First disaster of 2013 and the year is but young

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Charles Morgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
Mercedes 250CE W114, Alfa Romeo GT Coupe 3.2 V6
So I set off for Waitrose in the 210 and as it hasn't rained thought I'd go the quick way via the ford. Water was higher than normal, but not deep enough to cause problems (or so I thought). Go through it, get up the hill into Gerrards Croos and there is a flapping/chugging noise that appears above 20mph,with a grating sound when braking. In the car park it becomes obvious - the black plastic spoiler undertray (no doubt someone will come along with the correct term) has been forced out of the spoiler, I suspect from the pressure of the water going through the ford and is flapping around.

I tried to push it back in, failed, so bought some string and tied it up for the short return journey. Lacking a large needle or knife (I'm not bad at sewing up meat for stuffing), my attempts didn't succeed for long.

Given the damage I suspect it needs to come off and be replaced - can I pull it off without doing anything serious to the car, so I can get it down to its second home in Horndean without incident?

210frontlip_zps4c79f939.jpg

jack the car up and unbolt it? surely it can be re-mounted maybe with some penny washers etc to help

Not really much help, but I think there was a thread on here that I read that stated it wasn't of great significance if it was removed. Don't quote me on that but I'm sure some one more qualified then me will be able to help.

As silversaloon says, it needs jacking to access the bolts/screws or clips, it looks a bit fubar'ed, hopefully someone on here has a replacement?

The nice garage 100 yds up the road got it all redone, although it needs a couple of clips at the back which they are getting. It must be said that it is a shorter journey than Horndean and the tea is much much better..;)

The front coach-screws must have either been rusty, so loose, or missing.

My under-tray had an "event" somewhere on the M1 near Newport Pagnell.

I've yet to manage tea in Horndean, but I'm tempted to do a write up on the local breakfast options as I've sampled all the local cafe's now and will be back for two more breakfasts next week :)

When I read the thread title I expected the fun and games to have started with the Rangie...

When I read the thread title I expected the fun and games to have started with the Rangie...

I'll tell you about them over a cup of tea, but not in public!

Meanwhile, replacement clips still not fitted to the 210 (garage forgot to order them until I chased them after a week, didn't take on board that I can't drive the 210 because the undertray is flexing and hitting the road above 20mph) and the owner having promised to sort it out, now the parts have arrived, they can't do it til Saturday, when I need the car. To compound it, they suggested I was using the 210 despite telling them I couldn't in order to speed them up. So I had to point out that I am using a car with a hole in the footwell which is letting in lots of water. I am not a happy bunny. This is why I am happy to drive 126 mile round trip to Olly, he does what he says he is going to do.

Last edited:
Alls well that ends well, they had a spot, I dropped it off, everything fitted, and they dropped it back to me at home, no charge for the work or the parts as it had taken so long. So all is redeemed.

Now on to the next disaster!

My under-tray had an "event" somewhere on the M1 near Newport Pagnell.

That would be because that road is part of the test route for 007's cars .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom