First ever speeding ticket arghh!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
C63 , E350 CDI, C320 CDI, SQ7
Today after driving for 21 years, I got my first dam speeding ticket. Coming off the slip road into Glasgow airport, I got caught doing 35 in a 20 zone. I'm so annoyed as the road was totally clear in front and the two coppers were hanging behind the fence on the left with the 5 series hidden further down. I was told i could have been in a collision with a tanker carrying kerosene. So, beware if you are going to the airport,you are an easy target for the coffers.

Sneeky buggers but at 35mph you're a fair % over. Is it a ticket or have you got a report to the procurator fiscal?

Ticket thankfully. I knew the % was high too. I was in the super quick Golf on a trailing throttle. Had I pressed it a tiny bit I would have doing 50+ easy.

Welcome to the club - you've done well staying out for this long.

I got my first ticket doing 56mph in a 30mph back in 1994.

To be fair, it was outside Biggin Hill Airport on a dual carriageway in the early hours - you can see on Google Streetmap it hardly warrants a 30mph...

Got my second and last in 2002 - I went on the wrong side of the road to see if that would evade capture once I knew it was too late - nawp... although I'd slowed down enough to not be going too fast.

:eek:

Was very early in the morning mind... my conscience is clear on both counts.

:D

Hmm... just had a look at BH airport. It's not a two lane dual carriageway anymore - it's completely changed now so probably does warrant it now....

Another favourite place for tickets is on the M4 between the new Severn Crossing and the toll booths. The speed limit drops to 50 and the heddlu lie in wait on an overbridge. The first you'll know about it is when the ticket lands on your doormat.

Many of my colleagues have been done there.

Today after driving for 21 years, I got my first dam speeding ticket. Coming off the slip road into Glasgow airport, I got caught doing 35 in a 20 zone.

Naughty. And I don't condone 35 in a 30 let alone a 20.

However I also have a dim view for the traffic arrangements at Glasgow Airport since they started screwing over passengers and taxi-drivers over pickup arrangements over the last 10 years.

So .... you might consider.

It's marked as a 20mph *zone* and AIUI the requirements for a zone are that there be regular traffic calming features (these may be 20 roundels on the road or speed humps or whatever) such that you are always within 50m of such a feature (so feature every 100m). The end of the zone must also be clearly marked.

As opposed to a 20mph limit where the limit repeater signs must be provided at appropriate intervals.

Now my recollection is that there are no such traffic calming features until the drop off zone is approached. Which is a long way from the slip road.

Now if they've plonked down some roundels or humps recently the zone will be valid. If not then it probably isn't.

I don't think the fact that it's not a proper public road exempts them from meeting the 20mph zone requirement if they expect the normal rules to apply and for them to be enforced by Strathclyde's finest.

If it isn't a public road do the Police have any enforcement powers in any case?

If it isn't a public road do the Police have any enforcement powers in any case?

Private roads can be treated as public in some circumstances.

And airports also seem to be historically covered by some separate rules (BAA were actually owned by HMG until privatisation) in addition to having their own byelaws.

Speeding

Bad luck, last time i got caught was in 1973, endorsment and
a £10 fine, have to be carefull now iv'e said that.

Hi Harry
My wife just got caught doing 52 in a 40 zone on a dual carriageway. She was give the opportunity to take a speed awareness course which she will do cost £90 but no points.
To qualify you must be within 10% plus 9mph of the prevailing speed limit. Unfortunately for you, you do not qualify, b***er

By the way when I attended one a couple of years ago the first question was "has anyone driven in a 20 mph zone today". No one put their hand up although every body had as the road the centre was on was in a 20mph zone, no body new.
Paul

Hi Harry
My wife just got caught doing 52 in a 40 zone on a dual carriageway. She was give the opportunity to take a speed awareness course which she will do cost £90 but no points.
To qualify you must be within 10% plus 9mph of the prevailing speed limit. Unfortunately for you, you do not qualify, b***er

By the way when I attended one a couple of years ago the first question was "has anyone driven in a 20 mph zone today". No one put their hand up although every body had as the road the centre was on was in a 20mph zone, no body new.
Paul
Hi Paul
In Scotland , we don't have the speed awareness courses available. I'm so annoyed as I was just calmly coasting into the airport and out of nowhere they jumped out and proceeded to tell me how it would have been so easy to hit a tanker. They asked me if I had any points, I said not one in 21 years of driving. Now, if I had been the officer, I would have pointed out the signs on the road and told me to be extra careful. Never having a ticket or anything in that time period the officer should have maybe thought this guy is not a bad driver but, no chance. Get him ticketed so we can have better police cars etc

Which section is this? was it the slip from the West bound M8 the 270 degree left hander then under the M8 and left towards the Hangers or did you go around the "8" roundabout and passed the multi story and holiday inn on your left going eastbound?

Reason I ask is that I am seeing more and more presence of "T" cars at the moment

Another favourite haunt is the M77 the underpass at Pollokshaws onslip heading South the car sits hidden on the slip road you only see it when it's too late, they then jump you at the opening a mile before Silverburn cut-off.

Hi Paul
In Scotland , we don't have the speed awareness courses available. I'm so annoyed as I was just calmly coasting into the airport and out of nowhere they jumped out and proceeded to tell me how it would have been so easy to hit a tanker. They asked me if I had any points, I said not one in 21 years of driving. Now, if I had been the officer, I would have pointed out the signs on the road and told me to be extra careful. Never having a ticket or anything in that time period the officer should have maybe thought this guy is not a bad driver but, no chance. Get him ticketed so we can have better police cars etc

So what difference would it have made if you had 9 points on your license? Would he have let you off?

Another favourite place for tickets is on the M4 between the new Severn Crossing and the toll booths. The speed limit drops to 50 and the heddlu lie in wait on an overbridge. The first you'll know about it is when the ticket lands on your doormat.

Many of my colleagues have been done there.

I *hate* the approach to the M6 Toll - absolutely nobody slows to 50 at the signs and then they drop to 30 where many drivers are only then braking from about 85. I've been done a couple of times over the years and really don't want to get nabbed again slowing down has cars tearing up behind you.

I turned 40 last year and have been driving since I was 17, touch wood I have never had a speeding ticket and only ever had 1 parking ticket.
Did get a letter through the post a couple of years ago from West Sussex police stating that I had been caught on a mobile camera doing 43 in a 30 (long straight piece of road just outside a village) but as it was my first dealings with this force they would let me off with a warning. Was quite thankful for that.

I have a mate in his early 50's who's been a sales rep for many years, so has done a lot of miles, and never had speeding ticket. Then he got 3 in 2 weeks. Now he's sat on 9 points for 3yrs absolutely crapping himself.

its the luck of the draw, but whatever u do never get someone to take the points for u, too easy to be tripped up, just put your hand up and sleep easy, better than getting jail time because of bitter ex partners!! if u get 12 points u can always get excused a ban if u can show hardship, mind u insurance premiums will be up a bit for a few years until they are spent

If you have 9 points you can have a ticket you have to be sent straight to court..

I know someone who got caught in her BMW and when the Copper stopped her, she said "You can't give me any points", to which he replied "that's for me to decide, not you", so she went on to explain she already had 9 points so couldn't be given any at the scene.

He then said...."Black Celica"....

He had done her previously...:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom