First 1000 miles with my W212

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jayw13702

Car
2012 E220
About a week ago I bought a 2012 E220 SE Executive Estate, it’s done 97,000 miles and is immaculate, the history file that come with the car is impressive.

So in a week I’ve racked up about 1200 miles and had a chance to start to form an opinion and also have some questions as well.

Pluses - it drives very well, my previous car was a Lexus so the E220 had a challenge to match the ride quality and driving experience. It isn’t a sharp as the Lexus but then it’s a different style of car and as such I bought it to waft about it.
Equipment I cannot fault, everything works, the ambient lighting is a nice touch which gives it a very relaxing feeling at night. The seats are firm but even after a 300 mile trip I still feel quite refreshed.
Love the powered tailgate, wife has an E61 bmw and that tailgate is so heavy and cumbersome, she is very jealous.
Passengers in the back enjoy the ride quality and legroom, the back seat looks a little flat but is still comfortable.

I’m still getting used to the switchgear, there’s been a few times I have gone to indicate only to switch the cruise control on and having the wipers on the indicator stalk is a bit odd, but something I’ll get used to.

My biggest gripe is the hands free car kit. 99% of the car is just absolutely top quality but the phone kit is appalling, it loses the connection to the phone whilst on calls, doesn’t hang up properly, doesn’t allow phone book access and is generally really poor quality, mine is an Audio-50 with an NTG4.0 system.

I do about 300-350 miles a day on dual carriageway at about 70/75mph and a small amount of city driving, currently getting about 40-45 mpg, is this about right for an E220?

I’m really pleased With the car, it looks so much nicer than my wife’s E61 and certainly feel better put together

Good write up , what is the mpg you think you should be getting ? I would have thought that would have been higher than that .
What temperature is the thermostat/coolant showing on the dash ?

My biggest gripe is the hands free car kit. 99% of the car is just absolutely top quality but the phone kit is appalling, it loses the connection to the phone whilst on calls, doesn’t hang up properly, doesn’t allow phone book access and is generally really poor quality, mine is an Audio-50 with an NTG4.0 system

Speak to Commandonline.co.uk, they may be able to upgrade it for you, would be a worthwhile upgrade with you doing 1000 miles a week. Mention this forum as I believe they are sponsors

kc

Good write up , what is the mpg you think you should be getting ? I would have thought that would have been higher than that .
What temperature is the thermostat/coolant showing on the dash ?
I was hoping for late 40’s maybe early 50’s, temp is showing at about 85-90 on the dash.

I have a “whooshing” sound from 1200 rpm up to about 2500 and wonder if it’s a vac line or inter cooler hose with a small leak, going to investigate that this afternoon. That said it could be a normal om651 noise, I’m new to MB so it’s a learning curve

My biggest gripe is the hands free car kit. 99% of the car is just absolutely top quality but the phone kit is appalling, it loses the connection to the phone whilst on calls, doesn’t hang up properly, doesn’t allow phone book access and is generally really poor quality, mine is an Audio-50 with an NTG4.0 system

Speak to Commandonline.co.uk, they may be able to upgrade it for you, would be a worthwhile upgrade with you doing 1000 miles a week. Mention this forum as I believe they are sponsors

kc
Thanks, il drop them a message

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom