First Gear Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I could never understand this thing about some autoboxes starting in 2nd. Surely it should be called a 4 speed or 3 speed box if it does not use 1st gear??

Me either. What kind of hell is having to start in 2nd gear?

Surely it makes more sense efficiency wise to use the lower gear, even if only briefly?

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
What kind of hell is having to start in 2nd gear?
Try setting off in 2nd gear and see what you think Graham.

1st gear tends to be a bit twitchy in most cars, more so with powerful ones. Setting off in 2nd gear adds that touch of class and smoothness you expect from a quality MB. :)

Originally posted by Shude
Try setting off in 2nd gear and see what you think Graham.

1st gear tends to be a bit twitchy in most cars, more so with powerful ones. Setting off in 2nd gear adds that touch of class and smoothness you expect from a quality MB. :)

I sometimes use 2nd if I have just the slightest of mementum, but from a standing start on the flat, I just don't see the point. I think I need to go back to BMW for my next car.........:eek:

I always thought that the second gear take off was to do with the cars complying with some form of emisions regulations - nothing to do with smoothness/performance.

Of course I could be wrong :)

Andy

Originally posted by andy_k
I always thought that the second gear take off was to do with the cars complying with some form of emisions regulations - nothing to do with smoothness/performance.

Of course I could be wrong :)

Andy

Whatever the reason, it's sick.

did anyone see top gear on sunday ...

That aston that could take off in 4th gear :D

I used to read a mag called Fast Lane (anyone remember that one?) and they had a Corvette on long-term test. I recall that used to start in *5th* gear. Something to do with US emission regs. I think they tried to modify it, but can't remember if they succeeded.

Cheers

Andrew

I think you'll find that Andy's right, the 2nd gear start was for meeting emmissions and fuel economy limits set by US government.

If the average consumption of a car manufacturers output is too low, they get fined (presumably with some kind of import duty). As most MBs are big-engined, they need to do everything they can to drag the average down, hence the 2nd gear start.

Personally, I like the 2nd gear start on my 320CE, it's smooth, not particularly sluggish and I'll bet it saves me some dosh (a bit, anyway).

It's so easy to select 1st with the gearstick when you need to show the speed-Kevins who's boss, that I can't see a problem. In fact, if I was asked to design a device for giving the occasional 1st gear start I couldn't come up with a better solution than a gearstick;)

All my bigoted rantings above only apply to the larger engines. I would guess that a 2 litre engined MB would be a pain in the **** to get off the line in 2nd.........

As someone once said,(might have been me), if you've got a torque converter, you also need some torque to convert.........

This thread got me thinking (dangerous, i know). I've always found my car hangs onto second a bit too long at low speeds when the engine is cold. This means:
- engine-braking effect is excessive,
- change from 2nd to 3rd is not very smooth.

I tried starting out in 'W' this morning till the engine warmed up. I found it much better.

With this second gear start if you booted it and used the kick down as well will it go into fist gear then onto second.

Holding on to 2nd gear

I believe the reason this is held on when the engine is cold is to heat up the catalyst more quickly in the exhaust.
On later models, it can be programmed out however, earlier models, like mine, have to make do....!

Re: Holding on to 2nd gear

Originally posted by Paul64
I believe the reason this is held on when the engine is cold is to heat up the catalyst more quickly in the exhaust.

This is true! It is more important to warm the Cat up quickly than the Engine. Unless you want to buy a new Cat every year.:D

As stated, my 320CE starts off in second. To heat the Cat up quickly from cold, it has an air pump.

I'm assuming that these always go together, but who knows?

I say it has an air pump.........what I should have said is that it used to have an air pump, I chucked the useless thing away 'cos I don't give a shit about air pollution, and it was making a whole load of noise.........

Ill put money on your Jensen Starting off in first tho paul :D :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom