Firmware updates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IanS320

Car
W221 S320
Should I expect any sat nav or firmware updates to take place as part of a scheduled service or do I need to ask (and pay extra) for them? Are they online anywhere (not suggesting pirate copies but previous cars have been free and or enthusiast updates have been available)?

Thanks.

Firmware updates are done via Service Updates using Star Diagnostics. Once your car is out of warranty I found that I have to specifically ask for this to be done at a service despite the advertising propaganda claiming that one should get one's mercedes serviced at a main dealership so that one gets all the free service updates.

I have found that the service department at my local dealership to be very keen to charge for service updates, so I usually leave this discussion out when I book the service and discuss this point with the service manager as I drop the car off for the service. I have always had to refer to the Mercedes propaganda to the service manager in order to get the service manager to agree to get my service updates done for free during the service.

I believe map updates are free if the vehicle is within its warranty period, but you can do this yourself by purchasing the appropriate disk once out of warranty. Please note that if you have a hard drive in your system you will need to use an original DVD and not a copy.

Last edited:
Thanks for that...good to know with service looming.

Bit irritated if I have to haggle for any updates, I just drove around a phantom roundabout according to my satnav, it's clearly still in the 'noughties'.

Even when they should be carried out free as part of the service, I've found it necessary to remind them. Some of the updates can take a long time and hog service bays so they're not always keen to do them. But they have to if you remind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom