First CL65/W216 purchase planning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mozg31337

Car
Disco4
Hello everyone,

Was wondering if you could advice / answer a few questions before I make a purchase of my dream car, the CL65 W216. I have previously owned and driven a number of Mercedes, but not the AMG once. The CL model has always been a dream of mine and early next year might just be the right time to get myself onto the CL65 ladder.

From what I've seen on sale, the right hand drive CL65 W216 is a very rare item. It seems there are currently only 2 for sale in UK and they are 2007/2008 with about 80K miles on the clock. Ideally, I was hoping to get something with around 50K miles and the facelift version made after 2011. Not sure if there are many of those made to be honest. Anyone with the information can share some details please?

In Europe, however, there are plenty of CL65 for sale with left hand drive. There are also several cars with low milage and made after 2012. My question is should I bother with the left hand drive version from the practicality and cost point of view? I have no issue driving the left hand car in UK, done it many times. However, more from the insurance and 3rd party warranty point of view. Would it be totally impractical to get one from EU somewhere?

Also, could some one point me to the CL65 W216 buyers guide? Apart from the common ABC issues that I've read, are there any other pitfalls and money blackholes that I should know about?

Cheers

In the last 3 years I've been noticing CLs, I think I've only seen one facelifted CL65 and from what I've seen of the sellers cars (which readily seem to swap plates and looks - even in the same advert sometimes), I'd be suspicious if the car was even genuine.

How Many Left suggests a few were registered in the facelift years (except you don't know if it was a facelift or pre-facelift being registered...) so how many are actually left is not clear but my guess would be less than 10 now maximum.

There are more CL63 facelifts, and these are great for modification, but if you want original large oomph and the flagship model, you may have a wait.

Good luck with it.

In terms of issues, I think the coil packs give up on the V12 every 60k? £800 each (2 of) I believe.

ABC as you suggest - but other than that, uses the 5g auto which is fairly bombproof and the engine is pretty strong otherwise.

It's suspension and other parts that let it down rather than the engine / gearbox.

Buy a minter with good history in good shape is pretty much all you can do to try and avoid problems - and keep a moderate slush fund.

Don't know much about left hookers over here but I would want a RHD.

Hello everyone,

Was wondering if you could advice / answer a few questions before I make a purchase of my dream car, the CL65 W216. I have previously owned and driven a number of Mercedes, but not the AMG once. The CL model has always been a dream of mine and early next year might just be the right time to get myself onto the CL65 ladder.

From what I've seen on sale, the right hand drive CL65 W216 is a very rare item. It seems there are currently only 2 for sale in UK and they are 2007/2008 with about 80K miles on the clock. Ideally, I was hoping to get something with around 50K miles and the facelift version made after 2011. Not sure if there are many of those made to be honest. Anyone with the information can share some details please?

In Europe, however, there are plenty of CL65 for sale with left hand drive. There are also several cars with low milage and made after 2012. My question is should I bother with the left hand drive version from the practicality and cost point of view? I have no issue driving the left hand car in UK, done it many times. However, more from the insurance and 3rd party warranty point of view. Would it be totally impractical to get one from EU somewhere?

Also, could some one point me to the CL65 W216 buyers guide? Apart from the common ABC issues that I've read, are there any other pitfalls and money blackholes that I should know about?

Cheers
Bought one a couple of years ago and never regretted it. Only about 25 or so in the UK so not many to choose from. Probably only 4 or 5 facelifts were sold in the UK so choice limited- I've only seen one for sale and that had 120k miles on it and of course depreciation is bad. Of the 25 I saw 3 which were in effect total sheds! They do come up for sale if you are patient, there was one on ebay with 10k miles on it circa £42k.
I can't see LHD models being a problem, except insurance wise, or possibly slight delays in getting parts. Obviously don't buy blind from abroad.
As far as things to look out for are coil packs at roughly £1K each , front discs and pads at £1600, tyres about £250 ish, plugs £750 ish but largely pretty bullet proof engine and box. Service history you should study. Strangely some came with few options, but condition and history rule. Mileage anywhere from 6mpg to 22mpg.Good luck.
If you need any further info pm me and I'll try to help.

Awesome, thanks for the answers guys! I will be keeping an eye on them and check out a few insurance quotes for the LH/RH versions to see if it makes a huge difference.

Also, would you suggest getting an extended warranty for the CL65? Would the warranty even cover the most common failed parts, like the coils and suspension, etc.?

Cheers

Yes, very rare. As John mentioned if you want the Flagship model you will have to be very patient.

There is very little difference between the two in performance. As John also mentioned the Bi-Turbo engine is very easily modified.
I had my 63 mapped at MSL ( Birmingham ) 700bhp + 820lb/ft. I do understand the V12 is a totally different drive.

Being a member of the official MB Club you receive every quarter from MB Stuttgart "The Classic Magazine ", which I have just received. There was an article on future MB Classics and they predict that the W216 will become a Classic, as it was the last CL produced. According to the article there where 32,241 Worldwide the last CL came off the production line on the 7th January 2014

Good luck with your search.

Join the queue ! Like hens teeth ..........very rare
The last nice one I saw was with a dealer and sold within an hour of being listed
The rest are clearly crap as they are still for sale
I have test driven two and boy oh boy ..............just gorgeous
And the quilted leather is the stuff of dreams

Good hunting

yeah, this is indeed the issue with finding and inspecting a CL65. How would one suppose to inspect the car if you pretty much have to buy it as soon as it's released for sale, otherwise someone else will grab it asap. Very tricky indeed.

Getting one from Europe without an inspection is also a huge risk as the pictures don't tell the true story. Perhaps if one comes from a reputable car dealer with a warranty you can put some faith and order it. Otherwise, it's an Easyjet trip and hopefully a ride back home in a nice CL65.

Regarding the CL63 - it's a fantastic car for sure! No doubt! However, this is not my dream car as I have always been wanting an AMG CL with V12, which pretty much bloody limits it a single car. :rolleyes:

Regarding the classic status of W216 - I can see this happening. It has been out for about 12 years and the original design still looks pretty well. Perhaps I am bias towards this car.

I once tried to get hold of a facelift Estoril Blue E39 Alpina B10 V8.

I waited ages and eventually spoke to a "Ged Scanlon" (I think his name was) at Sytner Nottingham (who are the spiritual home of Alpinas) who said just go for an example you like. Estoril V8s were incredibly rare and you will have a long wait otherwise.

I took his advice and bought a different one and never did find what I really wanted - so his advice was good in the end.

So all I would say is be prepared for a wait if you are determined!

As for warranty, any aftermarket warranty will likely be shyte and full of "that's not covered as it is wear and tear".

As in my previous post - you are better self-insuring.

That said, if you can get one under Tier 1 Mercedes Warranty (if there are still tiers, I am not sure as things changed in recent times), everything will be covered for the term of the warranty.

However, I expect it will be tricky to find unless already under warranty, and the renewal price will likely be spectacular.

I waited ages and eventually spoke to a "Ged Scanlon" (I think his name was) at Sytner Nottingham.

Small world as I’m sure I went to school with Ged!

CL 600 with the V12 as an option but its not the "daddy" !
One of the very few facelift Cl600s again sold within hours of going on sale

And I agree that they will gain a following .I prefer the pre-facelift cars for looks
The rear end is cleaner and more classic

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

I agree with the looks part of the pre-facelift version. I have no bloody idea what Mercedes designers were thinking when they've put the reverse lights on the facelift version. It has ruined the looks IMHO.

Is there any difference in the engine and transmission between the facelift and pre-facelift? From what I can see from the specs, there is a difference in BHP. Is it because of the ECU remap or have they changed any parts as well?

The reason why I am after the facelift version is that I was hoping to get a newer car with lower miles which I can keep for a very very long time. Perhaps I will not sell it and keep it as a reminder of the first v12 I got. Typically, the facelift versions have improved a few parts here and there that they found failing in the first generation. So, hopefully the car will last a bit longer and will have less issues.

It’s the same engine in both. Doubt you’ll feel the difference driving both back to back.

Personally I prefer the facelift look for the lack of massive front arches but it’s not a deal breaker.

Typically fairly priced, low mileage, FMBSH cars don’t hang about but you still have a chance of a pre-purchase inspection. It depends on who’s selling it. With the car like this I’d rather buy from a company not a private individual.

It’s the same engine in both. Doubt you’ll feel the difference driving both back to back.

Personally I prefer the facelift look for the lack of massive front arches but it’s not a deal breaker.

Typically fairly priced, low mileage, FMBSH cars don’t hang about but you still have a chance of a pre-purchase inspection. It depends on who’s selling it. With the car like this I’d rather buy from a company not a private individual.
Depends on the individual of course. I bought mine privately- no warranty etc , but the seller was a genuine enthusiast, fastidious in the extreme, did not need the money, and really did not want to sell. I looked at an Sl65 last week from a private seller, very similar circumstances and would have been quite happy to buy from him, but the car was not quite what I wanted. Sometimes you are better buying from people like these than a company who basically don't give a toss about the car or you as a buyer.

Reactions: Abb
@oldguy57 There are exceptions to everything of course. My ‘65’ is getting a no questions asked full service with spark plugs, fluids and full health check with fixing things along the way as part of the deal. Some companies do give a toss. True for some individuals as well.

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

I agree with the looks part of the pre-facelift version. I have no bloody idea what Mercedes designers were thinking when they've put the reverse lights on the facelift version. It has ruined the looks IMHO.

Is there any difference in the engine and transmission between the facelift and pre-facelift? From what I can see from the specs, there is a difference in BHP. Is it because of the ECU remap or have they changed any parts as well?

The reason why I am after the facelift version is that I was hoping to get a newer car with lower miles which I can keep for a very very long time. Perhaps I will not sell it and keep it as a reminder of the first v12 I got. Typically, the facelift versions have improved a few parts here and there that they found failing in the first generation. So, hopefully the car will last a bit longer and will have less issues.
The CL500 and CL63 facelift engines are slightly smaller but achieve better performance via turbo. Suspension arms are a first point of failure if you go fast in shit roads. I hate the oval exhaust pipes on the CL63 makes it look so cheap.
Tempted to sell my CL500 facelift AMG line but the "classic" future investment is tempting. And it still is a head turner.

Sent from my J8110 using Tapatalk

There was a CL65 owner on the forum recently, called ‘BIRMA’. I enjoyed reading his threads on the ownership experience. A while ago (mid-2018?) he had the coil packs fail and then seemed to sell the car and I haven’t seen him post much since. It was a white CL65, from his description it seemed a good one with good history etc. No doubt it lives with a happy owner somewhere. If you search for his posts it might be a source of useful info.

It was Dave, he sold it to fund the purchase of a rare Alfa, Which didn't happen, unfortunately :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom