First impression of the Kleemann KDBox for the CDI.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KosherBenz

Car
2006 E320 CDI
1. Incredible power
2. 1 hour max install, same for deinstall if needed. If you want to deinstall, you can buy one small $5 plastic piece if you want it 100% back to stock.
3. Gas milage same or improved, I averaged 39.3 mpg on the 45 minute drive into work today. usually I get 37-38 mpg.
Yes, there is smoke under full throttle, but I didnt think it was any worse than when it was stock and under full load. :y
~Evan

Sounds great.

Ps.

Please don't post every thread in the Off Topic section!

KosherBenz said:
Yes, there is smoke under full throttle, but I didnt think it was any worse than when it was stock and under full load.

If you can see smoke in the mirror when you're driving then there must be an awful lot of it! Or is that comment based on what others see?

BTB 500 said:
If you can see smoke in the mirror when you're driving then there must be an awful lot of it! Or is that comment based on what others see?

Have you seen a modern TD engined car driven in anger? Come on, this is "normal".

GrahamC230K said:
Have you seen a modern TD engined car driven in anger? Come on, this is "normal".
Compared to a ford or a jaguar it'll be insignificant I'm sure! ;)

GrahamC230K said:

I am being very polite here and merely pointing out that Kosher is a US based member and their diesel fuel is I believe not of the same quality as European fuel?

This is NOT an anti US message, I am NOT starting a political debate, I am merely talking about quality of fuel. All the recent records in the US obtained by the new V6 320CDI were acheived by using imported European fuel.

John

GrahamC230K said:
Have you seen a modern TD engined car driven in anger?

Only from the outside. From experience (with knackered petrol engines, not diesels ;)) a LOT of smoke is needed for the driver to notice it! And I've not personally seen a TD car throwing out that much, which is why I queried it :)

I've followed many a VAG diesel, myself at full pelt at many occassions and and under hard accelleration out of a roundabout or something there is considerable smoke. With the popularity, I could never be sure these were not modified for sure, but I doubt all of them!

Glojo - you have exceeded yourself this time with long winded caution not to upset anyone ;) , but I know the US use lesser grades of unleaded, so I'm sure the same is likely to be true for diesel. Good point.

Last edited:
glojo said:
their diesel fuel is I believe not of the same quality as European fuel?

Don't know, but for gasoline the minimum octane in the UK is 95 RON whereas I think US 'regular' is 91-92 RON (although higher grades are available).

GrahamC230K said:
I've followed many a VAG diesel, myself at full pelt at many occassions and and under hard accelleration out of a roundabout or something there is considerable smoke.

Me too, but honestly you need an awful lot for it to be visible in the rear view mirror (unless you're driving at night when the following headlights show it up). I'll shut up now :)

In both the BMW and the VW the smoke is only noticeable in the lights of other cars. Although when my wife has been driving the BMW I do see a great cloud of smoke come out when I give it a boot the first time - almost as if it's having a good clear out! - then it settles back to normal.

The VW has done nearly 110miles now so a bit of smoke is acceptable to me, although I'm re-assured by the lack of obvious clouds of the stuff :D

My C-Class with a TB only gave noticeable smoke under hard acceleration and again only in other cars lights.

BTB 500 said:
Don't know, but for gasoline the minimum octane in the UK is 95 RON whereas I think US 'regular' is 91-92 RON (although higher grades are available).
Ever had a ground hog experience.:D I say service booklet, you say manual.;) (in joke)

Your referring to gasoline or petrol, I am talking about diesel for Kosher's very nice US vehicle.

John

glojo said:
Your referring to gasoline or petrol, I am talking about diesel for Kosher's very nice US vehicle.

Sure, I just meant that because the spec. for gasoline is different to here it's quite possible the same applies to diesel.

BTB 500 said:
Sure, I just meant that because the spec. for gasoline is different to here it's quite possible the same applies to diesel.

Our diesel is of a far higher quality, hence my reference to them importing the diesel for the V6 CDI to obtain the World Records.

Just think back to when we had a similar diesel fuel. with all the black smoke belching out of diesel engines. We can all give different examples about differing engines smoking under certain conditions but we are using a European spec fuel, Kosher is obviously using his countries fuel.

John

KosherBenz said:
1. Incredible power
2. 1 hour max install, same for deinstall if needed. If you want to deinstall, you can buy one small $5 plastic piece if you want it 100% back to stock.
3. Gas milage same or improved, I averaged 39.3 mpg on the 45 minute drive into work today. usually I get 37-38 mpg.
Yes, there is smoke under full throttle, but I didnt think it was any worse than when it was stock and under full load. :y
~Evan

Question - how long did it take to fit ? Is it pricey ?

Thanks.

Kosher needs to nip over to Florida to see if the Audi team left any Shell fuel behind after winning the Sebring 12 hour race with their R10 diesel! Bet that wasn't US forecourt spec ;)

saorbust said:
Question - how long did it take to fit ? Is it pricey ?

Thanks.
The unit was $1100 USD from Kleemann, I got lucky and bought it off of someone who sold his 2006 CDI to get a M3. Install was less than a hour and I did it myself.

Let me clarify, Diesel fuel in the US is Shitty compared to Euro Diesel. ( I think the octane rating is like 84 or something here)

When my car was completely stock, if I casually pulled away from a light I saw no smoke. If I floored it, I saw quite a bit of smoke.

With or without the box, it appears to be the same. :D

KosherBenz said:
When my car was completely stock, if I casually pulled away from a light I saw no smoke. If I floored it, I saw quite a bit of smoke.

With or without the box, it appears to be the same. :D

I cannot say that I have noticed any smoke from my car even when booted.:confused:

So it must be the grade of fuel used.

Brian WH said:
I cannot say that I have noticed any smoke from my car even when booted.:confused:

So it must be the grade of fuel used.

Maybe that is because you boot it all the time!

But as noted above smoke does seem to become an issue if car is driven gently for a bit.

Last year really mortified when after a week of SWMBO driving I laid down a HUGE grey/black smokescreen going up to M4 from Windsor. Gave it a bootful from lights to get away from a fool and ohhhh it was horrible!

But it was just the one blast of accumulated crud in the exhausts and not seen again until, yes, another week of me not driving.

All TDIs coke up when run at low rpm for periods. I used to work with 1MVa generating sets and they used to cover you in lumps of the stuff on startup after a warmdown.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom