First Drive of W205 C63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephenSJason

Car
C63 Supercharged
Late to the party but, I was invited by my local dealer to their "AMG Performance Tour", basically a day where you could take test drives in a few AMG models without a sales pitch...which was odd.

I booked myself in for the new C63, the standard version and not the S but it had a few upgrades, albeit the standard power output and was the saloon, not the coupe. I have been toying with the idea of replacing my W204 with the W205 so it seemed like a sensible idea to try it, and to be honest I wasn't disappointed although I'd want a coupe; in my opinion the saloon just doesn't look as special.

Interior - Leaps an bounds ahead in comparison for W204, and also a big step up from the plastic fantastic A45 AMG. Everything feels well finished, the buttons feel nice to touch, are conveniently located look good. I especially liked the large centre-console, everything seemed to be leather bound and the COMAND navigation was quite easy. I thought the COMAND system in general to be very good, very technical mind but informative and not hindered with enough options and setups to detract from just getting in and enjoying a drive. Dare I say it, I didn't mind the "dashboard iPad" but, it is rather big. The one thing I wasn't nuts about was the location of the gear leaver, which is now a stalk fixed behind the steering wheel; I guess the American's had some input there. Still, having it there makes for a nice centre-console and it's only a matter of time getting used to it.

Exterior - Looks good, with and without Night Pack (the gloss black trimmings) but is a little understated for me taste in the saloon. I haven't seen a coupe but the photos look good, it looks wider and that's what the saloon is missing I think. Not crazy about the exhaust tips being an integral part of the bumper, but it is what it is.

Engine - This is where I expected to be disappointed, but I wasn't; it was rapid and didn't feel turbocharged, as in virtually no lag. They've done a good job at hiding the fact it is turbocharged but, if you're used to turbocharged engines you can still tell as you get a noticeable shove in the back low down and a tail off up top. It still had plenty of puff up there though and I don't think I'd be disappointed in the way it delivered the power if I owned one. Is it quicker than a standard W204 C63? Well, it probably is, certainly didn't feel any slower but I wasn't blown away with a night/day increase. Despite my praise, the engine definitely doesn't feel as frantic as the W204 M156, and although the 6.2 lacks the initial turbo-shove, it feels better everywhere else, especially top end where that engine is relentless. Next to my Eurocharged W204, the W205 did feel slower I had to admit so when I got back in mine, I was filled with joy when it tried to rip my face off.

Gearbox - No negative comments about the shifting. It's not Dual Clutch quick but it felt quicker than the W204 MCT box and perfectly suits the engine. The downshift blips are still there in S+ (didn't try Manual) and sound good, but the engine has a noticeably deeper note than the M156 in W204. Comfort Mode is as chilled out as you'd expect, just generally lazy for those times you can't be bothered to put your foot down.

Suspension/Handling: Sadly, it felt a lot better than the W204. It was precise with less roll and happier with sharp direction changes. The dampers were stiffness adjustable but even in "soft mode" it is stiff, but I liked that and would probably stiffen it up most of the time to suit my personal tastes as I like to feel the road. All in all, not surprised it laps quicker than the W204. It felt like a good middle ground between BMW M4 and W204 C63 actually.

Exhaust - Thankfully this car had the AMG Performance Exhaust, as I tried it with the valves closed and it was way too quiet. The exhaust is operated from a button on the centre-console, it's either on or off. With the valves open it's a lot louder and sounds really good, a nice meaty V8 but admittedly sounds unlike the M156 6.2L and has it's own soundtrack. I think it's probably futile to try to compete with the old engine but this barked realy nicely. Again, valves open you get a lovely rumble in the cabin throughout the Rev-range, which reminds you that you're in something special. I forgot to ask if the sound is synthesized through the speakers, if it is then disregard the above but otherwise, I'd actually enjoy cabin rumble like this in my W204.

Overall, really impressed with it and eventually I can see myself in one but today, I still love my W204 too much and there's not enough of a drastic changed to forget about the "old" one just yet. The W205 lacks the soul of the W204 if you ask me, but it is no doubt a VERY fast, capable modern performance car. Like it or not, this is the way cars have gone so, I either learn to shut up and run my W204 for life, or get with the times I suppose.

While is was there, I also took a drive in the C43 AMG. I probably should have driven that first as it felt way behind the C63 in performance terms but everywhere else it wasn't far off. I can't imagine myself ever owning one, but for the people in the market for things like the Audi S5, BMW M2/440i and the like I'd say it was a decent contender.

The icing on the cake was the S65 AMG Coupe, all £180k worth. It felt like a spacecraft, too big for me but was surprisingly nimble. The power delivery is just effortless and there is no drama whatsoever but for the price (if I was ever in the bracket), I'd have a hard time choosing this over a supercar.

The W205 definitely has faster acceleration than the W204 .

Like you I've been round a track in both, but with all things taken in to consideration I would not trade up.

No way

Great write up btw !

Good write up cheers.

That's twice I've read this write up now , very good read !

I have to wait till the end of October before I'll be in a position to buy either a W204 or W205 and it's a tough choice ! The interior of the W205 (I love the seats from the S model) combined with the cheaper road tax and tune-ability are very appealing however the cheaper purchase cost, lower depreciation and sound of the 6.2n/a motor is a winner ....

Is it feasible that if I bought a mint , sub 10k miles W204 for say 36k , it might hold its value or dare I say it , possibly appreciate ? Engines like this will never be built again !

Newer is better but I'd stick with M156 on this occasion for as long as possible. Granted it's never going to be as good as M113K no matter how many superchargers you strap to it (@Bruno & Lee) but that new high 3L engine is just slap in the face.

:D

You'll be financially better off buying a W204 C63 that's had the heavy 1-2yr depreciation and some more. I can't say whether or not depreciation is slowing or halting but it seems slow at the moment after the last two years where things have slipped around £5k per year for decent examples. What I have been told by my dealer is that they're willing to pay more for good PP and Edition 125 cars so if it's not a 507 that you're in for, I'd look at those.

The first W205 saloons are now in the £40k bracket so that give you indication of what's to come for brand new ones. Some coupes, barely 6mths old are in the £50k's so again, good indication of what you stand to lose. I'd expect the W205 to fall more quickly than the W204 as it doesn't have the holy grail engine and isn't lusted after in the same manner, despite being the newer, more technologically advanced and quicker car. The W205 will be caught from free-fall mind you by the W204 prices so at some point it will stabalise. I'd not expect a W204 to be worth more than a W205 for many years yet so you can probably forget the W204 appreciating in value any time soon; they'll all end up low-mid £20k's eventually but at present it's only the early ones/high milers there.

Like I say, I'm not falling over myself to get into a W205, but I likely will next year when I've watched the coupe market sufficiently. The W204 is great, and I was reminded of this on Sunday when five of us met up and went for a blast with varying levels of tune/exhaust. The hills were alive with the sound of Hell and small children the county over were crying. It's been a while since I took my car out for a proper drive, and all that did was convince me to keep the car longer and throw some headers on it.

Newer is better but I'd stick with M156 on this occasion for as long as possible. Granted it's never going to be as good as M113K no matter how many superchargers you strap to it (@Bruno & Lee) but that new high 3L engine is just slap in the face.

:D

What do you mean about the 3 litre engine, interested in your views/comments

I think the 4.0L M178 is 3982cc which is what he is commenting on :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom