before but was trying something out). It seems that the reason my system is slow here on the forum is down to said program. Just done a check of d/l speed and find that with Zone labs I get ........wait for it .............. 0.9kb/sec and without it I get 198kb/sec. Thinks I am going to get rid of it and try some of the options here. And to think I even paid for it too :crazy:

Ian

I have no such problem with the free version ;-)

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling ZA Pro - definitely sounds like a glitch and there may be damaged files.

Regards
NormanB

Ian - are you absolutely sure it's ZA causing your problem? It could be worth checking with your ISP to see if they can route you through some other servers. I had to do this with ntl and things were greatly improved afterwards.

It could be some nasty spyware also getting in on the act. Just a couple of thoughts :D

Guys,

Zonelabs posted an upgrade to Zonealarm recently (Takes it to Vers. 5) if you have installed this update, that is probably why you are having problems.

The Zonelabs techies are frantically trying to repair the damage done by this upgrade, so go onto their site and see what they suggest.

Usually it will be to downgrade to the previous release for now.

Hope this helps
Steve

stevecuk said:
Guys,

Zonelabs posted an upgrade to Zonealarm recently (Takes it to Vers. 5) if you have installed this update, that is probably why you are having problems.

The Zonelabs techies are frantically trying to repair the damage done by this upgrade, so go onto their site and see what they suggest.

Usually it will be to downgrade to the previous release for now.

Hope this helps
Steve

I'm running V5 and have no probs :crazy: You watch - they'll fix it - upograde/update it then mine'll go slow :crazy: :D

If your worried about protection on the net, visit www.grc.com and run his port scanner and other nice bits.

Shields UP!

and

Probe my Ports (oh er missus)

Are 2 of the main test suites I run, they will tell you how open your home connection is.

Craig

I use ZoneAlarm on one of my boxes and I really can't say I've had any
issues with it (not V5). What myself and others are doing is putting ZA or something (similar) on workstations and having a second FW (like SmoothWall - see my earlier post) as the GateWay between your home network and the Internet - this is especially relevant if you've got Broadband.

Those of you out there with XP look out for the Service Pack 2 (SP2) due for
release by Microsoft in the next month or so. It will contain enhancements
to the inbuilt FireWall and will have a number of further security
features/fixes.

As Craigyb posted yesterday take a look at grc.com.....

If you want to test your own home FireWall then a good site can be reached
at www.grc.com follow the links to SHIELDSUP! the link is below:

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Clearly read the disclaimers but I've used the site to demonstrate vulnerabilities.

Have fun.

Guys, just be careful if you are going to use the XP SP2 upgrade, Microsoft are going to be pushing it very hard indeed, they want EVERYONE with XP to install this immediately.

It's a very good upgrade, but it does install and start the built-in firewall by default, so make sure you know how to turn it off if you use any other firewall product.

After looking at SP2 in detail it will be a must-have for all XP users, but as always treat it with caution.

Regards
Steve

XP SP2 & Firewall

stevecuk said:
It's a very good upgrade, but it does install and start the built-in firewall by default, so make sure you know how to turn it off if you use any other firewall product.

After looking at SP2 in detail it will be a must-have for all XP users, but as always treat it with caution.

Regards
Steve

Thanks Steve - I forgot to mention this. This is especially important in an office environment as your IT dept will no longer be able to see your machine :rolleyes: Of course it should be the IT guyz deploying the patch in the first instance.

Also - as it's such a big release I would suggest waiting for a short period after release so that any bugs which didn't surface during testing can be eliminated.

Ian B Walker said:

I've got Zone Labs Pro and Speedtouch 510 router firewall getting min 280kbs, i cant knock it so i bought it. Plus its stops some of my software for acessing the net when i dont want them to reducing more speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom