Firewalls and outgoing request blocking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

comports

Car
CLK 350 Cabriolet
I must be bored tonight...!!!

I have kids and as usuall they test me by going to sites that I have asked them not to go on due to virus etc... They have their own wireless pc in another room so it's not on my machine.

Is there a way I can set up some rules in the Home Hub Firewall that blocks requests going to certain urls..? If so how...?

I search google but perhaps not put the right terms in as nothing came back of any use. So for example... Say I want to stop them going to ebay.co.uk but perhaps not stop me going..? Is that possible.?

The quick version - Edit the hosts file on their machine to point the offending web sites at 127.0.0.1.

Longer instructions:

Navigate to c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc
Open the "hosts" file in notepad
Add line to redirect offending web site to 127.0.0.1 (the local machine).

e.g.

bbc.co.uk 127.0.0.1

this will block access to the bbc web site as it won't be found on the local machine.

Of course once they are IT literate enough they may work out what you've done.

create accounts for them and gve them guest privileges.
then use your admin account to bar them from accesing sites with mmc or computer management

If you have an internet protection suite like norton or mcafee installed on the kids' pc then you should be able to restrict access to sites directly through there, like recycled mentioned give the kids another username for windows (you dont need to give then password protection) but on the main windows account password protect it and make sure its set as an 'administator' account. Then open up your internet protection software and set the website you want to restrict for the kids' account, I have mcafee and you can set parental controls and time restrictions aswell!

WLeg... bet you sleep good at night with that desert eagle!?

Yes, only problems are that it only holds 8 rounds and makes the pillow lumpy......:D

Last edited:
If you want a "more advanced" solution and have any old computer lying around you can turn it into a transparent proxy. It plugs between your WAN and you LAN and all through-traffic MUST go through it.

Then on that machine you run a nifty piece of software that filters what can and can't be seen... The advantage of this is that even if they decide to bring another computer in that you haven't added protection to "www. playboy .com" will still be blocked...

With the more advanced systems you can do more than just blacklist URL's - you can also block pages by their content (e.g. a page with "hot naked chicks" in it can be blocked, even if its on google.com)
Michele

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom