First ever merc purchase - advice on used E-class estate models please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Buy newer and high mileage rather than older and low-mileage, and the bigger the engine the better (less stressed = less likely to have been thrashed); MB power trains stand up to high mileage well.

With your annual mileage, a high-mileage car will come closer and closer to average mileage the longer you own it, thus somewhat reducing depreciation.

The W211 SBC snag crops up a lot on here, and seems to be expensive to fix, but later models went back to a humble servo; they don't suffer the problem and I've seen no complaints about their brake efficiency.

If you are having trouble finding the car you want, an S210 (W210 estate, though nearly everyone just calls it a W210...)) could be a good stopgap until either it dies, or the car you want comes up. I bought a 100k miler E55 (S210) earlier this year. £280 annual road tax. It is very roomy, but pretty thirsty around town, though I get around 25mpg at a steady 75-80 on the motorway. Mine's not significantly rusty (combination of luck and research), but many are, I gather.

HTH

E55BOF

Actually, that's how I read it.

:thumb: just me being dense early in the morning then :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom